Best upgrades for older computer

I feel that this is the best forum for this thread. If it isn't, please forgive me.

I have an HP Compaq dc7600 small form factor PC. I want to upgrade it to the best of its capability, just for the sake of it. That includes a new processor and graphics card. But, I'm not sure what I want to get.

Currently, it has a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 630 (hyperthreaded) processor, its default Intel graphics controller and 4GB of DDR2 RAM. I actually experimented with installing 8GB of RAM, and even though the BIOS correctly detected the full 8GB, the computer would crash after a few minutes. Windows did not, because it's a 32 bit installation.

I would like to upgrade the computer to be able to play some games, as a spare computer. Nothing really new and PC crunching and nothing on extreme graphics settings. We'll save that for another computer. I know that I'd be able to install a Core 2 Duo or possibly a Core 2 Quad in this computer but I'm not sure what kind of GPU. It has to be a low profile GPU, a regular, full-sized GPU is simply too tall to fit in the case. And that's where I'm not sure as to which GPU to get. I'm looking for a GPU that would go well with a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad.

Here are some more detailed specs:

• Hewlett-Packard 09F8h motherboard, DDR2 based board
  • Intel Pentium 4 630, hyperthreaded processor. 3.0GHz clock speed. Codename Prescott.
  • Socket 775 LGA
  • Bus speed is 200MHz, rated FSB speed is 800MHz
  • 4GB DDR2-667 RAM. 4GB limit. 4 slots, but 4GB can still be utilized in 2x2GB.
  • One PCIe x16 slot available, for low profile GPUs. It must be low profile, a regular height GPU will not fit.
  • Two SATA connectors on the board, SSD upgrades shouldn't be much of a hassle.
  • I believe the PSU is 240 or 250 watts. Most likely 240 watts. The PSU cannot be upgraded, due to the case design.

Things to remember:

• This isn't a powerful PSU, and has a low limit.
  • Low profile GPU!

What upgrade suggestions do you have?

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

budget?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I have an HP Compaq dc7600 small form factor PC. I want to upgrade it to the best of its capability, just for the sake of it. That includes a new processor and graphics card. But, I'm not sure what I want to get.

I have a Quadro NVS 310 I could give you. It's a low profile card and doesn't require a powerful PSU to run. It's not the best card but it fits in your low-profile case and gives you about GT 520 level performance. Come over some day and I'll hand it to you if you want.

"Rawr XD"

GTX 750/Ti

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

budget?

I'd like to keep it below $100.

I'd like to keep it below $100.

used 650?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I feel that this is the best forum for this thread. If it isn't, please forgive me.

Currently, it has a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 630 (hyperthreaded) processor, its default Intel graphics controller and 4GB of DDR2 RAM. I actually experimented with installing 8GB of RAM, and even though the BIOS correctly detected the full 8GB, the computer would crash after a few minutes. Windows did not, because it's a 32 bit installation.

I would like to upgrade the computer to be able to play some games, as a spare computer. Nothing really new and PC crunching and nothing on extreme graphics settings. We'll save that for another computer. I know that I'd be able to install a Core 2 Duo or possibly a Core 2 Quad in this computer but I'm not sure what kind of GPU. It has to be a low profile GPU, a regular, full-sized GPU is simply too tall to fit in the case. And that's where I'm not sure as to which GPU to get. I'm looking for a GPU that would go well with a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad.

Here are some more detailed specs:

• Hewlett-Packard 09F8h motherboard, DDR2 based board
  • Intel Pentium 4 630, hyperthreaded processor. 3.0GHz clock speed. Codename Prescott.
  • Socket 775 LGA
  • Bus speed is 200MHz, rated FSB speed is 800MHz
  • 4GB DDR2-667 RAM. 4GB limit. 4 slots, but 4GB can still be utilized in 2x2GB.
  • One PCIe x16 slot available, for low profile GPUs. It must be low profile, a regular height GPU will not fit.
  • Two SATA connectors on the board, SSD upgrades shouldn't be much of a hassle.
  • I believe the PSU is 240 or 250 watts. Most likely 240 watts. The PSU cannot be upgraded, due to the case design.

Things to remember:

• This isn't a powerful PSU, and has a low limit.
  • Low profile GPU!

What upgrade suggestions do you have?

Check if the motherboard is standard - I have some DC7900 workstations and the PSU and Motherboard are all non-standard. The motherboard is a mirror image of what is should be, and the PSU is 1cm too tall. Found out when i tried to re-use some parts from it.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Check if the motherboard is standard - I have some DC7900 workstations and the PSU and Motherboard are all non-standard. The motherboard is a mirror image of what is should be, and the PSU is 1cm too tall. Found out when i tried to re-use some parts from it.

I can tell you right off the bat that the PSU is not standard, well, at least in form factor. Due to the toolless nature of the case (everything is toolless) the shape of the PSU is very non-conventional. It isn't long like some PSUs are from similar models, but it wouldn't work in just any case. As for the motherboard, I'm not sure. It probably is non-standard or a proprietary design from HP.

I can tell you right off the bat that the PSU is not standard, well, at least in form factor. Due to the toolless nature of the case (everything is toolless) the shape of the PSU is very non-conventional. It isn't long like some PSUs are from similar models, but it wouldn't work in just any case. As for the motherboard, I'm not sure. It probably is non-standard or a proprietary design from HP.

If that's the case then if you want to upgrade you might as well get a new case, PSU, motherboard, CPU and GPU - if you want to swap out the processor you'll probably want a new motherboard, and from what I know the PSU on these aren't all that reliable, either. 

