Solution to all people who hate screen tearing and vsync input lag. No Gsync required!

bydus

I feel this needs to be shared :) I'm slowly converting from console gaming to pc (testing games on my somehow gaming laptop) before buying a high end pc and selling ps4. I did quite a lot of research and tested quite a few games and I believe this should be and option in all pc games. That is frame rate limiter and vsync. By using nvidia inspector to set frame rate limiter at 58fps or 60fps and enabling vsync I get rid of all screen tearing as well as input lag is pretty much non existent. I depends on what games you play but I've tried BF4, Bad company 2, Mafia 2, Bioshock, COD Black ops and all work great with slightly different configurations. For example 58fps limiter vsynch enabled, fps limiter set 60fps and vsync disabled etc. So as long as your rig runs above 60fps you are all good. I know what input lag feels like and hate it to bits but with this configs it does not happen - even in nvidia inspector it says (58fps - might improve input lag) and it does. I'm yet to find a game that does not work one way or another, I tried with keyboard and mouse as well as wifi 360 controller and its awesome. Hope this helps some new pc gamers :) best regards

For BF4 you can do that ingame via console using:

GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 60

But I must say this is interesting but I have never experienced really noticeable input lag using vsync.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

For BF4 you can do that ingame via console using:

GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 60

But I must say this is interesting but I have never experienced really noticeable input lag using vsync.

Lucky you.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yeah it still gives input lag in my experience...

Is it the same or less with vsync enabled and frame rate limiter ? 

Is it the same or less with vsync enabled and frame rate limiter ? 

Same.

Same.

So how come I can get any game to work like that ? I've tested on my laptop and hdmi TV, are you using nvidia card - not sure if that matters but just wondering...

So how come I can get any game to work like that ? I've tested on my laptop and hdmi TV, are you using nvidia card - not sure if that matters but just wondering...

I had an Nvidia card and tried this out from another forum. Maybe it's just how sensitive I am to these kinds of things but any amount of stuttering irks me and I notice it.

You still get vsync/input latency, because you don't fundementally change how graphics cards operate under a locked framerate, you're only halting the output.

It will still try to render a new frame for the framebuffer, but gets put in a waiting state to let the monitor finish scanning the framebuffer. And if the game progresses quickly during that phase, you also get a less-than-subtle motion progression. I believe you when you think locked 60fps is fluent playback, but look at a gsync monitor once and you'll know it isn't.

If it were this simple, Nvidia wouldn't have spent piles of money on G-sync.

You still get vsync/input latency, because you don't fundementally change how graphics cards operate under a locked framerate, you're only halting the output.

It will still try to render a new frame for the framebuffer, but gets put in a waiting state to let the monitor finish scanning the framebuffer. And if the game progresses quickly during that phase, you also get a less-than-subtle motion progression. I believe you when you think locked 60fps is fluent playback, but look at a gsync monitor once and you'll know it isn't.

If it were this simple, Nvidia wouldn't have spent piles of money on G-sync.

Yea, true true. I can see a slight difference vsync / no vsync at 60fps, but then again for someone who plays with a controller on big tv its still better than 30fps locked on consoles. I don't see TV gsync happening in near future so from my point of view thats the best way to go

The only issue I have is with AC black flag. Without vsync it has HORRIBLE screen tearing - which I can't stand. But with vsync it jumps back and forth between 30 and 60 as you move around - which is just as annoying because it's constantly going from smooth to choppy, smooth, choppy. Really frustrating...

Ubisoft - why you no make your games run smooth on PC???

YUNOGuyMemeFace.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS