Strix 970, opinions?

H4X3R

So after a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG wait for a decently priced 970, i managed to pick up the strix 970 for 359 euros (395$) which is quite overpriced but at least  i got one :D

It is gonna come soon, but i can still get a refund if it is a bad card (packing will take until Wednesday). 

I was originally going to get the g1 gaming 970 but that is STILL out of stock. I chose the 970 over the normal gigabyte one because i felt it was a better choice due to the backplate....but now i am sort of regretting that.

I really dislike that asus went with a single 8 pin, it makes me worry about the longevity of the card (and overclocking headroom). And the gigabyte model has more DPs (not exactly useful for me now).

My only 3 choices are:

strix 970 = 359 Euros

zotac omega 970 = 369 euros

gigabyte (NOT g1) 970 = 357 euros

Which one would you chose and WHY? I can still change.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Both ( all 3) are pretty good cards, why worry about longetivity with one 8 pin?

From where did you get it btw cause im still waiting for it lol

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

So after a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG wait for a decently priced 970, i managed to pick up the strix 970 for 359 euros (395$) which is quite overpriced but at least  i got one :D

It is gonna come soon, but i can still get a refund if it is a bad card (packing will take until Wednesday). 

I was originally going to get the g1 gaming 970 but that is STILL out of stock. I chose the 970 over the normal gigabyte one because i felt it was a better choice due to the backplate....but now i am sort of regretting that.

I really dislike that asus went with a single 8 pin, it makes me worry about the longevity of the card (and overclocking headroom). And the gigabyte model has more DPs (not exactly useful for me now).

My only 3 choices are:

strix 970 = 359 Euros

zotac omega 970 = 369 euros

gigabyte (NOT g1) 970 = 357 euros

Which one would you chose and WHY? I can still change.

1 8 pin connector = 2 6 pin connector

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Both ( all 3) are pretty good cards, why worry about longetivity with one 8 pin?

From where did you get it btw cause im still waiting for it lol

In austria, i got it from mylemon.at. I think they still have some (the ones i mentioned..maybe the asus one went up in price).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

1 8 pin connector = 2 6 pin connector

I feel safer with 2 x 6 pin :P

and how does 8 = 12?

If you mean in terms of total power output, i really like 2 x 6 pin. But i think i'll have to get along with the single 8 pin ;)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I feel safer with 2 x 6 pin :P

and how does 8 = 12?

If you mean in terms of total power output, i really like 2 x 6 pin. But i think i'll have to get along with the single 8 pin ;)

i don't know but 1 8 pin is 150w and 2 6 pins is 150w and 1 60 pin is 75w

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

Hm...i just don't like the idea. Well, looks like i'll be sticking with the strix then.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Hm...i just don't like the idea. Well, looks like i'll be sticking with the strix then.

ok hope you enjoy it

Spoiler

Enter the Zotac Giveaway and get a 8-pin + 6-pin card. That ought to do it ;)

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Enter the Zotac Giveaway and get a 8-pin + 6-pin card. That ought to do it ;)

The chances of me winning are.......VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY low.

If i do win, i'll just SLI it with my strix card :D

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

The chances of me winning are.......VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY low.

If i do win, i'll just SLI it with my strix card :D

omg no! -.- PLEASE DON'T DO THAT! 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

I like the offerings the Strix cards bring. I love the ascetics, I really dig the fan curve that keeps it silent when browsing the internet or light loads, I do believe in Asus' level of quality, the pretty solid overclocking, and did I mention how great it looks?

I ordered a Strix 980 that should be delivered tomorrow :D I cannot wait. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Good card, looks nice and the 0rpm decibel fans are a nice addition :)

It's a nice card. I wouldn't but it because I don't trust passive cooled cards. But all the reviews says that is a good card. For OC go with the Gigabyte (even if it's not the G1)

It's a nice card. I wouldn't but it because I don't trust passive cooled cards. But all the reviews says that is a good card. For OC go with the Gigabyte (even if it's not the G1)

It's not passively cooled it's intelligently cooled.

I would either get the Gigabyte or Zotac.

Why not the Asus, you ask? Simple, I am a sucker for Display Port. And the Strix only comes with one :c

It's not passively cooled it's intelligently cooled.

Also the G1 Gaming is "intelligently cooled". I know that Maxwell is very efficient and doesn't get that hot, but there's also VRM's, and VRM's are important. Read this http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

It clearly says "Poor VRM cooling" in both MSI and Asus.

And, this 

Yeah, GPU core isn't that hot, but you can clearly see that the PCB area where VRM's are is getting 95+ °C.

It will not kill the card, sure, but I wouldn't get it if there's actively cooled solutions like Gigabyte Windforce.

I think that this "passively cooled" could reduce the lifespan of the card. But hey, it's my personal opinion. I would take the G1 Gaming 970 over the Strix/MSI because I prefer performance over silent gaming (I wear headphones, so I don't hear my PC). Anyways Strix/MSI coolers are quite good. I just don't like them.

Also the G1 Gaming is "intelligently cooled". I know that Maxwell is very efficient and doesn't get that hot, but there's also VRM's, and VRM's are important. Read this http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

It clearly says "Poor VRM cooling" in both MSI and Asus.

Don't worry about it as the engineers took care of it at Asus. Asus can't afford to put out a product that will fail because it would cost them to much money.

I'm using the ASUS Strix 970 and I love, my whole system is cool (and I only have a 200mm intake and 120mm exhaust)..

The strix never reaches above 67°C so yeah.. Keep clear of EVGA and you're gold

Yeah, GPU core isn't that hot, but you can clearly see that the PCB area where VRM's are is getting 95+ °C.

It will not kill the card, sure, but I wouldn't get it if there's actively cooled solutions like Gigabyte Windforce.

I think that this "passively cooled" could reduce the lifespan of the card. But hey, it's my personal opinion. I would take the G1 Gaming 970 over the Strix/MSI because I prefer performance over silent gaming (I wear headphones, so I don't hear my PC). Anyways Strix/MSI coolers are quite good. I just don't like them.

Very interesting. The g1 gaming isn't available until next wonth and i REALLY want to build my new PC (waited for 3 weeks just for gtx 970s to be in stock).

I will change the fan curve and make it so that they spin up after 40*C. Do you think that would help resolve the VRM heating issue? I am planning to keep this card for a long time (4 years).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

You can pull much more than that through the connectors, that's just a reference point IMO.  As long as you have a decent PSU it'll be fine pulling over 200w from an 8 pin

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089