Borderlands Pre Sequel Weird FPS Issue + Other Games

Hello Everyone, I am having some very bad FPS issues with Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and would like to fix this

I run the the game maxed out at 1920x1080 with PhysX on low. I some areas i go down to 25 sometimes. The areas in which i drop i don't feel like i should be dropping as low as 30, i average 40-50 most areas in some i go to 90+. 

Its very frustrating when my friend has a Sapphire 7970 and a Intel 3770K, runs on Windows 7 and never drops as low as i do. I feel like it may be my CPU thats hurting it so should i maybe upgrade to a intel i5-4690K and replace my Motherboard with a MSI Z97 and possible get a MSI 970 but do i really need to upgrade. My PC runs at roughly 65-70 Temps so i dont think its that. Could it be Borderlands being un optimized it being a new game, could be.

PC Specs:  

GTX 770 Zotac

AMD 8350

Asus M5 A97 Motherboard 

I use Windows 8.1

I don't get any drops on my setup single GPU or SLI, Borderlands 2 and the Pre Sequel are some of the best running games out there imo.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Sounds like a CPU issue because I have a 4690k and a gtx 660 and no problems at all on borderlands 2

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Its probably the fact that its in beta, does bl2 to it too?

(Edit saw that, I can max out bl2 on my pentium G3258 and 280 no problem, you shouldn't have any issues, sounds like your cpu isn't handling it correctly)

What sorta frames do you get and what do you run the game at ?

Bl2 is a bit better with frames but still drops quite low

Thats odd, I run it at 1080p maxed like I said, where are your resources going in the background? 

Not enough ram? System running defrag?

What sorta frames do you get and what do you run the game at ?

I usually get a locked 60, unlocked it goes from that to a max of 90-95 for me

Guessing that you've played the dlc's maybe, but i run up Dragon Keep, to me it feels like it should be a good sorta intensive area

Guessing that you've played the dlc's maybe, but i run up Dragon Keep, to me it feels like it should be a good sorta intensive area

That is a good spot, I don't dip below 60 there actually :P

Try this

Go to Documents/My Games/Borderlands 2/WillowGame/Config

Open willowengine.ini in notepad and search for DynamicShadows under [systemSettings]. Change it to false will give you your 60 fps back. Had the same with the annoying drops to 30 on an AMD cpu but this pretty much eliminated it. Smooth as butter.

Try it out, kills dynamic shadows and should free up gpu utilization

I dont really play Bl2 anymore, mostly wanting a fix for The Pre Sequel

I dont really play Bl2 anymore, mostly wanting a fix for The Pre Sequel

Same deal though, same engine, disable dynamic shadows, only the folder won't be named Borderlands 2

Or try changing your view distance to a lower spec when you get to areas where it dips

I could do that but why is mine having such bad issues ?

More than likely a CPU bottleneck, your 770 should have zero issues with it

Try what me and other people suggested and see if it fixes the issue, if not you might try a reboot/reinstall (Nobody wants that) or to get a hardware upgrade ($$$)

Ive done what you said with the Dyanamic Shadows and il test it out now, 

bro you shouldnt be getting crazy drops like that its probably borderlands itself thats causing it.

In the pre sequel it seems like its helped me stay above 60 a bit better, went to the most intensive area i am in the game as of right now, went to 40 at one point but sorta held at 65-80 roughly 

Not to steal this thread but I'm having the same issues too. When roaming around killing Shuggarath's my fps goes down to 20fps and sometimes even 13fps but yet I have a rig that is more than adequate. I can play Farcry 3 with everything on Ultra with 8xMSAA and the fps doesn't drop below 40.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.7GHz

GPU: 2x SLI GTX 770

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 2100MHz

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3055515

I will await an update to fix this issue. 

EDIT: it appears to be a PhysX issue with bad coding. That would explain fps drops all the way down to 13fps as I have PhysX turned to "Ultra" too. Other users have reported the same here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/783736-borderlands-the-pre-sequel/70346661 

Hello Everyone, I am having some very bad FPS issues with Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and would like to fix this

I run the the game maxed out at 1920x1080 with PhysX on low. I some areas i go down to 25 sometimes. The areas in which i drop i don't feel like i should be dropping as low as 30, i average 40-50 most areas in some i go to 90+. 

