FX-8320 Bad Performance

What i try to say is, BF4 has the abillity to utilize all the threads there are availeble.

That you dont gain any fps from an i7 over an i5, thats offcourse true.

But still, if you play BF4 multiplayer, its allot more stressfull for an i5, then an i7.

Because BF4 has the abillity to use all the availeble threads.

This basicly means that you have less loads on the cpu cores with an i7 then with an i5.

Basically, yes.

Anytime you implement an online component, it's going to immediately need more CPU calls. An i7 will benefit because it has more cores which gives it more multi threading. How this affects say something like an 8350, is that it's already balancing the games engine plus it's now trying to decipher the packets it's sending and receiving. The improved IPC and multithreading really helps the i7. And to a lesser extent the i5.

Leaving the 8350 having to use all of it's cores to do what the Intel i5 can do online.

Basically, yes.

Anytime you implement an online component, it's going to immediately need more CPU calls. An i7 will benefit because it has more cores which gives it more multi threading. How this affects say something like an 8350, is that it's already balancing the games engine plus it's now trying to decipher the packets it's sending and receiving. The improved IPC and multithreading really helps the i7. And to a lesser extent the i5.

Leaving the 8350 having to use all of it's cores to do what the Intel i5 can do online.

You are clueless.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Because...?

Even if I mentioned all the ways in which you are clueless, you would disregard them, just as you have disregarded all the evidence Faa has put in front of you.

I'm leaving it at, you're clueless.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Even if I mentioned all the ways in which you are clueless, you would disregard them, just as you have disregarded all the evidence Faa has put in front of you.

I'm leaving it at, you're clueless.

So you have nothing. That was quite easy to prove.

Anytime you implement an online component, it's going to immediately need more CPU calls.

Explain what a online component is. Can be anything.

Do you mean an object, which is processed by the server?

What are CPU calls? I haven't heard of those.

An i7 will benefit because it has more cores which gives it more multi threading.

I'm not sure if I got this right.

How this affects say something like an 8350, is that it's already balancing the games engine plus it's now trying to decipher the packets it's sending and receiving.

Networking is not really anything intensive from a desktop. It is actually quite simple.

Advanced networking processing happens at the router/switch.

Not something that would make any impact on anything really.

EDIT:

Totally, it doesn't balance the load between cores at all...

This just confirms that you have no idea of how windows thread-scheduling works with SMT.

Explain what a online component is. Can be anything.

Do you mean an object, which is processed by the server?

Yes, an object, handled by servers and the packets sent back and forth add more CPU processes.

I had GPU Draw calls on the brain, it should be a CPU process.

I'm not sure if I got this right.

An i7 isn't better than an i5, or an 8350? You sure?

Networking is not really anything intensive from a desktop. It is actually quite simple.

Advanced networking processing happens at the router/switch.

Not something that would make any impact on anything really.

Ok, I'll make sure that all those Muhmurpurgers and and to a lesser extent MOBA's that are CPU bound that they are doing it wrong.

Any time you add an online gameplay component you are dramatically increasing CPU processes from the packets. And will affect your CPU's performance as it has an additional load.

EDIT:

This just confirms that you have no idea of how windows thread-scheduling works with SMT.

Because you can't understand sarcasm? Or the graph is hard for you to read?

In the form of CPU draw calls, like the CPU telling the GPU "yo dude render a triangle". Probably from CPU to NIC what he means but not sure how this is relevant in a gaming performance topic.

GPU draw calls? Ermz no. GPU doesn't tell anything to do this or this, it's the other way around mainly the CPU.

A retarded graph is retarded. How exactly are you going to satify 8 cores with 6 threads? Prove me this, then get back here.

Yes, an object, handled by servers and the packets sent back and forth add more CPU processes.

Lol. Network engine is separated from the game engine thread afaik, and they don't have their own cpu "processes". It's under 1 process eg BF4.exe

Any time you add an online gameplay component you are dramatically increasing CPU processes from the packets. And will affect your CPU's performance as it has an additional load.

