Memory issues

glass3

So a few days ago I bought some new hardware for my PC, i7-4790K, Asus Maximus VII Hero and MSI GTX 970. After installing the new hardware into the PC I wasn't able to boot getting q-code 55 (memory not installed). After moving around the ram a few times I found I'm only able to boot with the two sticks in two seperate channels. I don't believe that either stick is overclocked as they were running in the same channel on my old motherboard.

I've triewd updating to the latest BIOS to see if it would fix it but with no luck. 

My question being should I run the two sticks in the different channels or should I return the motherboard to the store and get another one. In the motherboard manual the ram sticks were compatible. 

Full hardware specs:

Asus maximus VII Hero

i7-4790K

MSI GTX 970

Kingston HyperX Genesis

Antec 800W PSU 

Intel 120GB SSD

WD 1TB HDD

Windows 7 64bit

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Thanks for all the advice, after also talking to Asus support I'm gonna go return the motherboard to the store.

Have you tried using them seperately in the "malfunctioning channels"? Well its most likely that the problem is from the motherboard. But then again you cant be sure unless you try more tests. If you have extra rams you could always test in the new motherboard if theyr compatible and even take those ram sticks to a local store and ask for a small test, and you could even check to see if they dont have any fractual design (ram and channels) problem and even test the energy in the channels themselves. Well good luck.

Groomlake Authority

Have you tried using them seperately in the "malfunctioning channels"? Well its most likely that the problem is from the motherboard. But then again you cant be sure unless you try more tests. If you have extra rams you could always test in the new motherboard if theyr compatible and even take those ram sticks to a local store and ask for a small test, and you could even check to see if they dont have any fractual design (ram and channels) problem and even test the energy in the channels themselves. Well good luck.

Well the mother ram slots go from left to right A1 B1 A2 B2, the only two slots I'm able to boot with the ram sticks in is A2 and B2. If I try either of the two others it will give me q-code 55. I'll see if I can get another set of sticks to try the two other ones. Thanks for the reply.

do un bios update, check if these rams are compatible with your mobo, 2 or 4chann etc.

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

Well the mother ram slots go from left to right A1 B1 A2 B2, the only two slots I'm able to boot with the ram sticks in is A2 and B2. If I try either of the two others it will give me q-code 55. I'll see if I can get another set of sticks to try the two other ones. Thanks for the reply.

Make sure they're seated properly. A2 and B2 (both red) are the correct slots you should be using.  If it works with one and not the other, that indicates the other stick is dead. Worst case scenario is you have a bad stick, you will have to RMA them.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Make sure they're seated properly. A2 and B2 (both red) are the correct slots you should be using.  If it works with one and not the other, that indicates the other stick is dead. Worst case scenario is you have a bad stick, you will have to RMA them.

It goes A1 (black), B1 (red), A2 (black), B2 (red). So I'm currently running them in different channels but when I try and run both in the same channel it won't boot.

do un bios update, check if these rams are compatible with your mobo, 2 or 4chann etc.

Did you mean un-do the BIOS update? Cause this issue was there before and after the update. In the motherboard manual the RAM was listed as compatible not sayng 2 or 4 channel. 

It goes A1 (black), B1 (red), A2 (black), B2 (red). So I'm currently running them in different channels but when I try and run both in the same channel it won't boot.

Remove both sticks. install ONE closest to the CPU. Try booting. rinse and repeat.. The one it doesn't boot with is the dead one.

OR.. Put both sticks in A2 and B2, and use the memOK button.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Did you mean un-do the BIOS update? Cause this issue was there before and after the update. In the motherboard manual the RAM was listed as compatible not sayng 2 or 4 channel. 

oh. yes then. but if you read before doing bios update it say. if the pc works fine you dnt rly need to do it, so roll back the bios.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

oh. yes then. but if you read before doing bios update it say. if the pc works fine you dnt rly need to do it, so roll back the bios.

There is no need to roll back to an older bios, that is completely irrelevant to his issue.

There is no need to roll back to an older bios, that is completely irrelevant to his issue.

oh, indeed, "was there and before the.."

But is ok.

Try Breaking your motherboard in half then use legos to put together again :)