are the computers at your school/college/university/work any good?

asim1999

back when i actually went to school, each classroom has a cart with laptops, i5 16 gigs ram, 1440p screens, blah blah blah. high end blah.

went into the actual tech room and we're fighting over pentiums and motherboards with pci-E.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

dont know have no reason to go to the computer labs when i have my own

so at my high school they give all the new freshman a new laptop and you use the same laptop for 4 years. For this year the we got Lenovo think pad yoga 2's, the sophomores have some Fujitsu shit that takes 10 million years to boot and never works(that is the one that they bought a lot of to replace shadow laptops and most of the non teacher faculty they tried to give them to the teachers but they didnt want them) then the juniors and seniors and the juniors and seniors have the lenovo laptop/tablets that the screen spins around.

And the cad and art guys get custom towers with i7's, ssds, 16gb of memory, and gtx 770s (thank the lord that I got into the cad program) So you could say that we are pretty well off.

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

The laptops I was given by my college are pretty good with i7's, 8GB RAM and some mobile Nvidia card but it doesn't do any good when the 5200 RPM hard drive is bloated with all kinds of student help garbage and a locked down windows. They don't want you to change anything without first asking an administrator, and they're never at their desk so I almost never use this thing.

The most infuriating thing is that they charge $500 a semester for it but we don't get to keep it, and they won't let me use my own, and they made it mandatory for all students.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

My University bought about 150 new 21.5" iMacs for the graphic design labs, media labs, audio recording/video production labs (of which I unboxed and setup all of them this past Summer). They're the 2.7GHz i5 with 8GB of RAM, 1TB Hard drive, and Iris Pro graphics (Which is a shame since they kinda need dedicated GPUs).

Our Computer Science and Engineering labs use HP all in ones with Core i5's @ 3.2GHz, 12GB of RAM, and 1TB Hard drives, again no dedicated GPUs.

The cinema division of my school (where I spend all my time) is supposed to get new Mac Pros every four years, and we were supposed to get new ones this year, however, the state of Minnesota denied it, so for this year, we are stuck with 2010 era Mac Pros. Still miles a head of what some of you folks got, but when you are trying to work with 4k video files, GeForce 300 cards don't cut it!

My work has an old 1998 IBM machine that goes into full load and has the cpu fan ramp up to 100% just doing basic addition or multiplication. It takes 30 mins to boot up from off.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Some Intel branded computers and the usual iMac w/ dual boot. Specs are unknown but to be honest I could care less.

School(as in elementary, middle, high), the computers are simply, meh. Lots of Dell slim towers and some older full towers.

College/Uni, dependent on class subject, there are some classes that have no computers, then others with some computers, then the programming and video editing classes have high end CPU's and/or GPU's for calculations and rendering.

Work, well lets just say the higher up staff get the better stuff while us plebs work with what we are budgeted with, sometimes we can splurged, but not all the time haha.

the bad pc's at my school are c2d pc's and the good pc's are ivy bridge i3's.

there is also a library at my school where you can borrow a macbook pro

funny thing: you can take a macbook pro just like that but when you want to borrow 1.50$ headphones they ask you for your credit pass as deposit xD

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Can't remember what my old school had but they upgraded to Ubuntu based slim systems for common use ones, and to some decent for IT rooms.

Our department uses Dells machines which are pretty good. And they have to be since we are using GIS, Surpac and other CAD/GIS software. Plus several analysis stuff. There are some IBM/HP/Lenovo laptops hanging around and atleast one Toughbook which is really old.

My old work place had Dell laptops with i7 for most people. My workstation had i7 too and some old crappy Quatro which lost its drivers if it was shutdown over the weekend. Working with 20k cell excel files, GIS, 3D modelling for mining solutions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

There are ones that you get to build yourself:

Desktops assembled by a company near school

- Pentium 4 3.0GHz (2002-2003 era)

- 1GB DDR RAM

- no GPU

- FSP Group 300W PSU (these SUCK, I had one blow up while working on these PCs)

There are also some other PCs in a "closed environment"

Dell Dimensions I guess.

- Intel Xeons from like 2007-2009

other specs unknown

The servers run on Xeons from like 2003-2005.

Luckily I use a decent laptop.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Our lab for my program (Video Game Design) is using Xeon E5-1620 v2 @ 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM and Quadro K2000 GPU computers. We are pretty lucky considering the rest of the college is using the basic Dell pentium, 4GB base computer.

We also get special treatment in the way of having two monitors per computer (which is ours until the program ends), wacom tablets and fibre op internet. It's pretty badass!

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

My university uses dell workstation grade desktops.  Pretty nice specs:

Sandy bridge i5's

8 gigs ram

And get this, some of them have top of the line Nvidia Quadro cards (For our Graphics Com. majors)  Lucky bastards.  the standard desktops get some ancient Radeon (ATI, yeah its ancient) gpu.  The most graphically intense thing they run is autodesk 3d modeling programs

I used my old EVGA GTX285 with its thermal limiters off to cook an egg once.  ONCE.

Kinda, my school computer has that every student gets has an i7 4700MQ, 730M and 8GB of RAM.

We have Dell Optiplex slim pc's
Most of them will be using a core 2 duo or a lower end Pentium processor with only 2 gb of RAM.
This isn't very helpful for the subjects I take as they can be quite demanding, apart from the music, media and film studies computers which mainly consist of having i3's.
Very little or no PC's at my school have an i5 or more than 2gb ram in which is kinda shoddy for what they could have done.

Pentium 4, 4gb ram, windows vista and 7, 250 or 500 gb hdd (not sure) and Geforce gt240 (or worse)

Then again, we don't neec anything better

Intel core duo something @ 2.xGHz, 2GB RAM and ,worst of all, Vista.

And I'm at pretty much the best geared highschool in my region,jeez.

We do have a Samsung smart class.God knows what that is, still didn't get to use it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I thought that they were routers on my teachers desks at first, but no, they are computers. So yes, they do suck terribly