Nope, to even make a CPU bottleneck that hard you need a powerful router/nic and a bunch of people pinging you. You don't have any of those? Your router will be the first that kicks out. Gaming network load hardly touches the CPU.

Is is an non-issue.

How much do you actually think uploading/downloading those packet cost in CPU performance? ~2%?

Also, those task remain under windows functions, so those will be prioritized.

Those are just called DRAW calls.

An i7 isn't better than an i5, or an 8350? You sure?

Straw man argument once again.

It was more for this statement:

An i7 will benefit because it has more cores which gives it more multi threading.

Unless you meant a 2011 I7.

Ok, I'll make sure that all those Muhmurpurgers and and to a lesser extent MOBA's that are CPU bound that they are doing it wrong.

Who tricked you into thinking something like that?

It does NOT increase the CPU processing dramatically. FAR FROM.

It is not the networking that increases the CPU processing dramatically.

Sorry, didn't get the "..." at the end.

If you read my statement, you would know that I read the graph perfectly fine.

And please, avoid getting personal.

EDIT:

In the form of CPU draw calls, like the CPU telling the GPU "yo dude render a triangle". Probably from CPU to NIC what he means but not sure how this is relevant in a gaming performance topic.

I know to DRAW calls.

I just wonder how DRAW-calls get confused with "CPU-calls".

Damn Veil.  You clueless.

Is is an non-issue.

How much do you actually think uploading/downloading those packet cost in CPU performance? ~2%?

Also, those task remain under windows functions, so those will be prioritized.

So you're confirming that the OP's problems have very little to do with the performance hit to his CPU he's talking about? Good, glad that is settled. Your point in this thread is...?

Those are just called DRAW calls.

Yes they are.

Straw man argument once again.

It was more for this statement:

Unless you meant a 2011 I7.

An i7 has more cores than an i5, correct?

And it's amusing that you are accusing me of using a Strawman argument. When that's all you and Faa seem to rely on.

Who tricked you into thinking something like that?

It does NOT increase the CPU processing dramatically. FAR FROM.

It is not the networking that increases the CPU processing dramatically.

Who said anything about "dramatically"?(One of those pesky strawmen you were accusing me of.) Unless of course you're willing to concede that the IPC deficit of the 8350 isn't as big of a deal when it comes to online shooters?

In an MMO it's even more of a drain and will DRASTICALLY influence gameplay.

Sorry, didn't get the "..." at the end.

If you read my statement, you would know that I read the graph perfectly fine.

And in context, with out your selective editing, it's very apparent I understood it as well.

EDIT:

I know to DRAW calls.

I just wonder how DRAW-calls get confused with "CPU-calls".

Because I brain farted and meant processes, and instead used calls. Mistakes don't ever happen here apparently.

@Veil

An i7 doesn't have more cores than an i5. For gaming performance, an i5 = an i7 when they are both at the same speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8e0jnm39lE&feature=youtu.be&t=13s

Lol.

You are trying soooo hard. It's cute.

Does Windows handle network communications? And if so, how does it do that if an i5 has the same amount of cores for gaming as an i7?

Unless of course... You're clueless.

Lol.

You are trying soooo hard. It's cute.

Does Windows handle network communications? And if so, how does it do that if an i5 has the same amount of cores for gaming as an i7?

Unless of course... You're clueless.

I'm done.  Another added to ignore.

holy quotespam batman!

anyways back on topic. i like my 8320 cuz im a poor bastard and it was affordable. also, i personally havent noticed it being a major bottleneck in gaming. that being said, i recently upgraded to a 970 strix from a 750ti, so time will tell and we'll see what happens.

also @Veil sorry, you're clueless

@Faceman ima steal that check thing when i get home, that sir is awesome

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

So you're confirming that the OP's problems have very little to do with the performance hit to his CPU he's talking about? Good, glad that is settled. Your point in this thread is...?

Where did I confirm that?

My statement, is simply regarding how much processing power is required by a desktop to process networking processes.

