Using Samsung 40 Inch 4K 120Hz Smart TV For Monitor Worth It?

scatcats22

There is no such thing as 4k @ 120Hz. That doesnt exist yet.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Edit:

It is 60Hz. Is it worth it, and will HDMI 2.0 support it?

You can get the Monoprice 28" 4k monitor for $575 + Shipping, I'd say that's a better deal than the Samsung TV even though I've seen the 50" version and DAMN, it is beautiful.

If I may ask are you planning just to use it with a computer, or as a media center? (I.E. Watching TV, Movies, Playing Console games, and where would it be used?)

For a living room the the Samsung 40" may be the best bet, but for a small bedroom or office the Monoprice 28" is the way to go. But also remember that the Monoprice is going to have worse viewing angles because it is a TN panel.

The Samsung 40" is a smart TV so I don't know if using it for a media center non-gaming PC would be a great idea, as it has USB ports for video and music playback, and access to services like Netflix and Hulu.

To answer your second question, Yes, it is HDMI 2.0 compatible, that's how it supports 60fps 4K, that's the drawback to the much cheaper Seiki TV's, they only support 4K at 30fps through HDMI 1.4a.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

I will be doing everything on it. It will be used as a computer monitor for gaming, Netflix, some photo editing, etc. I may also add a cable box to it in the future.