Save your battery and use HTML5 instead of Silverlight to stream Netflix

ha1o2surfer

This is more of a "You should know" than an actual guide as this guide is only a few steps. (Guide at the bottom of this post) Netflix, by default, uses Silverlight to play DRM protected streaming content. Silverlight is very CPU intensive and can cause massive battery drains (as shown below). Switching to HMTL5 takes just a couple seconds but saves you hours and hours of precious Netflix time in bed! Longer is better.. ok ok back on topic. This may or not be public knowledge but I figured I'd show everyone the power savings!

Below are a few screenshots of the power savings of switching Netflix to HTML5. 

1) My Laptop at idle:

Discharge Rate of Around 8-8.5 Watts

http://i.imgur.com/5t7tFm9.jpg

2) Netflix Using Silverlight

Discharge Rate around 16-17 Watts

http://i.imgur.com/puodrGa.jpg

3) Netflix Using HTML5

Discharge Rate around 11-12 Watts

http://i.imgur.com/FgDnMNN.jpg

So let's do some estimates of battery runtimes..

Silverlight: 4 Hours

HTML5: 5.7 Hours

Idle: 7.8 Hours

HTML5 is worth it! Now onto my specs and how to configure Netflix to use HTML5.

Specs: 

Asus G46VW

3840QM @ 4GHz

GTX 660M

69wH (63wH due to battery usage, I used this figure to calculate battery runtimes)

How-to!

Req: You will need the newest Version of Chome (x86 or x64), Safari that comes stock with Mavericks or Yosemite or IE 10 or 11. This also works in Linux! I have not tested Firefox but will do so soon. 

1) Log into your Netflix account the menu below is to the top right of the window.

2) wwx9jPC.png

Click the Red Arrow to bring up a menu 

3) Click "Your Account"

4) Near the bottom of the page you will see a section labeled "YOUR PROFILE" Click "Playback Settings" in that section

5) A little popup will appear and you should check the setting that states "Prefer HTML5"

That's it! Have fun saving power!

Does changing it to HTML5 have any effect on the video loading speed or quality?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Does changing it to HTML5 have any effect on the video loading speed or quality?

usually gets better

usually gets better

Yes, my loading speed appears to be much faster both loading up a netflix video (because it doesn't have to load the bloated silverlight plugin) and in actually starting the stream straight in HD rather than in low quality and slowly ramping up. 

As far as quality goes, I don't notice a difference. 

usually gets better

Then why not use it always?

Because he had a hard drive.

I think this is enabled by default, atleast it was for me.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Some shows like x-files doesn't support html5 so even if you choose to use html5 player you still have to install sliverlight.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Some shows like x-files doesn't support html5 so even if you choose to use html5 player you still have to install sliverlight.

I don't see why this would be the case. What is different about that particular show? In any case, I loaded up some X-Files and it plays in HTML5 for me. :)

I disabled Silverlight and enabled HTML5, but whichever show I pick it is asking me to install Silverlight.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

I disabled Silverlight and enabled HTML5, but whichever show I pick it is asking me to install Silverlight.

Be sure your browser is fully up to date. If you have any doubts, redownload your browser of choice from it's download site and try again. 

Be sure your browser is fully up to date. If you have any doubts, redownload your browser of choice from it's download site and try again. 

Latest Firefox.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

Latest Firefox.

I am trying with the latest version of Firefox as well as some betas and I am having trouble getting it to use HTML5. This is why i dind't include Firefox as a req since it apparently have support yet. 

Interesting. I'm using latest Firefox, and the 'Prefer HTML5' is apparently checked by default; however, Silverlight is being used as the player. (When I right click on the video, the Silverlight options menu pops up.) I would like to see how HTML5 works, because as of about a year ago, I get a screen tear right across the middle of the frame. The option to enable hardware acceleration is grayed out in Silverlight options.This only occurs with Netflix/Silverlight playback. Any suggestions?

I sheepishly admit that I'm an XP holdover, but every other video format works flawlessly for me. (And Skyrim is...playable!)

Interesting. I'm using latest Firefox, and the 'Prefer HTML5' is apparently checked by default; however, Silverlight is being used as the player. (When I right click on the video, the Silverlight options menu pops up.) I would like to see how HTML5 works, because as of about a year ago, I get a screen tear right across the middle of the frame. The option to enable hardware acceleration is grayed out in Silverlight options.This only occurs with Netflix/Silverlight playback. Any suggestions?

I sheepishly admit that I'm an XP holdover, but every other video format works flawlessly for me. (And Skyrim is...playable!)

I don't think there is official support for Windows XP. Maybe if you use a user agent faker and tell Netflix you are using Chrome on a Windows 7 or 8 machine lol.. as far as tearing goes, I think it's because of the forced VSync that Microsoft enabled from Vista and above us Vista, 7 and 8 users don't experience that. I may be wrong but I too had issues with screen tearing and web video playback. 

The loading times for the HTML5 player are a bit faster thanks to super fast Javascript. So in short, the quality cap is higher (Silverlight 720p vs HTML5 1080p) and load times are a bit better. The biggest plus is removing Microsoft's proprietary software known as Silverlight from your system completely (I assume most people have it installed only for Netflix).