Would AMD FX 8370 Bottleneck GTX 970?

DZiegler98
Go to solution Solved by Deletive,

Depends on the game; some games might bottleneck, some won't.

I currently have an AMD FX 6350 and I am wondering if upgrading the processor to the FX 8370 would be a good idea before buying the GTX 970.

Depends on the game; some games might bottleneck, some won't.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

If you were using Intel processors you wouldn't have this kind of questions. Even you had a i5 only.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

In games like guild wars 2, yes, most games shouldn't care that much for CPU though.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

If you were using Intel processors you wouldn't have this kind of questions. Even you had a i5 only.

Let's not. 

I currently have an AMD FX 6350 and I am wondering if upgrading the processor to the FX 8370 would be a good idea before buying the GTX 970.

It will depend on the game. However most games will perform the same on the 6350 and 8370 provided they were at the same clock speed. I'd say save the money and don't upgrade the CPU if you're only gaming. There will really only be a benefit from the 2 extra cores if you're video editing or rendering.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Depends on the game, in Multi-Thread whores like Battlefield 4, it will probably be on par with Intel CPUs. But more CPU bound games like Skyrim will bottleneck it, although not by a massive amount.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

rchinBu.gif

Don't start this shit again.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

The main question is do you really need a upgrade? But if you were to go with a 8370 then it will really depend on the game if it bottlenecks with the 970. If you are gonna upgrade then i would suggest the 8320E over the 8370 because you can OC the 8320 to match the speeds of a 8350/70 and it runs cooler and uses less power.

No it will not, I have never suffered a bottleneck because of my gpu (even in highly single threaded games). 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

For gaming, there's no reason to upgrade. They have the same single threaded performance if you taking overclocking into account, and the 3/6 cores of the FX-6350 are already plenty for any kind of gaming. You'd have to go to an i5 for single-threaded performance without sacrificing multi-threaded performance.

I agree!

Linus is my fetish.

Nope, you're good to go with your 6350. Save your 8370 money for future platform upgrade, either Intel's or AMD's next gen chipsets.

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

Mostly not. Some future games might. But there aren't any present ones that would do that.

Skylake + Pascal in 2016 is going to be the next best thing, unless you really need to, I wouldnt bother upgrading the mobo and CPU until then.

Linus is my fetish.

in many games, yes.

The upgrade is not worth it, what you need is faster/stronger cores and this is found only on intel's CPU...i'd suggest you sell your AM3+ stuff and purchase this instead:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.78 @ Newegg)
Total: $259.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-21 10:14 EDT-0400

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

get out you idiot fanboy....

get out you idiot fanboy....

he's right...intel is peace of mind...you know it will run it very well...EVERY TIME

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

he's right...intel is peace of mind...you know it will run it very well...EVERY TIME

That does come at a cost that  some cannot afford.

By going from AMD topics to AMD topics, you never read about how AMD CPU don't have enough processing power to get most of the graphic cards ??

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Not so, my laptop i7 bottle necks my dedicated graphics card.

Ever heard of type-M processors ?

Its a truth that too many people cant handle. AMD CPUs are a huge bottleneck, even more so with SLI or Xfire.

Linus is my fetish.