The state of Apple Pay/ Google Wallet.

PillowSmoke

I've had a NFC-capable phone and have had Google Wallet installed for years and have only used it a handful of times. 

I've tried it at a few gas stations (at the pump) and had a miserable success rate (about 30%). I've used it at Meijer and Tim Horton's and it worked upwards of 70% of the time.

The thing that makes me not use it is:

1) It encourages people to talk to me and ask about how it works (which I hate, because talking to people sucks)

2) It doesn't work 100% of the time like my card does

I've had a NFC-capable phone and have had Google Wallet installed for years and have only used it a handful of times. 

I've tried it at a few gas stations (at the pump) and had a miserable success rate (about 30%). I've used it at Meijer and Tim Horton's and it worked upwards of 70% of the time.

1) It encourages people to talk to me and ask about how it works (which I hate, because talking to people sucks)

2) It doesn't work 100% of the time like my card does

Lol this is my main reason. I don't have time to explain to people how it works. I wish it was a little more mainstream and not OMGHAXORZZZ. Almost every place I know doesn't even support tap to pay except McDs

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I don't really think that it's really secure. 

If you would read about it on their website and watch their videos about it, you'd know that in fact it is secure.   It's orders of magnitude more secure than carrying a piece of plastic with a magnetic strip in your pocket.   

It's not opinion.  It's fact.  

I'm curious if Apple Pay will pretty much mean the end for Google's money experiment

Yeah, for some reason, Apple is still the one making these things mainstream...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Australia has contactless everywhere and the 4 big banks all are adopting NFC from phones as fast as they can. There is another thread on the forums about it already. If the banks in each country would get on board you'll find you don't need Google wallet or apple pay, they are both middle man exercises. 

For the record, chip and pin and Phone NFC with bank app are significantly more secure than all previous credit card technologies.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah, for some reason, Apple is still the one making these things mainstream...

not true, It is already mainstream in Australia, japan and probably a few other countries.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Don't see a point in using now, it needs more wide spread adoption, but the concept is nice.

Google Wallet was cool, but I was annoyed with constantly transferring a balance to the card or to my account. And if I had bad reception somewhere and wanted to pay, GG people behind me, gonna have to wait till this damn thing loads haha.

Nope, not if implemented correctly.

People are scared that because it's wireless, someone can read data off it even when you're wearing it in your wallet. The thing is that anyone who don't have any kind of authentication system (such as a password) on top of the NFC is stupid. They can copy the data broadcasted by your phone however much they want, but they still won't have your password (and even then, your phone is only broadcasting it when the app is running, not all the time like NFC credit cards).

NFC will basically be like the chip in your card. You still need a PIN (which is typed in on your phone) to use it.

Not sure how things are handled in your country, but here in Sweden it's no pin = no purchase. You can't just say "I don't feel like using my PIN so let me pay anyway".

That's like having a button on a website saying "I don't feel like typing in my password so let me just login to this account without it".

In America you can run your card as credit instead of debit and you don't need a pin. In fact, credit cards don't have pin numbers. You literally just sign it (and sometimes I draw kitties or houses because nobody looks at it) and go. There is basically no security for credit cards here. 

Lolol I totally understand this. I hate dealing with people. 

In America you can run your card as credit instead of debit and you don't need a pin. In fact, credit cards don't have pin numbers. You literally just sign it (and sometimes I draw kitties or houses because nobody looks at it) and go. There is basically no security for credit cards here. 

This is all true.  It's not really "bad" though.   While there's no identify verification at the time of the purchase, there's significant protection from fraudulent credit card  purchases now.  Banks that issue credit cards know that sometimes they are lost or stolen.  It's the person's responsibility to report the card lost or stolen.  And do be honest, only an irrational, irresponsible person without common sense would think that it's a burden or shouldn't have to have that responsibility.  It's our money.  As much as it sucks, money makes the world go 'round so.  But any way -- if a fraudulent purchase is reported, the credit card company will simply not charge you for it.  They'll remove it, and work it out on their end.   Which says to me that their method of tracking and investigating and taking action is very reliable for them otherwise they wouldn't be so quick to delete a purchase and risk losing money. 

So ya, you're right -- no security at time of purchase.   But credit card banks have us covered in the long run. 

