usb drive keeps disconnecting

Killswitch49

My generic usb 3.0 drive, while plugged into my front usb 3.0 port every few seconds disconnects and then reconnects a few seconds later. It keeps on doing this repeatedly. How to fix? thx

i5 4670k / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 / Asus Maximus vi hero lga 1150 mobo / Sapphire tri-x r9 290 OC edition / corsair vengeance pro red 4 x 4 gb 2133mhz cas 9 ram kit / nzxt phantom 530 black / 120gb samsung 840 evo ssd / 240 gb ocz arc 100 ssd / 2x 1tb WD Blue / Cooler Master v850 modular psu / corsair k70 rgb cherry mx Brown / mad catz rat 5 laser mouse / windows 10

Try a USB 2 port, my drives seem to do that as well, except not in a USB 2.0 port.

Ahh. I only have USB 2 ports on my mobo (phantom 530 has only USB 3.0)

i5 4670k / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 / Asus Maximus vi hero lga 1150 mobo / Sapphire tri-x r9 290 OC edition / corsair vengeance pro red 4 x 4 gb 2133mhz cas 9 ram kit / nzxt phantom 530 black / 120gb samsung 840 evo ssd / 240 gb ocz arc 100 ssd / 2x 1tb WD Blue / Cooler Master v850 modular psu / corsair k70 rgb cherry mx Brown / mad catz rat 5 laser mouse / windows 10

Try another port like behind the PC or right next to it. ---> Works? Your front port should be checked and/or replaced.

If the problem is still occurring try it on another computer. --> Works? Your ports should be checked and/or replaced. Check they're all connected to the motherboard.

If there is still a problem, you broke your flash drive.  --> Likely your VBus/GND portion of the USB Bus interface is damaged. In simpler terms, check lanes 1 and 4.

When was the last time it worked, and did anything special happen to the USB drive beforehand?

271px-Types-usb_th1.svg.png

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Ahh. I only have USB 2 ports on my mobo (phantom 530 has only USB 3.0)

Try it on a rear-IO connector, and see if the problem persists

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

alright ill report back

id does the same on back usb 3 and 2

I just tried it on my laptop and it work perfectly 

I just tried it on my laptop and it work perfectly 

Are the drivers for the motherboard updated?

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

• 3 weeks later...

Are the drivers for the motherboard updated?

Srry i am just coming bsck to this but the problem still persists. Yes the chipset and bios are up to date aswell as the usb 3.0 boost software (mobo asus maximus vi hero)

Hmm...

I had the same problem with my laptop and USB drive, too  :/ Don't know how to fix it - what I had to do was uninstall the driver software for the USB drive every time I plugged it in (device manager>uninstall)

Hmm...

I had the same problem with my laptop and USB drive, too  :/ Don't know how to fix it - what I had to do was uninstall the driver software for the USB drive every time I plugged it in (device manager>uninstall)

could you give more specific directions to deleting the drivers as i am sort of clueless

could you give more specific directions to deleting the drivers as i am sort of clueless

Search 'device manager' in your start menu, open it. It should give you your PC name followed by groups of devices like "disk drives", "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and "Other Devices". your device (I can't tell you the name of it, but look for something that could be it, or open up the program, then plug the device in - it should appear) should be there. 

If it isn't, there isn't much you can do, maybe contact Asus for help? If it is, then right click and select "uninstall"

If the problem persists, contact Asus for help. If their customer service is good, they'll help you. If it's not so great, they'll tell you it's a driver problem and not their fault.