The state of Apple Pay/ Google Wallet.

PillowSmoke

I can't really speak much about this topic as I'm currently in the middle of doing some work. But anyways back on topic, what do you guys think about this new method of transferring money, with the use of your phone? I feel like this is really a gimmick, like the idea of having your phone, the essential device you carry everywhere with you. To be able to pay for things you want to buy. Yes, that is the case but I don't really think that it's really secure. And the fact that Apple is only integrating the use of NFC to be only attached to money transactions is quite annoying in my opinion. I guess it's the best way to milk money out of consumers, when the Iphone 6s comes out. They'll probably have something along the lines of NFC that can actually be utilized for other things besides paying.  

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

i use it and it works well. and its more secure because it avoids skimmers

i just hope more tech like this get pushed in the near future and we start seeing some new and innovative technologies that replace the old way of doing things, sorta like the whole "now i dont have to go the bank because theres an app for it" idea. the possibilities of the future excite me :3

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Isn't NFC supposed to be inherently insecure?  Oh, and the UK does not suffer from a major skimming threat as we use chip and pin, which isn't perfect but good enough.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

I wish this would be standard in a lot of stores. Sadly, no store here uses it

I'm curious if Apple Pay will pretty much mean the end for Google's money experiment

Retarded question:

Anyone have a tutorial to set this up on Android? And how to use it?

Install google wallet. If you have compatable NFC hardware it will work, if you dont....it wont.

I've been using wallet for awhile now, and got the Wallet debit card just in case. I now take payments via google instead of paypal, just because of how easy it is. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

They've been using nfc phone transactions in Japan for a decade now. They use it to buy groceries, transit tickets, everything. I wouldn't say it's a gimmick, it definitely has a lot of potential.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I'm excited to try Google Wallet. Turning 18 next week so I can actually get a wallet card and whatnot. They won't send me one now :(

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

You don't think paying with your phone, that you can put a password on, is as secure as a plastic card that has no password? 

You don't think paying with your phone, that you can put a password on, is as secure as a plastic card that has no password?

Well it does have a pin...

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Here in Australia, literally everything has contactless payment (even vending machines and the like). Likewise, most debit and credit cards are contactless.

We just don't have the banks support on the phone. Only 2 banks currently support contactless via phone and it's limited to payments less than $100, and only supported on Samsung phones or iPhones with NFC stickers. I'm hoping Apple pay will get all the banks on board here as consumer demand is definitely here.

I think the phone is more secure, but here you aren't allowed to sign for purchases - it's all contactless or pin number, so everything is pretty secure. It's like the first time ever that Australia is leaps and bounds ahead of the world in anything slightly technologically related.

I'm walking around without cash for over 5 years anyway. One more way to pay without taking out the wallet is great!

In Austria, you don't even get the chance to use it. We don't even have NFC

Not true at all. There tons of NFC capable terminals in various shops.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Isn't NFC supposed to be inherently insecure?  Oh, and the UK does not suffer from a major skimming threat as we use chip and pin, which isn't perfect but good enough.

Nope, not if implemented correctly.

People are scared that because it's wireless, someone can read data off it even when you're wearing it in your wallet. The thing is that anyone who don't have any kind of authentication system (such as a password) on top of the NFC is stupid. They can copy the data broadcasted by your phone however much they want, but they still won't have your password (and even then, your phone is only broadcasting it when the app is running, not all the time like NFC credit cards).

NFC will basically be like the chip in your card. You still need a PIN (which is typed in on your phone) to use it.

Run as credit, no pin needed. 

Not sure how things are handled in your country, but here in Sweden it's no pin = no purchase. You can't just say "I don't feel like using my PIN so let me pay anyway".

That's like having a button on a website saying "I don't feel like typing in my password so let me just login to this account without it".

(and even then, your phone is only broadcasting it when the app is running, not all the time like NFC credit cards).

Yeah it's the cards I read about, good to know the phones don't necessarily implement it in that way. I, personally, haven't used NFC to pay nor know anyone who has, so I can't comment on how it is implemented in the UK, but I would assume it has some sort of security to it.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Run as credit, no pin needed. 

I guess in Canada every card is chip and pin based 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Its the same as having a contactless debit card right? I don't like those due to the lack of having to put a pin in

No real impact in an hour area away from DC. Only seen a nfc pay and go once in my life in real life.

Its the same as having a contactless debit card right? I don't like those due to the lack of having to put a pin in

Complaining about having to put in a PIN is like complaining you have to use a password to login to the forum.

There are enormous security benefits and once you get used to it it's a very minor thing.