GTX 770 SLI chip temperature question

Go to solution Solved by Raudi_,

Yes, it's running this hot from the very beginning so i do really start to thing that this must be the problem with cooler itself.

Yeah it seems to be so. the only things you could look at doing is:

1.) RMA the card

2.) Keep the card like it is and keep on gaming

3.) Get a 3rd party air cooler

4.) Go watercooling

I've been running on two-way sli (ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II) for five months already. And ever since than I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the upper card (the one that has less cool air access) always runs hotter that the other one.

I don't know how some of you feel about your video cards' temperatures but to me 80 celcius is already to mush, so i even lowered the power limit of the 1st GPU to 70% and was getting 75 degrees tops and averaging in games on about 69 - 73 celcius. I think i even voided my warranty by swapping the thermal paste on both cards which gave me roughly 3 - 5 degrees boost. And than i tried swapping the two cards places to see the temperature differences. If any. 

Now here is the question! It turned out that the 2nd GPU (when swapped places with the 1st one) was running much cooler both in desktop and 3D applications even tough it had much less cool air access. Than i re-applied the thermal paste on the hotter (1st GPU ) again, just to see if it was the matter with thermal paste. Yet again the same result! For testing i ran Kombustor (OpenGL 2, Torus object). I made sure that all settings in Afterburner were reset to default on both cards and synchronized. I am also sure that DirectCU II coolers and thermal paste on both cards are fine because the heat dissipation is great - temps drop by 5-6 degrees in 1 second right after the stress test is over. 

So what i got is the following difference - the 1st GPU when placed in upper slot (and 2nd GPU in lower slot) was reaching 70 celcius in a minute or so after stress test started while after swapping them places the 2nd GPU (in place of the 1st one) didn't even reach 70 degrees in 2,5 minutes. Also the temperature was raising much slower in comparison with the 1st GPU. 

Is my 1st GPU faulty? Or could it just be the binning? I know that all chips are slightly different and none is like the other.

Interesting your thoughts! 

Update 20 Oct 14:

Here are two screenshots showing that the 1st GPU (as i call it) while being placed in lower slot and having much more cool air access is still running hotter than the 2nd GPU!

1st GPU (the hotter one):
post-40003-0-03397300-1413803413.gif

2nd GPU (the one that's supposed to be hotter)

post-40003-0-64109400-1413803445.gif

As you can see the hotter card is using more power which is the reason for the card to be hotter, and thet's why (i think) it may be the bios settings difference.

Update 21 Oct 14:

So i flushed the bios on the hotter card with the same bios as on the other one. Performance seems to have increased but the temps and power consumption remained  the same.

Are they both at stock?
Running at the same voltage?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It could be faulty, or it may be dust that builds up in the heat sink. You should check if the fans spin properly, now you voided the warranty, but getting a replacement (or even a custom) cooler shouldn't be hard.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I believe it's just the cooler being inefficient. Try swapping bother cooler and see if that makes a difference.

you can always just live with it for now until you want to go custom loop or like a more airflow setup.

why don't you try to put them up in stress test in a 15min or 30min integer and see their temps.

Live your life like a dream.

70 to 85c is completely normal and fine for GTX 770 cards. Remember it's not how you feel about the temps it how the cards are designed to run.

Are they both at stock?

Running at the same voltage?

Yes. All settings at stock. Voltage should also be the same as i never changed it.

It could be faulty, or it may be dust that builds up in the heat sink. You should check if the fans spin properly, now you voided the warranty, but getting a replacement (or even a custom) cooler shouldn't be hard.

It's not the dust. I actually keep them very tidy ^_^

I have a feeling that your case is not supplying enough fresh air to the video cards. As well as changing the thermal paste on the video card does not change the temperature that much unless the card has aged 2+ years

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Chassis/Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe RAM:  Team Vulcan 2x4Gb(2133Mhz)  Video Card: Asus 7970 Direct CU II Custom Rom (150% Power, 1100 core 6Ghz Memory)  Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750 Watt  Keyboard: Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Blue Switches)  MouseCorsair M90 Storage: SX900 128Gb, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM, WD Green 1TB 7200RPM   MY OLD BUILDLOG

The Fastest 8350 @5.33Ghz with a score of 9.16pts in Cinebench 11.5

70 to 85c is completely normal and fine for GTX 770 cards. Remember it's not how you feel about the temps it how the cards are designed to run.

Yes, thank you, i know that they are designed to run stable below 96 celcius but the cooler they run the longer theoretical lifespan could be.

I believe it's just the cooler being inefficient. Try swapping bother cooler and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the advise! I also think this could be the issue. Maybe i'll try it latter

Yes, thank you, i know that they are designed to run stable below 96 celcius but the cooler they run the longer theoretical lifespan could be.

No not at all. Unless you are planing to run the same GPU for 10 to 20 years it's an inane metric to use.

Yes. All settings at stock. Voltage should also be the same as i never changed it.

Then it might just be the GPU itself that is concave and might not contact the cooling block as much as the other GPU...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Could it be the issue with bios difference by any chance?

Could it be the issue with bios difference by any chance?

I don't think so since my top 770 runs alomst 15C hotter then my bottom card and the BIOS's are the same on them both. (Custom BIOS)

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I don't think so since my top 770 runs alomst 15C hotter then my bottom card and the BIOS's are the same on them both. (Custom BIOS)

Yeah, but my lower hotter card placed in the lower slot is running as hot or even just a bit hotter than the upper one!

Yeah, but my lower hotter card placed in the lower slot is running as hot or even just a bit hotter than the upper one!

I might just be the cooler is making poor contact with the GPU core so its causing the card to run hotter which I have had happen to me before with a brand new card.

The real question is, did it run that hot when the card was new?

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I might just be the cooler is making poor contact with the GPU core so its causing the card to run hotter which I have had happen to me before with a brand new card.

The real question is, did it run that hot when the card was new?

Yes, it's running this hot from the very beginning so i do really start to thing that this must be the problem with cooler itself.

1.) RMA the card

4.) Go watercooling

|King Of The Lost|

1.) RMA the card

4.) Go watercooling

I'm hot sure if i could RMA the card as I live in Ukraine and they probably do not support my region. + I already voided the warranty.

But Hey! your suggestions are great) I think I will just keep on gaming and maybe go wattercooling somewhere in the future. 

But it's bloody expensive! Especially in my country.

I'm hot sure if i could RMA the card as I live in Ukraine and they probably do not support my region. + I already voided the warranty.

But Hey! your suggestions are great) I think I will just keep on gaming and maybe go wattercooling somewhere in the future. 

But it's bloody expensive! Especially in my country.

Eh even if you broke the warranty sticker on the card as long as you didn't damage the heatsink and shroud for the card you can RMA it. JJ from Asus said that himself many times. 

|King Of The Lost|

1. looks to me like you are suffering from the binning process more than anything else

one card requires more voltage even at stock speeds.

2. also you have not mentioned your case and how the cards are positioned

and what fans you have installed in said case.

these cards vent all their heat out into your case  so you need plenty of airflow.

3. if you wanted your hardware at a lower temperature sli is not the best way of

going about it

4. dont run programs like kombuster especially if you want your hardware to last

as long as possible. Use something like Unigene Valley or Unigene Heaven instead

HAF-x,  silverstone op1000, 4670k 1.28v 4.3ghz,  gigabyte g1 sniper z87,  gskill ares 1866 2x4gb,  EVGA gtx 970 FTW 1518/7800, ocz vertex 4 128gb, seagate SSHD 2Tb