Do I get windows 8.1 now or wait it out until 10?

BlueTri

Questions pretty self explanatory just thought I'd get peoples opinions currently running windows 7.

If you have a touchscreen Windows 8.1 has advantages, if you don't 7 is fine for 95% of things.

Questions pretty self explanatory just thought I'd get peoples opinions currently running windows 7.

Windows 8.1 will get a free upgrade to Windows 10, so it really doesn't matter.

"Rawr XD"

well the issue is i've moved over the system from a previous computer so currently it thinks its not legit and im just redeeming continuous 30 days, so should i buy windows 7 or? i'm not using a touch screen.

well the issue is i've moved over the system from a previous computer so currently it thinks its not legit and im just redeeming continuous 30 days, so should i buy windows 7 or? i'm not using a touch screen.

Stay with 8.1

I'm pretty sure windows 10 is a free upgrade if you have windows 8/8.1.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Rumors are that W10 will be a free upgrade from 8/8.1

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Windows 8.1 will get a free upgrade to Windows 10, so it really doesn't matter.

Get windows 8.1, 10 will be free for 8 owners

I'm pretty sure windows 10 is a free upgrade if you have windows 8/8.1.

Don't state rumors as fact guys.

Are you comfortable with 7? Stay with 7. Do you want 8.1? Do you want 10? You seem like you're one of those "Should I upgrade now or wait" sorts and I have a sure fire way to solve your problem. Flip a coin. For instance...I could have decided to go with 4790k but x99 and ddr4 seemed rather pretty. I flipped a coin. Either way it's an upgrade from my i7 920. Same thing. 8.1 is an upgrade from 7 and so is 10. vista was a resource hog and 7 has some of the same. 8.1 is not so much and 8...well I think everyone is on 8.1 so we wont cover that haha! I say 8.1 now.

Reason? You get new toys to play with now and a possible upgrade in the future. Win Win.

get rekt

Gamer and enthusiast. Rig: 5930k @ 4.2 ghz, EVGA GTX970 SC, 16gb ram @3200 and all the noctua fans a man could want.

Windows 10 will NOT be free to anyone.

Microsoft has not talked about any of it.

Saying someones wishlist as fact won't make it a reality. It is nothing more than rumor as which I have reading since Windows 7 beta.

It makes no sense for Microsoft to make the OS for free to anyone. The best as free you'll get is Windows 10 Bing edition, which is exclusive for select trusted partners manufacture (Dell, HP...) for 9 inch devices and smaller, to make low cost tablet a reality, where teh screen is soo small, that you'll using Apps from the App Store, and this is how Microsoft plans to make money over time, as the user base grows and apps.

If Windows 10 doesn't do the $20 or nothing thing that Apple does with it's OS's, I might just quit with upgrading versions of Windows. It would stop a lot of pirating issues if Windows were cheap.

For anyone who doesn't know, the way Apple charges for it's OS's is amazing. Free if you can bring your Apple PC into a store (or do that Mavericks upgrade from Mountain Lion/Lion) and if you want an install disc, you pay $20. No product key BS. Super nice,

Oh yeah, Linux is free too....

Microsoft, be less 'spensive. It reminds me of the Ti calculators. 99% of schools require them so Texas Instruments jacks the prices into the sky...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

If Windows 10 doesn't do the $20 or nothing thing that Apple does with it's OS's, I might just quit with upgrading versions of Windows. It would stop a lot of pirating issues if Windows were cheap.

No it won't. An excellent indie game, World of Goo, dev was a vivid anti-DRM, with a good public image, and charged the game "what you want, starting from a 1$". It was the most pirated game.

For anyone who doesn't know, the way Apple charges for it's OS's is amazing. Free if you can bring your Apple PC into a store (or do that Mavericks upgrade from Mountain Lion/Lion) and if you want an install disc, you pay $20. No product key BS. Super nice,

I have this great ISP/TV/Phone provider. Cost a 400000 dollars, but you only pay once, and get all the TV channels, actually decent internet, and all the phone features. Amazing deal! That is what Apple does. The price of the OS (which Apple life is a million time easier as they don't really touch core, they let the free community handle it, and just does mostly GUI features), part of price of the system. Apple estimates the average user will keep how long their system. And it's easy for Apple to pull a Vista, where the GUI gets too demanding for a smooth experience forcing you to buy a new Mac your 2-3 gen system. Look at iPhone upgrades. The more you upgrade teh iPhone OS the slower the phone gets.

Microsoft tries its best, considering some level of fairness, to support low powered device to give you affordable solutions.

Oh yeah, Linux is free too....

By Linux, I'll assume you mean Linux based OS distro's, and that is absolutely not free. It survives on donation and paid support (which isn't cheap, especially for businesses), else you are on your own, with forums.

So you are telling me that you can get a fancy SSD, super expensive GPU, over priced CPU, but oh no, that Windows software, this super complicated software that is fine. And as for Adobe (before Creqative Cloud), were selling a SIGNIFICANTLY, simpler software in all shape in form, for massively more expensive than Windows, that is also ok.

Microsoft, be less 'spensive. It reminds me of the Ti calculators. 99% of schools require them so Texas Instruments jacks the prices into the sky...

No. The Ti calculator, would be like Microsoft is selling you Windows 95, and you have no new OS since it's original releases, with no support of any kind.

Microsoft does massive work on the core of it's OS, provide weekly (or faster) security update on detected security issues and discovered outside and internally. Apple, only fixes security issues that reach the media. Plus Windows continues to evolve the support not only current hardware, but next generation hardware for a "just work" experience, and not have to fight to make stuff kinda work. Yes, sometimes it means dropping legacy stuff, but that is part of life, and Microsoft is actually pretty good at keeping compatibility. Assuming software follows documentation to the letter, Windows 3.1 program will run just fine on Windows 8 and 10. And you can find youtube videos showing this, where they start with like Windows 1,2 or 3, and upgrade to every version to Windows 8, and stuff originally works fine considering the massive changes the OS has undertook, including core changes (MSDOS, NT3, NT6 (Vista)).

No it won't. An excellent indie game, World of Goo, dev was a vivid anti-DRM, with a good public image, and charged the game "what you want, starting from a 1$". It was the most pirated game.

It was not THE MOST PIRATED GAME. There are literally hundreds of games more frequently pirated games, all of which originally cost $50-60. And yes, it absolutely would reduce piracy to some extent if Microsoft even charged $50 for Windows. In my case, I might actually consider buying the OS--I will never consider buying a $100 operating system. Granted, a large percentage of Windows piracy occurs outside of the U.S., and the most commonly pirated copies are always Windows Professional VLA versions--it would still make a difference if you could buy Windows cheaply. That said, Windows will never be free, Microsoft simply doesn't control the devices people can use the OS on like Apple does. Even when Apple was charging for OS X, it wasn't making up a significant percentage of their revenue.

Re: ORIGINAL POST

How do I put this... I switched my primary drive to Windows 10 Technical Preview because it is more stable and user friendly than the latest release of Windows 8.1. Windows 8/8.1 is a very frustrating operating system and for me was unusable because of how exclusively meant for touchscreen it was. Microsoft is also already talking about Windows 8.1 in the past tense and setting dates for when certain aspects will go unsupported.

My suggestion: Windows 7.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000