An i7 has more cores than an i5, correct?

You are once again, not reading my statement. If you are talking about a 2011 CPU, then yes, it can have more cores.

If we are talking about a regular 1150 i7, then no. It does not have more cores.

And it's amusing that you are accusing me of using a Strawman argument. When that's all you and Faa seem to rely on.

As the last time accused me of using a straw man argument, you better actually bring a quote (you failed at it last time).

Who said anything about "dramatically"?(One of those pesky strawmen you were accusing me of.) Unless of course you're willing to concede that the IPC deficit of the 8350 isn't as big of a deal when it comes to online shooters?

You did:

Any time you add an online gameplay component you are dramatically increasing CPU processes from the packets.

Again, it have little to no difference on actual performance, and is certainly not a big problem (as you make it sound like).

No. It is not the actual networking or socket processing which drastically influence gameplay.

Do you actually have any evidence to support your statements?

And in context, with out your selective editing, it's very apparent I understood it as well.

My edits in this thread have only been to add another reply.

EDIT:

Does Windows handle network communications?

Software can take advantage of WINAPI to socket/networking processing. So yes.

And if so, how does it do that if an i5 has the same amount of cores for gaming as an i7?

What do you mean with this?

Getting very poor performance from FX-8320 with my R9 290. I've done research regarding this combination, and I'm fully aware that the fx 8320 is a bottleneck. Although, I don't think it should be as bad as it is. Here's a video of BF3 showing how my R9 290 is only getting less than 70% usage because the fx8320 can't feed it data fast enough. If I play BF4 with mantle enabled the R9 290 runs perfectly fine at 99% gpu usage and over 90fps avg. 64 player. I know it's not the GPU, single player runs fine, but the more CPU intensive mutliplayer struggles. I've tried underclocking, reinstalls, overclocking, nothing is working, I'm guessing it's the motherboards fault, but I'm not going to waste money keeping this platform alive, would just switch to Intel.

Here's all readings, CPU temps are fine, VRM temps good, clock speeds are constant, yet gpu usage sucks because if the fx8320.

Yeah the 8320 is a bottleneck in all likely hood, but also I notice you're using a 970 chipset mobo which aren't made to run the fx 8XXX series which only makes the situation worst,  I suggest switching to a Z97 mobo and i5 4690k if you really want too.  

Generally to be scientific and fairly compare things you don't switch the graphics card and cpu at the same time, especially to a far stronger graphics card, the 7870 is the R9 270X  compared to 780 with a different CPU on top just saying.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Quit moaning about network communicating when you can't even prove a single claim nor you made any sense. 

Nope, like VM'n said it barely uses anything of the CPU. The game, especially MMO's themselves are CPU bound.

This thread is all about BF3 performance.

Now it's proven that anything more than 4 cores is a complete waste, go ahead put 4 AMD cores in front of 4 Intel cores and compare by yourself. I've got around 1000 hours in BF3, the game gets many times CPU bound on my 3930K at stock, if I want to have 120 fps at ultra I need my 2nd 780 and thats the moment you are completely removing the GPU cap that turns into a CPU bound scenario instead. If I'm CPU bound then any AMD is CPU bound and will perform extremely crap. Don't use networking as an excuse when they are bottlenecking even in singleplayer mode or on an empty server >.>

Check the 8320 screenshot I included, bottlenecking his cheapo 7870 XT silly 79% load on a crap GPU.

Get back here when you're willing to understand everything you posted was flatout wrong.

Yeah the 8320 is a bottleneck in all likely hood, but also I notice you're using a 970 chipset mobo which aren't made to run the fx 8XXX series which only makes the situation worst,  I suggest switching to a Z97 mobo and i5 4690k if you really want too.  

Generally to be scientific and fairly compare things you don't switch the graphics card and cpu at the same time, especially to a far stronger graphics card, the 7870 is the R9 270X  compared to 780 with a different CPU on top just saying.