This is all true.  It's not really "bad" though.   While there's no identify verification at the time of the purchase, there's significant protection from fraudulent credit card  purchases now.  Banks that issue credit cards know that sometimes they are lost or stolen.  It's the person's responsibility to report the card lost or stolen.  And do be honest, only an irrational, irresponsible person without common sense would think that it's a burden or shouldn't have to have that responsibility.  It's our money.  As much as it sucks, money makes the world go 'round so.  But any way -- if a fraudulent purchase is reported, the credit card company will simply not charge you for it.  They'll remove it, and work it out on their end.   Which says to me that their method of tracking and investigating and taking action is very reliable for them otherwise they wouldn't be so quick to delete a purchase and risk losing money. 

So ya, you're right -- no security at time of purchase.   But credit card banks have us covered in the long run. 

With more security there would be less theft. Less theft would lower the insurance cost, which in turn would lower the banks operating cost, which could be passed on to the consumer.

With more security there would be less theft. Less theft would lower the insurance cost, which in turn would lower the banks operating cost, which could be passed on to the consumer.

Or could be pocketed to pay for the digital radio option in the CEO's new bentleigh.

Or could be pocketed to pay for the digital radio option in the CEO's new bentleigh.

Well, that's what would happen, but in a perfect world...

You could be right.  That's a theory based on projection of something that isn't happening.    

My speculation is based on observation of what is happening.  

Either way, we're both right or both wrong.       ... or any combination of it.  We'll never know because it's not our industry.  So I choose to let the professionals continue do to the voodoo that they do so well. 

So this is interesting topic that I have had a chance to experiment with all the players here in the states (google wallet, softpay(isis), and apple pay)

1. Google wallet is powered by a virtual debit mastercard and have only had success with using it walgreens and mcdonalds. You can add any card as a funding source though. 

2.Softpay has alot of branded terminals and is supported in the US by T-mobile, Verizon, & ATT and works at all NFC terminals. Softpay for some reason blocks "debit mastercards" and accepts all other cards even credit mastercards. So its pretty suspicious of softpay. In my opinion i think they are blocking them to stop people using google wallet and go over to softpay.  

3. Apple pay uses a type of secure token system but you have to have the banks approval so i dont think there is the same in between with a virtual mastercard that is owned by google to pay for things. I have been able to use apple pay at all NFC terminals even ones branded as softpay. 

So after going through all 3 of these services apple pay is the most user friendly and secure plus the added bonus of the touch id for verification. Once all banks get on board everyone will start using it. They have done a good job at making it a universal form of payment compared to the failed attempt on by google.

I have to give it up to apple on this one for fixing a slow emerging and broken market. 

I want goggle wallet to become something as i could see it integrating well in the youtube tipping, apple thing biggest scam there is

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Why google keeps failing where apple succedes.   I'm desperately trying to make the android switch, but at the end of the day the hard fact is that Apple rules the world no matter how much one tries to deny it.

I want goggle wallet to become something as i could see it integrating well in the youtube tipping, apple thing biggest scam there is

How is it a scam?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

He's "special", don't worry about him. 

I was just intrigued 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I wouldn't call it a scam, but like google wallet I do think it is unnecessary, we already have the technology in place, the bank just needs to write and release the app. I don't see why we need extra middle men to make this work.

How is it a scam?

He's "special", don't worry about him. 

I was just intrigued 

He's from Australia, we get unduly hit pretty hard with increased prices on all apple products.  It's likely he just meant we could in reality end up paying extra for a service that the banks can already provide for free.

Or he could have other reasons, but that's the one that makes most sense to me.

I wouldn't call it a scam, but like google wallet I do think it is unnecessary, we already have the technology in place, the bank just needs to write and release the app. I don't see why we need extra middle men to make this work.

I like Google Wallet. I use it instead of my bank card for a lot of things just in case my card gets stolen. They only get the google account that only has money transfered to it in amounts that I'm going to use that day. I think of it like a firewall. 

I like Google Wallet. I use it instead of my bank card for a lot of things just in case my card gets stolen. They only get the google account that only has money transfered to it in amounts that I'm going to use that day. I think of it like a firewall. 

Is it a free service? or is it like paypal?