Photo Editing CPU

Go to solution Solved by Krytopsy,

i5 over 8350, I've looked in benchmarks for another guy that wanted photo editing rig

Just wondering - Would a stock 8350 perform better than an i5 4460 in photo editing? Looking to build a rig for a friend.

There'll probably be a GTX 760 on it for Cuda acceleration and OpenGL acceleration. 

Would it make much of a difference in adding effects to 50MB Picture files?

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Just wondering - Would a stock 8350 perform better than an i5 4460 in photo editing? Looking to build a rig for a friend.

There'll probably be a GTX 760 on it for Cuda acceleration and OpenGL acceleration. 

Hmm...I thinks it's worth looking at benchmarks for what you're asking. They can help you out a lot.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Do you know what program they'll be using?

My dad uses lightroom and he said that his experience was improved when I overclocked his cpu, and again when I added more memory to his system.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

i5 over 8350, I've looked in benchmarks for another guy that wanted photo editing rig

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

I just upgraded from an i5 to and i7 and notice alot faster editing in Lightroom. So you may want to go with the i5 for now, and he can always upgrade later.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

5820K or 4790K

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

5820K or 4790K

not really what he was asking and not at all in his price range...

Have you considered an AMD kaveri? It rocks at open CL stuff like photoshop.

Do you know what program they'll be using?

My dad uses lightroom and he said that his experience was improved when I overclocked his cpu, and again when I added more memory to his system.  

I don't, unfortunately. I'm stuck with the 8350 or the 4460. Obviously the 4460 can't be OCed but if I want an aftermarket cooler for the 8350 it'll add to the cost of the build.

Also, it's for a friend, so I want it to be as stable as possible.

hmm i guess above 4 cores the scaling isn't that great, right? :/

not really what he was asking and not at all in his price range...

True! Thanks :)

Have you considered an AMD kaveri? It rocks at open CL stuff like photoshop.

I have, and it'll be great if it's only for photo editing, but he wants to do gaming, too. So I'd prefer a CPU+dedicated GPU combo (also, with the release of the Athlon X4 860k, getting a CPU plus an R7 250 would give better overclocking headroom as well as better performance.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

Damn, you're right lol G3258 overclocked is pretty much on par with i5 for photo editing xD But when it's about video, now it's scale but not for photo editing stuff.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Don't believe Veil, A10 and FX-8350 shit in their pants vs the G3258 which is double the performance of AMD ones xD

Man, when G3258 released every tech youtubers were stocked on it and I was like nah, no interest I'm all about i7 but that processor is a "%$&*/%&% (how many letters are in the word fucking?) beast for 70$.

Don't believe Veil, A10 and FX-8350 shit in their pants vs the G3258 which is double the performance of AMD ones xD

I think so, but I don't like having only 2 cores... It seems that in the future with multithreading it won't perform so well, and Z97 boards are expensive :x

I think I'll get the 4460 or whatever else fits in his budget, with a H81 board.

I built my wife a cheap AMD FX system and it was painful to watch her work in Ps, gave away the FX and built her a proper i5-4690k. Ps files into the 1GB+ range are now staggeringly fast. Only way the 8350 would make sense is if they were doing a large amount of video editing/encoding and couldn't afford an i7.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I am heavy photo editor. Intel over AMD all day, all night. For editing i5 will be good, but for exproting pictures i7 or Xeon will benefit (Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop)

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10