TN for higher refresh rate or IPS for better colours?

Looking for a monitor to use for gaming and I want a good refresh rate but i also like the look of IPS panels so im not sure what to go for. TN or IPS? I live in New Zealand so monitor selections are different from the EU and USA but I have considered a Catleap from Korea. My price range in about $400-$500 and i would like a 1440p but will settle for a 1080p if my budget is to low. I play a variety of games from FPS to Third person to MMO and RPG. What are your suggestions on a monitor?

Looking for a monitor to use for gaming and I want a good refresh rate but i also like the look of IPS panels so im not sure what to go for. TN or IPS? I live in New Zealand so monitor selections are different from the EU and USA but I have considered a Catleap from Korea. My price range in about $400-$500 and i would like a 1440p but will settle for a 1080p if my budget is to low. I play a variety of games from FPS to Third person to MMO and RPG. What are your suggestions on a monitor?

Unless you do really competitive stuff then definitely IPS

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

What people seems to don't understand is that you have to get the graphical power to get up to 120 FPS in most games to make use of the 120Hz panel.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

TN or IPS? I live in New Zealand so monitor selections are different from the EU and USA but I have considered a Catleap from Korea

Some 1440p IPS monitors can be overclocked to 120Hz, if you can actually get 120FPS at 1440p. Check out this list

http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-1440p-ips-monitors/

@Victor Yiu advice pls

"Rawr XD"

Sorry for sort of hijacking your thread but i have a question for the experts:

What about stuff like blurring and response time on IPS screens? I could imagine that a 120 Hz panel show much less blurring.

who cares...

What people seems to don't understand is that you have to get the graphical power to get up to 120 FPS in most games to make use of the 120Hz panel.

I know that i need graphical power to get 120Hz monitor I have a 4gb windforce 770. I know it will not get me 120fps in every game but having the option would  better than not wouldnt it?

Sorry for sort of hijacking your thread but i have a question for the experts:

What about stuff like blurring and response time on IPS screens? I could imagine that a 120 Hz panel show much less blurring.

It really depends on what panel you get, some of them have a lot less of perceivable ghosting then others

"Rawr XD"

Whats weird is that my TN panel in SRGB mode blurrs much more than my 10 year old 2001FP! :P

(sorta in response to @'s comment)

Also, I'd go full IPS!

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Some 1440p IPS monitors can be overclocked to 120Hz, if you can actually get 120FPS at 1440p. Check out this list

http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-1440p-ips-monitors/

@Victor Yiu advice pls

Response time is too good on these

/sarcasm

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

It really depends on what panel you get, some of them have a lot less of perceivable ghosting then others

That usually involves a lot of reading through reviews. Let's say the Asus PB278Q, as it is probably the most popular 1440P IPS monitor. I am not much into overclocking monitors so that's not an option either. I currently rockj a 6 y/o TN panel with 5 ms response time GTG so i am not spoiled in any way but i want to make sure that whatever i will upgrade to, will be crystal clear and fluid to my eyes. :D

who cares...

I know that i need graphical power to get 120Hz monitor I have a 4gb windforce 770. I know it will not get me 120fps in every game but having the option would  better than not wouldnt it?

People that are really into competitive gaming tend to turn down all of the graphics options except texture quality to reduce latency and increase fps to the max they can push.

People that are really into competitive gaming tend to turn down all of the graphics options except texture quality to reduce latency and increase fps to the max they can push.

yeah im not to competitive on all my games there are some when i will turn down some graphics for performance.

How much is the difference form 6ms response time to 2ms response time? (please dont say 4ms) Can the difference really make a huge difference?

How much is the difference form 6ms response time to 2ms response time? (please dont say 4ms) Can the difference really make a huge difference?

no, anything 8 and less is whatever. If it's higher then 8 things will get noticeable.

Btw is that gtg or wtb?

yeah im not to competitive on all my games there are some when i will turn down some graphics for performance.

Depends if you can actually perceive a huge difference between 60, 96, and 120 Hz. Everybody is different when it comes to this

You won't really notice a difference between 6 and 2ms

"Rawr XD"

no, anything 8 and less is whatever. If it's higher then 8 things will get noticeable.

Btw is that gtg or wtb?

Gray to Gray

White to Black

Btw is that gtg or wtb?

it is 6ms GTG

IPS > TN

Better color

Better viewing angles

Good response time

Unless you can push the graphical power into a 144hz monitor and you need that quick response time for games like CS:GO, CoD or any other competitive FPS, it's not worth it, in my opinion.