Finnish ISP sends tablets and smartphones into the stratosphere

Khvarrioiren

In a recent marketing campaign the Finnish ISP and phone carrier Elisa revealed that they would send a "manned" aircraft to the stratosphere in order to test just how high the most advanced LTE network (No confirmation if this is true) in Fennoscandia can reach until losing the signal.

The launch is planned to occur on the 26th of October, and one of the devices aboard the will stream it's journey to the companys website.

Dubbed "Astro-Orava", or Astro the Squirrel, the experiment is supposedly the first of it's kind. Astro the Squirrel is also the mascot of the experiment, and allegedly the "manned" portion of the experiment.

Of course they really won't actually put a squirrel in there. It's just cute.

All the links I have are in Finnish, but I guess if some of you really want to find about more of the experiment, you can use Google Translate to get completely random information about the experiment.

http://elisa.fi/erikoiskokeet/astro/

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

In a recent marketing campaign the Finnish ISP and phone carrier Elisa revealed that they would send a "manned" spacecraft to the stratosphere in order to test just how high the most advanced LTE network (No confirmation if this is true) in Scandinavia can reach until losing the signal.

Interesting choice of words given that Finland is not part of Scandinavia (but is part of the Nordic countries, however)

I guess they could launch it from Sweden though.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Interesting choice of words given that Finland is not part of Scandinavia (but is part of the Nordic countries, however)

I guess they could launch it from Sweden though.

My mistake, up until the 2000's our geographic studies here included Finland in the Scandinavian territory because of the old geopolitical influences. Should've typed Fennoscandia.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

"Spacecraft"... "Stratosphere"...

nope.

Ain't I full of stupid mistakes today :D

Ain't I full of stupid mistakes today :D

Yeah, I just wouldn't class it as a spacecraft if it's only going to the stratosphere... the lower portion of the stratosphere is around about where airliners fly. It's just an aircraft.

Sorry, I was just being pedantic. :P

Nice, Lte in the clouds now.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB