why do laptops cost so much

themaniac

so say you find a laptop with simalar specs to a desktop but the laptop costs so much more why is that?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

so say you find a laptop with simalar specs to a desktop but the laptop costs so much more why is that?

Because they're much more compact and power efficient (custom designed parts). They also include a screen, keyboard, trackpad, and better into the cost. 

Look at phones, they have much less powerful hardware, but are similarly priced. a Nexus 6 is less powerful than most laptop, yet still costs the same as most-average laptops -- $600/700. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Because they're much more compact and power efficient. 

This is the real answer. making things smaller costs money therefore its passed onto the customer.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Not to mention they need to go through validation and certification processes, and need to be supported after sales in a way that a typical desktop component doesn't.

Having to cram hardware into a smaller form factor, the engineers and designers need paid, thus the hardware and overhead for creation costs a lot, which gets passed on to you

You have to take into account the amount of engineering that it takes to fit so much power into such a small form factor. If you have ever taken apart a laptop, you will see how compact everything is and that there is absolutely no wasted space.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Cause it's mobile and extremely small form factor which means it has to be highly engineered so as to not overheat.