Anyone succeeding with Asus U3S6 on a NON-Asus board? (SATA & USB PCIe card)

zuboici

I just ran out of SATA ports, OS, data, a mirror and a stripe means no room left for optical drive.

Someone suggested a cheapy SATA PCIe card but I've avoided cheapy SATA PCIe cards so far.

Someone else suggested the Asus U3S6 - Has both a pair of SATA and a pair of USB 3.0. Kills two birds with one stone but

1. There's a question over compatibility - Asus state several Asus P55 boards it's supposed to work with in their compatibility list
  2. There may be two versions of this product with different controllers

Does anyone, particularly on a board that's not Asus, have any experience with the Asus U3S6?

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe

bump

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

another bump

Saturday bump so no, no one's having any success or no one's having any problems or no one has even tried or nobody cares...?

It's not an immediate need but if one day I need to read a disc...

It's not a commonly used piece of hardware which might be why there are very few responses...

My two cents:
It's a SATA and USB Card... Not much can go wrong there...

You might want to look into external optical drives instead... They might end up being the better investment...

It's not a commonly used piece of hardware which might be why there are very few responses...

My two cents:

It's a SATA and USB Card... Not much can go wrong there...

You might want to look into external optical drives instead... They might end up being the better investment...

Hi, thanks for the reply, yeah not many people using them.

It seems such an elegant solution - only thing missing is a USB 3.0 internal header.

I was intending to hack one of my PCIe 1x slots and bench it against my only other option - x16 slot. Now I can see mobo batery and mSATA are in the way of putting it in the 1x so whatever, I expect it'll be fine in the 16x, finding someone who has already done it not so important now.

Hi, thanks for the reply, yeah not many people using them.

It seems such an elegant solution - only thing missing is a USB 3.0 internal header.

I was intending to hack one of my PCIe 1x slots and bench it against my only other option - x16 slot. Now I can see mobo batery and mSATA are in the way of putting it in the 1x so whatever, I expect it'll be fine in the 16x, finding someone who has already done it not so important now.

I suggest against attempting to damage/modify your mobo in any way...

What mobo are you using right now?

I suggest against attempting to damage/modify your mobo in any way...

What mobo are you using right now?

I wouldn't suggest it but I might consider doing it.

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

I wouldn't suggest it but I might consider doing it.

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

Put it in the second blue slot (the one labeled PCIe x4)... Should work fine...

And since we're talking expansion cards here, chances of driver conflicts would also be slim...

Are you sure you don't want a raid controller instead of this expansion card seeing that you already have a raid array?

Aha! You're right that other blue one is x4! Wonder if the x16 will run at x8 with both blues populated? Won't make any diff but nice to know beforehand.

I've ended up not using cards for RAID in the past because one that *really is* a RAID controller (LSI, Intel, ???) ain't cheap and the ones that are cheap are also nasty (and not actually RAID controllers). Similar thing for USB 3 so this card is worth a try. It only needs to handle a DVD drive.

I'm letting Windows handle RAID now, might be OK. I plan to unplug them and just plug them straight back in next time I update my board and CPU, see how Windows handles it! :o