:/ my biggest problem with older HP systems is that they're all non-standard so it's difficult to upgrade it at all.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

If that's the case then if you want to upgrade you might as well get a new case, PSU, motherboard, CPU and GPU - if you want to swap out the processor you'll probably want a new motherboard, and from what I know the PSU on these aren't all that reliable, either. 

:/ my biggest problem with older HP systems is that they're all non-standard so it's difficult to upgrade it at all.

I'm not building a new system to be an upgraded version of this HP Compaq. My laptop is already far more powerful and plays my games excellently. I just want to upgrade this one just for the fun of it and also so my brother has a computer he can use to play games, because all his computers are dead. Besides, the computer I'll be building in the future will be highly powerful. It will have to be for my intended purposes.

The processor is definitely a possible upgrade. There are plenty of socket 775 LGA Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads, I know for sure. I'm not 100% sure that the motherboard would be totally up to handling a Core 2 Quad, but I so far don't see any reason as to why it shouldn't, besides FSB speed, but I haven't looked that up quite yet. A Core 2 Duo should be no issue for this machine.

It shouldn't be difficult to install a low profile GPU. I particularly want to play SimCity Societies on this machine (which, so far, I'm seeing that it does relatively decently, but I haven't tested a big city yet) so I don't have too high of requirements. Heck, I may be able to get away without upgrading the processor at all. I'm just not sure what to be looking for in terms of GPUs.

used 650?

Is it a low profile GPU? What kind of performance does it get, if you have any experiences with it and games?

Is it a low profile GPU? What kind of performance does it get, if you have any experiences with it and games?

I have it and its a budget card so usually plays on medium but there are games where I can play high or where I have to play on low and its just taller than the pci opening

I'm not building a new system to be an upgraded version of this HP Compaq. My laptop is already far more powerful and plays my games excellently. I just want to upgrade this one just for the fun of it and also so my brother has a computer he can use to play games, because all his computers are dead. Besides, the computer I'll be building in the future will be highly powerful. It will have to be for my intended purposes.

The processor is definitely a possible upgrade. There are plenty of socket 775 LGA Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads, I know for sure. I'm not 100% sure that the motherboard would be totally up to handling a Core 2 Quad, but I so far don't see any reason as to why it shouldn't, besides FSB speed, but I haven't looked that up quite yet. A Core 2 Duo should be no issue for this machine.

It shouldn't be difficult to install a low profile GPU. I particularly want to play SimCity Societies on this machine (which, so far, I'm seeing that it does relatively decently, but I haven't tested a big city yet) so I don't have too high of requirements. Heck, I may be able to get away without upgrading the processor at all. I'm just not sure what to be looking for in terms of GPUs.

If you have enough RAM for what you want to do, check if the motherboard chipset supports a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad.

I think a MX100 SSD and a GTX 750 would be great, and you'll see reasonable performance from that in most games. (With a core 2 Quad)

I have it and its a budget card so usually plays on medium but there are games where I can play high or where I have to play on low and its just taller than the pci opening

Do you think the card will have trouble with a Pentium 4? 

Do you think the card will have trouble with a Pentium 4? 

what gen?

If you have enough RAM for what you want to do, check if the motherboard chipset supports a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad.

I think a MX100 SSD and a GTX 750 would be great, and you'll see reasonable performance from that in most games. (With a core 2 Quad)

The GTX 750 isn't going to fit. It is 4.376 inches high, where the highest card I can fit in this machine is just over 3 inches.

An SSD upgrade could be possible, though, since the machine is SATA based.

SSD will make it feel much faster

It won't help with performance in games or other applications though. An SSD would be the last on my list of upgrades for this machine, but something I definitely may consider.

what gen?

It's a Pentium 4 630, Prescott. It's a 3GHz processor with hyperthreading.

It's a Pentium 4 630, Prescott. It's a 3GHz processor with hyperthreading.

should be fine

should be fine

I just looked it up, and it seems that it's too tall and won't fit. It's about 4.3 inches tall but the largest card this computer can fit is about 3.2 inches tall.

The GTX 750 isn't going to fit. It is 4.376 inches high, where the highest card I can fit in this machine is just over 3 inches.

An SSD upgrade could be possible, though, since the machine is SATA based.

http://store.galaxytechus.com/GALAXY-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-GC-Slim-2-GB-GDDR5-PCI-Express-30-DVIHDMIVGA-Graphics-CardbrbrBONUS-Low-profile-brackets-now-included-free_p_90.html

They make half-height cards, too. (They come with low-profile brackets)

If this can't fit, it's not standard, so you won't be able to put any card in.

SSDs are cheap, reliable, and much, much faster. They won't help the FPS, but loading times will be a lot better.

I just looked it up, and it seems that it's too tall and won't fit. It's about 4.3 inches tall but the largest card this computer can fit is about 3.2 inches tall.

i said 650 and is the same height as the bracket, does your case have some weird bracket?

http://store.galaxytechus.com/GALAXY-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-GC-Slim-2-GB-GDDR5-PCI-Express-30-DVIHDMIVGA-Graphics-CardbrbrBONUS-Low-profile-brackets-now-included-free_p_90.html

They make half-height cards, too. (They come with low-profile brackets)

If this can't fit, it's not standard, so you won't be able to put any card in.

SSDs are cheap, reliable, and much, much faster. They won't help the FPS, but loading times will be a lot better.

The height of the GPU seems to be 1.57 inches. I should measure one of the slot covers on my computer to see if that's the same size. So, assuming the back plate of the GPU is the same size (as the card itself is only 1.57 inches high) it looks like this GPU would fit. Thanks for pointing me towards this GPU. 

This computer might not be able to take full advantage of an SSD, but I'm sure it'd be a worthy upgrade. But, if I were to get an SSD, it'd be for my laptop first.