High temp in NZXT H440 - X61 with ASUS gtx 980 strix SLI

Go to solution Solved by Leonard,

Hi Leonard

Thanks for the reply.

I did stop the fans one at a time, and the noise is consistant. so I think it's the pump :(

This is the current build setup:

I could try and reseat the SSDs in the HDD mount infront of the cards insted of beneath the lowest GTX 980 card.

-snip-

I'll do an RMA on the X61 today. thanks all for replying. I'll return with info when i added a new cooler.

Regards

JSG

Your welcome.

I would mount the SSD in the tray behind the motherboard. I would also look into getting some higher static pressure fans for the intakes because the H440 is not really a great air flow case....to name a few 1, 2 & 3.

Another thing is that the high temperature is a characteristic of your ambient temperature, what is that like. No matter what you do if your ambient is high so to will be your components.

Hi all

I hope you can help me out abit.

I just bought a rig - nzxt H440 case, Kraken x61 on I7-4790K - 2x gtx980 in SLI (asus strix)

i just can't seem to get low tempature... the room temp is quite high in my PC room.

Idle the tempatures are about 32/33 in liquid and 33 on CPU

under load using Prime95- doing a blend test is goes straigt up... whats wrong (test performed with open side panel=

x61_under_load1.png.

It keeps going up, then i did abort it at the end:

x61_under_load4.png

x61_under_load2.png

x61_under_load3.png

I got some kind of grinding noice - i've recorded it with my phone, please let me know if your Krakken is giving the same noise - specially with low pump RPMs: http://jsg.dk/x61/X61.m4a (it's not the Fans, i did test that)

Advice is welcome ... Thanks.

From the sound a bad bearing in the pump causing the liquid just to sit still however the liquid isnt getting hot so a bad seat i guess. Seat i then see if the liquid heats up 

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

All I say is never stress with Prime 95 if you didn't set your voltage to Static in your BIOS

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

From the sound a bad bearing in the pump causing the liquid just to sit still however the liquid isnt getting hot so a bad seat i guess. Seat i then see if the liquid heats up 

Thanks - i did try and reseat it, with new thermal paste, same result.

@JSG76

Firstly, it would be nice to have a visual to go with the build.

Secondly, I would agree with the previous posters in them saying it sounds like the pump because the difference between idle CPU temperatures and stressed CPU temperatures is so vast but i would like to add that it also seems like you have very poor air flow in the case judging from the GPU and the 1TB ssd temperatures. Also, that grinding noise could be coming from a fan rubbing on something. Have you stopped the fans to see if the noise still happens? If you stop the fans and you still hear th noise you know it is the pump. If you are going to stop the fans do it when the system is idle, yes your system will be safe.

Thirdly and lastly, don't use Prime95 for your CPU it really only creates heat rather than properly stress the CPU. It is best to use AIDA64 or Intel's burn test.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

@JSG76

Firstly, it would be nice to have a visual to go with the build.

Secondly, I would agree with the previous posters in them saying it sounds like the pump because the difference between idle CPU temperatures and stressed CPU temperatures is so vast but i would like to add that it also seems like you have very poor air flow in the case judging from the GPU and the 1TB ssd temperatures. Also, that grinding noise could be coming from a fan rubbing on something. Have you stopped the fans to see if the noise still happens? If you stop the fans and you still hear th noise you know it is the pump. If you are going to stop the fans do it when the system is idle, yes your system will be safe.

Thirdly and lastly, don't use Prime95 for your CPU it really only creates heat rather than properly stress the CPU. It is best to use AIDA64 or Intel's burn test.

Hi Leonard

Thanks for the reply.

I did stop the fans one at a time, and the noise is consistant. so I think it's the pump :( 

h440_build.JPG

I could try and reseat the SSDs in the HDD mount infront of the cards insted of beneath the lowest GTX 980 card.

I'll do an RMA on the X61 today. thanks all for replying. I'll return with info when i added a new cooler.

Regards

JSG

Regards

JSG

Hopefully it's just your X61 and all will be well after you get a new one.

Otherwise, look into your airflow setup. What's your fan setup for front intake?

Having two GTX 980's (even thought their max TDP is very low) open-air coolers pumping heat into your case seems like it could be causing issues.

If the X61 is using a good bit of this hotter air to cool the liquid in the radiator.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Hopefully it's just your X61 and all will be well after you get a new one.

Otherwise, look into your airflow setup. What's your fan setup for front intake?

Having two GTX 980's (even thought their max TDP is very low) open-air coolers pumping heat into your case seems like it could be causing issues.

If the X61 is using a good bit of this hotter air to cool the liquid in the radiator.

Thanks for the advice,

The front intake is the 3 standard 3x120mm fans(1200 RPM) that comes with the H440.

The X61 is pushing the inside air out through the rad and out in the top of the H440. so that might give a higher fluid temp due to the 980 SLI - i could turn the Fans around pulling air in, but would i then not end up with over pressure in the cabinet, as i understand, it should be the other way around to get the best airflow, and avoid static air ?

Regards

JSG

Thanks for the advice,

The front intake is the 3 standard 3x120mm fans(1200 RPM) that comes with the H440.

The X61 is pushing the inside air out through the rad and out in the top of the H440. so that might give a higher fluid temp due to the 980 SLI - i could turn the Fans around pulling air in, but would i then not end up with over pressure in the cabinet, as i understand, it should be the other way around to get the best airflow, and avoid static air ?

Regards

JSG

Nah, cases aren't air tight. It's true that the aim should be balanced air flow but having lots of intakes won't be a problem if you have a good rear exhaust fan.

Just try it out and see what temps you get.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Hi Leonard

Thanks for the reply.

-snip-

Regards

JSG

Your welcome.

I would mount the SSD in the tray behind the motherboard. I would also look into getting some higher static pressure fans for the intakes because the H440 is not really a great air flow case....to name a few 1, 2 & 3.

Another thing is that the high temperature is a characteristic of your ambient temperature, what is that like. No matter what you do if your ambient is high so to will be your components.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Hi Leonard

Thanks again for the links and advice.

The ambient temperature is quite high - 22 degrees, so that will influent on the general tempature in the case.

Now i gotta wait 4 weeks for a replacement X61, - as they are not on stock :( and i kinda fell in love with it.

Moved the SSD's as suggested by Leonard - with a positive result :)   on top of that i did remove the empty HDD bays infront of the  2 graphic cards to improve airflow, and the result is now 10 degrees better on the lowest gtx card, that is now operating with far better fan speeds under load.