AMD’s Lisa Su: high-end "Zen" x86 cores set to be available in 2016

BiG StroOnZ

From where we are today, our [server] product portfolio in x86 is several years old, and we are certainly looking at updating that over the next couple of years,” said Lisa Su during a conference call with investors and financial analysts.

Dr. Su seems to fully admit that AMD’s current-generation Opteron microprocessors based on the Piledriver micro-architecture (first introduced in 2012) are completely outdated and cannot really compete against offerings from Intel Corp. Still, Lisa Su believes that even before 2016 AMD will be able to address dense-servers/micro-servers with its low-power x86/ARM-based offerings.

It is not the first time when AMD implies that its next-generation high-performance x86 micro-architecture code-named Zen will materialize in 2016. However, the reiteration of the plan from the new CEO seems to be an important event since it means that, at least now, the new head of the company believes in AMD’s ability to create a competitive high-performance x86 micro-architecture.

The only thing currently known about AMD’s Zen is that it will drop clustered multi-thread (CMT) design in favour of more traditional simultaneous multi-threaded (SMT) design. This may result in decrease of the amount of cores inside AMD’s processors, but will increase their efficiency. Jim Keller, who led the development of AMD’s ultra-successful Athlon 64 and Opteron (K8) processors in the early 2000s, heads the team that designs AMD’s next-generation Zen micro-architecture.

amd_kaveri_chip.jpg

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amds-lisa-su-expects-high-end-zen-x86-cores-set-to-be-available-in-2016/

Well, looks like AMD finally realizes they are way behind, and is on track to do better.

Umm, nobody's really using X86 now....

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Cautiously eager anticipation.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

x86 in this context also means x86-64

edit: ninja'ed :(

Oh. I feel stupid. -_-

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I really hope the best for amd, I want them to show Intel some competition and really show us consumers that Intel is not the only one to come to when your serious about gaming etc. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

hopefully its good, im tired of staying on intel. i like to try a little bit of everything but that cant happen if the other party doesn't really have some compelling products. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

I really doubt that the people at AMD were under the impression that their chips were not inferior to Intel's offerings, they knew but this is just AMD Finally admitting it. This will hopefully lead to better Intel chips in the long run which is the only thing that I really care about.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

AMD's code name for their new chip is Lisa su's Zen?

*Scolls down* Linus got Ninja'd, TerryTek was wrong and failed Joey DM.

Cant wait to see what AMD has to offer, Im still waiting for their cards.

AMD's own botched NetBurst fiasco comes to a logical end. Bulldozer was a stillborn architecture anyway.

Wait... high performance CPUs? Is AMD going back to ~2003-05 days where they decide to actually compete against Intel, and offer CPUs of much more interest?

I recall the days of AMD Athlon 64 X2 on Socket 939, where it crushed Intel best offering by not only being 64-bit compatible (proper 64-bit), but also proper dual core.

Could this mean an eventual come back? (2017-2018?)

*realizes that he ninja'd @LinusTech*

HOLY BALLS I DID IT! I FINALLY HAVE ENOUGH FASTS!

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

damn, the amount of pressure on Jim Keller, wonder how he's coping. Everybody remembers his track record and expects him to do it again.

damn, the amount of pressure on Jim Keller, wonder how he's coping. Everybody remembers his track record and expects him to do it again.

Given Su is likely to give him the money, people, and hardware he needs, Keller should be doing alright. Pressured? Yes. A lot of ground to make up? Yes. Well-supplied? For once, yes.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Let's be fair here, go read the posts on Emulators.com if you want the run down, but AMD's bulldozer architecture had GREAT promise, and could have been competitive with intel's continued SMT architectures. They did not build their idea out the way they needed to to do so. They COULD have, and CMT had the potential to move the performance bar set by Intel, the idea and the architecture weren't what failed, it was the implementation. Blame still rests solely at the feet of AMD and whoever made those choices but the fact remains that Bulldozer had the potential to fulfill all the promises AMD made and more, but they failed to capitalize and made bad decisions on where to skimp on the build out.

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amds-lisa-su-expects-high-end-zen-x86-cores-set-to-be-available-in-2016/

Well, looks like AMD finally realizes they are way behind, and is on track to do better.

Well once they catch up in  3-4 years I may think about buying AMD again. They really should have done something about this sooner. I'm glad the new CEO can acknowledge they are playing catch up. 

x86 in this context also means x86-64

edit: ninja'ed :(

OHHHHHHHH GOTCHA!

HAHAHAHA! Zen? I expect to see that. :)

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.