Any idea trying to repair this LCD monitor?

Saitham

A few weeks back I received some electronics from someone going to throw it all away, among it was a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW which according to reviews was a fine monitor back in the day and I'd like it as a second monitor.

However... When I plug in the power chord and it tries to start there's a squealing sound and the power button lights up again and again as it tries to start and nothing more.

Had it been a CRT-monitor I'd given up instantly since they're frankly lethal if treated wrong but from what I've heard LCD's aren't, right?

So the question is if a "normal" person like me could repair it and if it would be too expensive to do so?

What do you guys think?

My silent yet powerful squire: [Fractal Design Define R3] ≈ [Corsair AX 850W] ≈ [Nvidia Geforce GTX 780] ≈ [Intel Core i7 [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>] ≈ [Corsair A70] ≈ [2x4GB Corsair Vengeance@1600MHz] ≈ [Asus Sabertooth Z77] ≈ [Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB] ≈ [Intel 520 180GB] |

A few weeks back I received some electronics from someone going to throw it all away, among it was a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW which according to reviews was a fine monitor back in the day and I'd like it as a second monitor.

However... When I plug in the power chord and it tries to start there's a squealing sound and the power button lights up again and again as it tries to start and nothing more.

Had it been a CRT-monitor I'd given up instantly since they're frankly lethal if treated wrong but from what I've heard LCD's aren't, right?

So the question is if a "normal" person like me could repair it and if it would be too expensive to do so?

What do you guys think?

Take off the back panel and look for any blown capacitors. Normally this is what goes wrong with them and is as simple as getting a replacement cap and soldering it on.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Take off the back panel and look for any blown capacitors. Normally this is what goes wrong with them and is as simple as getting a replacement cap and soldering it on.

Ok so I just did that (Although it was a bit more work than just removing a back panel on this model but I figured it out and got a confidence boost :)) and this is what greeted me on the mainboard. What has happened and is there hope for the monitor? 4EHfVz2.jpg

My silent yet powerful squire: [Fractal Design Define R3] ≈ [Corsair AX 850W] ≈ [Nvidia Geforce GTX 780] ≈ [Intel Core i7 [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>] ≈ [Corsair A70] ≈ [2x4GB Corsair Vengeance@1600MHz] ≈ [Asus Sabertooth Z77] ≈ [Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB] ≈ [Intel 520 180GB] |

Theres hope. Just blown caps if youre comfortable to unsolder and replace them $30ish fix

I've never done it before but I'm open to learn something if the equipment is as cheap as 30$

What will I need and are all those caps doomed or just specific ones and what is that white stuff by the way?

I've never done it before but I'm open to learn something if the equipment is as cheap as 30$

What will I need and are all those caps doomed or just specific ones and what is that white stuff by the way?

White stuff is gunk from the caps. Don't touch it tho. Replacing all the caps would be finding an electronic store that sells the caps or ordering them online. And a soldering iron and solder.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Find out which exact exact model they are and only get those.

As far as the soldering goes, it's not that hard look up a guide on it.