If you bottleneck a 270X you're not getting any gains from a better GPU. Not the best way to test, usually nvidia drivers cause less cpu overhead so the difference would get smaller when you use the same gpu but anyways Sandybridge's single core performance wasn't really amazing over PD probably around 50-60%. Ivy didnt do a lot, but haswell kinda gave us in some situations a good 40% improvement over Sandy bridge.

holy quotespam batman!

anyways back on topic. i like my 8320 cuz im a poor bastard and it was affordable. also, i personally havent noticed it being a major bottleneck in gaming. that being said, i recently upgraded to a 970 strix from a 750ti, so time will tell and we'll see what happens.

also @Veil sorry, you're clueless

@Faceman ima steal that check thing when i get home, that sir is awesome

I was born and grew up in Portland.  I miss it dearly.  I miss the air, how fresh and crisp it is.  The Trailblazers of course, and the greenery.  The good public schools, the community, the food, the food trucks.  I'm missing to visit now.

Party ain't a party till the west at it.

I can send you a link of the blank check so you can fill it in for whenever you like

I was born and grew up in Portland.  I miss it dearly.  I miss the air, how fresh and crisp it is.  The Trailblazers of course, and the greenery.

Party ain't a party till the west at it.

I can send you a link of the blank check so you can fill it in for whenever you like

ima be honest with you about portland. the air, nice. the green, looks decent enough from through my blinds. the girls, well you just dont get better than west coast girls. the trailblazer though, they've sucked since they lost Stoudamire in 2005.

and i'd greatly appreciate a pm to that link :P

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

ima be honest with you about portland. the air, nice. the green, looks decent enough from through my blinds. the girls, well you just dont get better than west coast girls. the trailblazer though, they've sucked since they lost Stoudamire in 2005.

and i'd greatly appreciate a pm to that link :P

Last year we were good.  This year should be similar, maybe a little worse because the West is so competitive.

Game Winning Shot

That shot gives me chills every time I watch it.

Getting very poor performance from FX-8320 with my R9 290. I've done research regarding this combination, and I'm fully aware that the fx 8320 is a bottleneck. Although, I don't think it should be as bad as it is. Here's a video of BF3 showing how my R9 290 is only getting less than 70% usage because the fx8320 can't feed it data fast enough. If I play BF4 with mantle enabled the R9 290 runs perfectly fine at 99% gpu usage and over 90fps avg. 64 player. I know it's not the GPU, single player runs fine, but the more CPU intensive mutliplayer struggles. I've tried underclocking, reinstalls, overclocking, nothing is working, I'm guessing it's the motherboards fault, but I'm not going to waste money keeping this platform alive, would just switch to Intel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGwVmwS9fkQ&feature=youtu.be

Here's all readings, CPU temps are fine, VRM temps good, clock speeds are constant, yet gpu usage sucks because if the fx8320.

2zgdi77.jpg

Let this be a warning to all those buying AMD. You get what you pay. AMD is a joke.

This thread is all about BF3 performance.

Now it's proven that anything more than 4 cores is a complete waste, go ahead put 4 AMD cores in front of 4 Intel cores and compare by yourself. I've got around 1000 hours in BF3, the game gets many times CPU bound on my 3930K at stock, if I want to have 120 fps at ultra I need my 2nd 780 and thats the moment you are completely removing the GPU cap that turns into a CPU bound scenario instead. If I'm CPU bound then any AMD is CPU bound and will perform extremely crap. Don't use networking as an excuse when they are bottlenecking even in singleplayer mode or on an empty server >.>

I took time to re-install BF3 today and i made a quick video showing the CPU load on each threads on my core i7

as well as all the good stuff i'm used to show in my videos i think you should have a look at that...

BF3 spreads evenly across all 8 available threads and so does many other games that I've tested i could provide

other videos if you want i have over 10 games ATM that use 6 to 8 threads like this one does, have fun!

(video settings shown at 0:30)

Also please note that i have absolutely nothing running in the background i don't even have anti-virus running or anything

and the recording was done as usual using shadowplay at medium settings (performance hit about 3% on GPU and no effect on CPU)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR