Which Cherry MX Switch should I get?

Go to solution Solved by loccilucas,

I would stay away from blue unless you are just typing all the time. Red's for gaming and browns are the in between. Honestly, spending 10 dollars on the mx switch set for testing might be something you should do because it's really something you feel. Either that or having best buy near you and just swap keyboards with different switches until you find the one for you. For me I had Razer green switches last week. Untouchable typing experience. But the corsair k70 with red switches I have now, untouchable gaming experience. 

Ignore this^

Get whatever you feel like is the best, that "blues for typing, reds for gaming " is utter nonsense, the type of key switch is NOT gonna affect you in games at all.

Yeah I am edging towards blue than brown but I have little experience with mechanical keyboards so I have no idea what one I should get, but I really think Blue is for me.

Do you recommend it?

Yeah I recommend blues, they are my favourite, they are loud, but they are not stupidly loud. But its all down to preference, try and go to a shop and try them out yourself, or if you can bother waiting buy one of them cherry key testers first.

I know that this has probably been beaten to death on forums but I thought I'd ask anyways. I am in the lovely situation of having about £110 in my pocket and I've needed a new keyboard for a while as I'm currently using an old PS/2 Microsoft keyboard that kinda sucks. I've been thinking of the Corsair Vengeance K70 however I don't know what switch I should go for, I'm edging toward Blue and Brown but what would be the best for me?

I like the sound of the audible click with the blues but are they really that loud? I could see my house mates getting irritated by it, so I don't know. 

What is your favourite MX Key and why? and do you think I should go Blue or Brown or what else?

Main PC: Fractal Design Define R4 - Intel i5 3450 - Sapphire 7870 - Samsung 8GB @1600mhz - Corsair CX750w - Sandisk 128gb Ultra Plus SSD - Seagate Barracuda 500gb - P8H77-M 

Keyboard and Mouse: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Blues) and a Razer Deathadder 2013

For what use?

Typing?

Gaming?

Browns are the best all-arounds though

Basically all, yeah. 

Main PC: Fractal Design Define R4 - Intel i5 3450 - Sapphire 7870 - Samsung 8GB @1600mhz - Corsair CX750w - Sandisk 128gb Ultra Plus SSD - Seagate Barracuda 500gb - P8H77-M 

Keyboard and Mouse: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Blues) and a Razer Deathadder 2013

I have a K70 with Blues, it's not THAT loud.

I have a K70 with Blues, it's not THAT loud.

Yeah I am edging towards blue than brown but I have little experience with mechanical keyboards so I have no idea what one I should get, but I really think Blue is for me.

Do you recommend it?

If it was a processor question I would answer you really quick but keyboard are about personnel preference :P I recommend you to order of those test set, they have 6 or 8 differents switches so you can test each of them and see which one fits you the most.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

I would stay away from blue unless you are just typing all the time. Red's for gaming and browns are the in between. Honestly, spending 10 dollars on the mx switch set for testing might be something you should do because it's really something you feel. Either that or having best buy near you and just swap keyboards with different switches until you find the one for you. For me I had Razer green switches last week. Untouchable typing experience. But the corsair k70 with red switches I have now, untouchable gaming experience. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

For what use?

Typing?

Gaming?

Browns are the best all-rounders though

So true

Can anyone else back this statement up? If that's the case I'll probably go for Brown.

If you like the blue switch noise, but worry it could be too loud, you could get some or rings to dampen the "clack" they would make as they bottom out, obiously you'll still get the audible "click" the actual switch makes.

I use blues and I love the click, and I personally don't think they're too loud.

Ima be that guy and say that it's all about preference. If you don't mind ordering test sets and see it as an investment, I would do that.

Ignore this^

Get whatever you feel like is the best, that "blues for typing, reds for gaming " is utter nonsense, the type of key switch is NOT gonna affect you in games at all.

Do you recommend it?

Yeah I recommend blues, they are my favourite, they are loud, but they are not stupidly loud. But its all down to preference, try and go to a shop and try them out yourself, or if you can bother waiting buy one of them cherry key testers first.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I've got a K70 with Blues and use it for Typing and Gaming depending on the day I type or game more, but I love blue switches with the tactial feedback and the satisfying click, I just need to get some o-rings for it so I don't have to hear the keys bottoming-out.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Everyone is going give there own opinion on keyboard they uses and what they like... Only honest opinion I tell you that you have figure out what you like.

Blues - The clickingness and the bump when they press on it

Red - The soft clickingness and really quiet and activation point that you really don't got press to get hit activate it. You will make a lot mistake when you Microsoft Office 

Browns - The quiet version of the blues 

Razer custom cherry MX - Are like a blue and red with the sound and activation point

Ignore this^

Yeah I thought it was a bit strange. Definitely going to be going for blues then, thanks for the replies everyone. (I currently can not afford to buy sample boards unfortunately as that would mean I wouldn't have enough for the keyboard)

Ignore this^

Basically I state he should feel out which keys he like best, I also say to buy a cherry switch test kit and then you say "Ignore this" then proceed to tell him to get what feels like is best go by key tester kit. Good job. You are a smart guy.  And the type of key switch will not effect gaming? That is like saying it does not matter what type of gamepad you get because they won't effect your gaming. That statement is just beyond silly. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Basically I state he should feel out which keys he like best, I also say to buy a cherry switch test kit and then you say "Ignore this" then proceed to tell him to get what feels like is best go by key tester kit. Good job. You are a smart guy.  And the type of key switch will not effect gaming? That is like saying it does not matter what type of gamepad you get because they won't effect your gaming. That statement is just beyond silly. 

1. When I told him to ignore you, I was obviously referring to the "red's for gaming" rubbish as I actually repeated it.

2. The switch type will not affect your gaming.

3.A switch type is completely different to a whole gamepad, its abit of a shit comparison to be honest.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

For what use?

Typing?

Gaming?

Browns are the best all-rounders though

Yeah I thought it was a bit strange. Definitely going to be going for blues then, thanks for the replies everyone. (I currently can not afford to buy sample boards unfortunately as that would mean I wouldn't have enough for the keyboard)

Notice the first post on this thread. Obviously I am not the only person here who has enough experience to tell you that different switches are better for different things. If you thought you wanted blue switches and just wanted to hear someone else tell you to get blue switches why would you post asking what you should get? lol

well i personally use the cherry mx greens just got them and i love them i like the blues and i always found them to give me not enough feedback and too light. the greens are great but u needa try them out telling u what its like is like telling you how foods taste. you gotta taste it for yourself, in this case try them. consider the other switches too.

Notice the first post on this thread. Obviously I am not the only person here who has enough experience to tell you that different switches are better for different things. If you thought you wanted blue switches and just wanted to hear someone else tell you to get blue switches why would you post asking what you should get? lol

Yeah I get that but you specifically said Red is just for gaming, when all of the switches are fine for gaming/typing. If you said "If you game a lot, use red" etc etc, then it would make sense. 

Do you recommend it?

10/10 Wouldn't switch again.

Yeah I get that but you specifically said Red is just for gaming, when all of the switches are fine for gaming/typing. If you said "If you game a lot, use red" etc etc, then it would make sense. 

Everything can be used for gaming, everything and anything but there is a million people who will tell red are particularly better for it because of not having an actuation point. Like many people are saying, you have to feel them but generally speaking reds are the way to go for gaming. This is coming from someone who has had multiple types of switches. Never tried the browns but im sure they are good too. 

Update: Got a Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Blues, love them and the audible click BUT the audible click is damn distracting to others (presumably) lovely to type on but I would feel MX Browns would of been the ones I should of gone with, still no regrets as I rarely use my PC past (let's say) 11PM so it won't be that much of a distraction in such a fashion that would wake up people whom are sleeping, I suppose. :P