Simple School Planner Software

berderder

Hi all!

I would really like to build a simple school planner booting straight from the desktop (doesn't need any online/sync features).  What programming language do you think I should use?  I am in school for Computer Science right now, and really don't know any languages, yet.  Anything else I should consider?  It doesn't need to be pretty - just very simple and I have specific ideas for the rest of the build.  

Thanks in advance!

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

If yu don't know any languages yet then how do you expect to make a program? just download one.

If yu don't know any languages yet then how do you expect to make a program? just download one.

I have the time to learn one!  There are so many out there I am not sure which one to focus on...

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Also, there are so many convoluted, only online ones out there, that I decided it would be fun just to make my own....the ones I DO like are paid for subscriptions...

I have the time to learn one!  There are so many out there I am not sure which one to focus on...

Do the ones that they will teach you in your computer science class so you can study for school at the same time.

Do the ones that they will teach you in your computer science class so you can study for school at the same time.

Unfortunately I am still going over the basics, so the only programming I know is flowchart based to give me an idea of the organization...not a bad idea though when we get into Java, etc...

Unfortunately I am still going over the basics, so the only programming I know is flowchart based to give me an idea of the organization...not a bad idea though when we get into Java, etc...

Thats what I am saying, if you know you are going to do java in school then you can get a head start

Thats what I am saying, if you know you are going to do java in school then you can get a head start

Yep, that is a great point

It really would be quite a simple program - I just want two folders basically "Homework Done" and "Homework To-Do".... it would be nice as just a program that launched at startup - I could use folders on the desktop like this but that's not what I want

So left hand pane:

Classes

--->Home work Done

---> Homework To Do

Right Hand Pane:

Maybe some notes on each thing

I would suggest C#, WPF utilizing the MVVM deign pattern. It's ideally suited to this kind of task while being very industry relevant, assuming your target OS is Windows of course (you haven't specified). A useful framework for assisting with MVVM would be Prism which can be pulled in via NuGet assuming you use Visual Studio.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I would suggest C#, WPF utilizing the MVVM deign pattern. It's ideally suited to this kind of task while being very industry relevant, assuming your target OS is Windows of course (you haven't specified). A useful framework for assisting with MVVM would be Prism which can be pulled in via NuGet assuming you use Visual Studio.

Cool, I will check this out.  All very new to me.  Right now I am using Visual Studio with Visual Basic on Windows.  I would show you a screenshot of what I have so far on here but I don't know how  :P

There we go!

Planner

Great seems that you're going in the right direction. Although you can accomplish this with VB I would encourage you to move away from it if you're able to, it's very much seen as a dying language these days (not very industry relevant any more). You should find that you're able to infer enough knowledge of C# from it to transition adequately and comfortably.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Great seems that you're going in the right direction. Although you can accomplish this with VB I would encourage you to move away from it if you're able to, it's very much seen as a dying language these days (not very industry relevant any more). You should find that you're able to infer enough knowledge of C# from it to transition adequately and comfortably.

Cool, thanks