Its very frustrating when my friend has a Sapphire 7970 and a Intel 3770K, runs on Windows 7 and never drops as low as i do. I feel like it may be my CPU thats hurting it so should i maybe upgrade to a intel i5-4690K and replace my Motherboard with a MSI Z97 and possible get a MSI 970 but do i really need to upgrade. My PC runs at roughly 65-70 Temps so i dont think its that. Could it be Borderlands being un optimized it being a new game, could be.

PC Specs:  

GTX 770 Zotac

AMD 8350

Asus M5 A97 Motherboard 

I use Windows 8.1

Well i dont think its your CPU , i have the same CPU and i get 100 + fps all the time on Borderlands Pre-Sequal , you say your CPU runs at 65c-70c ? thats to hot imo , i noticed some performance issues on my 8350 when it got over 65c ( before i got my NH D-14 ) , and phyxs will cause ALOT of FPS drops anyway , i force it completely off with a program my brother has , you might be able to force it off in the .INI files tho 

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

I don't have any issues with my 8320, my lowest was around 50fps when i had tons of scavs to kill on screen with explosions everywhere and it was honnestly rare that my frames were bellow 70fps. Even my friend with a fx 6100 didn't have any problems and we finished the game without any issues

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

Well i dont think its your CPU , i have the same CPU and i get 100 + fps all the time on Borderlands Pre-Sequal , you say your CPU runs at 65c-70c ? thats to hot imo , i noticed some performance issues on my 8350 when it got over 65c ( before i got my NH D-14 ) , and phyxs will cause ALOT of FPS drops anyway , i force it completely off with a program my brother has , you might be able to force it off in the .INI files tho 

Well that'd explain why you're hitting high fps and I can confirm it myself that it's a PhysX issue which is causing the severe fps drops in the game. I ran the game on the "low" physX setting and the fps doesn't dip below 70fps when killing swarms of Shuggarath's anymore. Even on the "high" setting for PhysX the fps drops are worse, but not grind-to-a-halt bad. With "high" I generally get around 50fps in heavy areas and I did see a 35fps in a swarm of Shuggarath's whilst being shot at with a turret. It's the "Ultra" setting which is crippling and as I said it sent my two GTX 770's down to 13fps!

Not sure why the OP is having issues with PhysX turned to "low" though. If I were him I'd keep an hawks eye on temps whilst gaming (HWMonitor is great as it tells you the current, minimum and max value of something for however long you leave the program running). I'd also keep an eye on CPU utilisation as if you're constantly hitting 100% usage or close to it then that's a sign of a CPU bottleneck. If they check out alright and the issue still persists I would suggest using a third party tool to disable PhysX altogether and see if that makes a difference.

Well that'd explain why you're hitting high fps and I can confirm it myself that it's a PhysX issue which is causing the severe fps drops in the game. I ran the game on the "low" physX setting and the fps doesn't dip below 70fps when killing swarms of Shuggarath's anymore. Even on the "high" setting for PhysX the fps drops are worse, but not grind-to-a-halt bad. With "high" I generally get around 50fps in heavy areas and I did see a 35fps in a swarm of Shuggarath's whilst being shot at with a turret. It's the "Ultra" setting which is crippling and as I said it sent my two GTX 770's down to 13fps!

Not sure why the OP is having issues with PhysX turned to "low" though. If I were him I'd keep an hawks eye on temps whilst gaming (HWMonitor is great as it tells you the current, minimum and max value of something for however long you leave the program running). I'd also keep an eye on CPU utilisation as if you're constantly hitting 100% usage or close to it then that's a sign of a CPU bottleneck. If they check out alright and the issue still persists I would suggest using a third party tool to disable PhysX altogether and see if that makes a difference.

That's very interesting, my mac with a GT 750m can handle Physx on ultra and it doesn't sweat, but id leave it off for now if I were anyone having this issue

• 1 month later...

Can Anyone help me with this? I'm running an i7-4790k and two gtx 780's in sli and my FPS in Borderlands the pre-sequel is maxed at 60 no more no less. When I run on one card my FPS increases why is this?