Motherboard Question: Asus Rampage V Extreme X99

Go to solution Solved by Faa,

778744d1413564291-asus-rampage-v-extreme

778745d1413564320-asus-rampage-v-extreme

thPdOzJ.jpg

Fits perfectly, the backplate doesn't stick further out than the pcie slot so logically it's not touching the dimm plastic things as you can see in the 3rd pic. Also the reference 980 uses a thicker backplate than the 980 strix. 

I debated whether to post this here or in the build planning section but I decided this would be a more fitting place to ask this. 
(If my decision was incorrect please let me know)

I am currently planning a build but this is simply a question about a motherboard I am debating.

I would like to use the Asus Rampage V Extreme but I am seeing reviews saying that the first PCIe slot is super tight for a video card.
Can anyone confirm or deny this? This board truly fits what I am going for but I do not want to purchase something that won't fit a card in that slot.
I have the Asus GTX 980 STRIX currently picked out. 

But the question still stands.

Does the Asus Rampage V Extreme have enough room to comfortably fit a video card such as the one above in the first PCIe slot?

Regards,

Longbow

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

Rampage V extreme  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

It all depend on how thick the backplate of the gpu is. 

Rampage V extreme   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:

Asus X99-E WS m8

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

what the actual hell are ya doin that requires this motherboard? enlighten me pls im listening :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

what the actual hell are ya doin that requires this motherboard? enlighten me pls im listening :D

I mean honestly to start its 1 GTX 980, I would like to SLI eventually but I doubt I'm going to need to right away.

Call me crazy but the color scheme fits what I would like to do. Also, It had the fan ports I was looking for. 

The board honestly feels like a good fit to me. Other than the topic question.

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

Does the Asus Rampage V Extreme have enough room to comfortably fit a video card such as the one above in the first PCIe slot?

I would think that it should.  Maybe there might be some RVE users here that might be able to enlighten you.  That is if they still want to be here after being inevitably shouted down for buying X99 or RoG...

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

I have a backplate installed on my 780, there's like a mm gap between the backplate & the white latches on my rampage 4 extreme.

Looks like you'll have ~2-3mm less room than I do on my X99-Deluxe w/GTX 580+back plate. Seeing as how the RAM clips are stationary on the bottom it shouldn't cause you any problems unless you strap a huge back plate to the STRIX and hit the heatsink.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

778744d1413564291-asus-rampage-v-extreme

778745d1413564320-asus-rampage-v-extreme

thPdOzJ.jpg

Fits perfectly, the backplate doesn't stick further out than the pcie slot so logically it's not touching the dimm plastic things as you can see in the 3rd pic. Also the reference 980 uses a thicker backplate than the 980 strix. 

Faa, thank you so much!

I have marked this as solved, thank you all for the replies. This was quite a warm welcome to the site.

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore