TN vs IPS. What's the difference

pikkie-mahn-mastah

I've seen a lot of talk about how one is better than the other. I really want to know the difference for future reference

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

Angles and colours. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

IPS has better colours and viewing angles, CAN have some problems with ghosting. Typically they are better screens.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

IPS is more color accuret and has better viewing angles meaning that you can look at it from below and above and the colors wont change. Disadvantages highest refresh rate 75hz and worse latency normally around 5msand ghosting

TN worse colors horrible viewing angles cheeper but up to 144hz refresh rate and 1ms lag

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

IPS is more color accuret and has better viewing angles meaning that you can look at it from below and above and the colors wont change. Disadvantages highest refresh rate 75hz and 8ms lag and ghosting

TN worse colors horrible viewing angles cheeper but up to 144hz refresh rate and 1ms lag

Not all IPS panels have an 8ms latency. Mine's 5ms and it's a pretty entry level IPS monitor.

To the original post, basically what all above me said.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

TN:

Cons:

Low viewing angles

Worse color reproduction

Can have color distortion on bigger screens even when sitting directly in front of the screen

Pros:

Capable of higher than 60Hz refresh rates (Requires DVI Dual link or DP to work though)

Capable of lower than 5ms response times

When comparing to equal spec IPS it's cheaper

Lower power consumption

IPS:

Cons:

Maxes out at 60Hz really unless you go crazy expensive or OC the panel

5ms response time at the lowest making it unsuitable for competitive high-paced games like CS:GO

More risk of ghosting/backlight bleed

More power consumption

Pros:

Superb viewing angles as high as 178 degrees for both vertical and horizontal

Excellent color reproduction

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I believe Linus has covered this in a video somewhere. Can someone be so helpful as to find it and post it for the OP? :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I believe Linus has covered this in a video somewhere. Can someone be so helpful as to find it and post it for the OP? :)

LCD Monitor Panels Types - TN vs IPS vs VA as Fas…: http://youtu.be/zNc2fKuVnGU

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

LCD Monitor Panels Types - TN vs IPS vs VA As Fast As Possible

That wasn't quite the video I had in mind, but thanks anyway. That'll still help him. :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

-snip-

Yes, that's the video I was after. Thanks. Top job! :)