How hard is computer science?

Cs342

How difficult is it to study computer science? I've heard from some people majoring in CS that it's insanely hard and you get no social life while others say it's easy.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

How difficult is it to study computer science? I've heard from some people majoring in CS that it's insanely hard and you get no social life while others say it's easy.

Its hard

A few of my friends studied though and we still hung out and played games in the evenings online....... he went out all the time drinking and partying too no reason it gives you any less social life than anything else you can study

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm doing a computer science study right now and I've got this to say: It's not easy by any means but it's not exactly hard to the point where you have to give up your social life. Say I have 2 weeks for an assignment. Work hard on it and it can be done in a few days leaving the rest for pretty much yourself.

It also depends on the subjects. Databases for instance is a hard subject (For me at uni at least, 50% failure rate or so) but I passed it, yeah social life didn't exist for that subject but computer architecture/networking is pretty easy and I've got tons of time to hang out.

Bottom line is: If you do your planning correctly and you work hard enough for a few days then you got plenty of time for social activities

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Calculus man, it kills you.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Comes down to interest as well, seen some people crash and burn in the area if they weren't very interested in it from the beginning.

It's hard mate. If you are not good at calculus it's going to be even harder but it's not the end of the world, calculus can be learned if you have the will power and dedication to practice it for weeks. It won't kill your social life but if you want a social life, gaming time and success then you are going to have to learn how to manage your time. Time management is key. :)

With interest and some early preparation, you can cruise through it with hard work.  No interest?  Why are you even doing CS? :P  Many people will probably stumble at the programming/database phase of the course.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If math isn't your thing. You're not going to have a fun time. Let's just leave it at that.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

It has definitely been a challenge for me, in my final year of a Computer Science Bachelor's, but I have loved it. The only way it would be impossibly hard is if you dont manage your time and leave all your work to the last minute. You can certainly have a social and still get good grades, I think without a social life I couldn't do the course personally, can't think about work all the time.

Desktop: Fractel Design R5 - i5 4670K @ stock - Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 - 16GB @ 1600MHz - Asus GTX 970 - Corsair RM650 - OCZ Vector 150 240GB - WD Blue 500GB - Noctua NH-D15

Peripherals & OS: KBC Poker 2 MX Blue - Zowie FK2 - Audio-technica ATH-M50s - Audioengine D1- Windows 10 Pro Monitor: Asus PA248Q 1920x1200

I'm doing a computer science study right now and I've got this to say: It's not easy by any means but it's not exactly hard to the point where you have to give up your social life. Say I have 2 weeks for an assignment. Work hard on it and it can be done in a few days leaving the rest for pretty much yourself.

It also depends on the subjects. Databases for instance is a hard subject (For me at uni at least, 50% failure rate or so) but I passed it, yeah social life didn't exist for that subject but computer architecture/networking is pretty easy and I've got tons of time to hang out.

Bottom line is: If you do your planning correctly and you work hard enough for a few days then you got plenty of time for social activities

so I'm about to enter my second semester and it has database...what makes it difficult? and what should I expect?

also, to the OP...interest, dedication, understanding of the subject, and time management is absolutely key...I've seen some of my classmates drop the subject half way through because they simply couldn't code due to lack of interest and understanding. But I love this subject its challenging and definitely interesting at least for my end. 

Potatoes are the bacon of vegetables... nuff' said

MOBO: Asrock H67DE3, CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 @3.1GHz, GPU: Asus GTS 450 DirectCU Silent, Ram: 16gb 1333MHz, HDD: WD 1TB Green, PSU: 500 watt

so I'm about to enter my second semester and it has database...what makes it difficult? and what should I expect?

also, to the OP...interest, dedication, understanding of the subject, and time management is absolutely key...I've seen some of my classmates drop the subject half way through because they simply couldn't code due to lack of interest and understanding. But I love this subject its challenging and definitely interesting at least for my end. 

Well in our case we have to learn it alongside graphics (Another hard subject) and it's a 2000 page book to learn in about 8-9 weeks.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Well in our case we have to learn it alongside graphics (Another hard subject) and it's a 2000 page book to learn in about 8-9 weeks.

What graphics API are you learning it with? And Do you mind telling me the name of the coursebooks? 

I'm doing a computer science course, but without the graphics, spent half a year getting maths skills up before I delved into graphics. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

What graphics API are you learning it with? And Do you mind telling me the name of the coursebooks? 

I'm doing a computer science course, but without the graphics, spent half a year getting maths skills up before I delved into graphics. 

I'm not doing it yet, I have to wait until the 4th quarter.

I was told we are using SQL though

I'm not doing it yet, I have to wait until the 4th quarter.

I was told we are using SQL though

Ah I see, well wish you the best of luck with the studies, I have not got onto SQL yet, starting the relational databases module in Feb so that's when I will learn it. 

However as way to prepare, I was told good things about this book: Head first SQL

Don't know if it will help but, people recommended it to me for the "exploratory" and "laid back" style of the book. I prefer those, than those books that are just a complete reference books, made by experts, talking in so much jargon that it makes my head explode.

giphy.gif

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

All I shall say is engineering man, engineering.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

It is indeed quite a challenge.  I spent 5 years getting my degree when it could've been shorter.

I found my courses to be all theory based.  I had to read a ton of material (textbooks, slides, handouts), a ton of math, and a ton of problem solving, particularly in assignments / labs / and possible projects.  Some nights and weekends I'll be coding for into the wee hours of the morning trying to get an assignment or project done.  

Some courses were fun for me though.  Cryptography was offered at my university at the time and I thought that was more like a puzzle-solving course so I breezed through it.  Learning about graphics, at least in theory, was interesting enough for me, though coding my assignments in Java was not.  Learning Database, particularly using SQL, has helped me a ton with my current job.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

It is extremely hard if you are not a tech savvy person but fairly easy if you are a tech savvy person and by tech savvy i don't mean Internet Explorer and mindcraft, i someone who does advanced lynda.com tutorials or similar in your spare time. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

As a student that will graduate soon (hopefully), it's hard... very hard.

You have "easy" and interating courses, but you have many very hard courses.

Plus, if you want a CV/Resume that stands out for jobs, you need personal projects, the more the better. So there goes your summers. You can still relax and have fun in summer, But you have work to do.

You can probably pretty much forget PC gaming. My computer still has a GTX 260 for reference. I just don't want to upgrade, but I only play occasionally, and when I do, it's more on my WiiU, as the games I play are not story driven per se (or simple), so I have no problem not touching the game for a month or so, and come back. (Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Pinkmin, Mario games, etc.) For reference, I started the Witcher 2... when it was released, I completely forgot the story, and absolutely no time to play it.

I like to see Computer Science as one of the harder fields to take at University, I am sure Med is much harder, but I like to see Computer Science right up there with the hard ones, is what I am saying.

Take it, if and only if you like software development.

its hard but also depends on what type of mindo you have and how interested you are and what your background knowlage is

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I used to do computer science. I had switched to it from another course before I started my first year because I wanted to do something a bit broader. Personally, I found it very boring. I absolutely love PCs and programming is super fun, but I found the content on my course every uninspiring. It was mostly to do with the lecturers and the pace at which we were going through the content. That's probably more to do with the university I'm going to though and not the computer science course in general.

Now I've switched to another computing related course, I'm much happier than I was before. I get to do all the same programming I was originally doing, but just applying the learning differently and going through the course at a much faster pace.

I think if you have a passion for anything to do with computers and are willing to learn new things, and perhaps spend some time trying to grasp some topics, I think you will be absolutely fine. Good luck!

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Define computer science? I'm beginning a Network Security class..... Really hoping I didn't sign up for the most difficult thing in the IT field.....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Pretty hard. But still not as hard as engineering

Yea, no. Computer Science is several folds harder than Engineering. I guess it depends on where you live and university, and what is the university strong points (each university have their set of program that they focus on, and build their reputation on. There is no university that is best at everything, even the big schools like Harvard).