G-Sync vs. Vsync @ 120Hz or 144Hz

I know how G-Sync works, and have seen many reviews, but all of these are comparing G-Sync to 60Hz monitors.

Has anyone seen any reviews of G-Sync vs a 120Hz (or 144Hz) monitor?

It seems to me that the benefit of G-Sync wouldn't really be as noticeable if you turn on Vsync with a 120Hz or 144Hz refresh rate...

(assuming your GPU & game settings consistently push > 60 fps)

if you got a Nvidia card.

G-sync + 120hz.

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I know how G-Sync works, and have seen many reviews, but all of these are comparing G-Sync to 60Hz monitors.

Has anyone seen any reviews of G-Sync vs a 120Hz (or 144Hz) monitor?

It seems to me that the benefit of G-Sync wouldn't really be as noticeable if you turn on Vsync with a 120Hz or 144Hz refresh rate...

(assuming your GPU & game settings consistently push > 60 fps)

Yeah with a 120hz monitor you wouldn't need vsync on. 

However you still have the 60ahz IPS vs 120hz TN debate, a debate where 8/10 times it would be better off getting a 60hz IPS monitor.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

if you got a Nvidia card.

G-sync + 120hz.

hypothetical:  If I'm going to buy a new monitor, and have the choice of spending more money on G-sync option, or a monitor without G-Sync, but better specs otherwise, which do you get?  

(assume already have an nvidia card that gets ~75fps in most games at given resolution native to hypothetical monitors) 

V-Sync is bad because it has input lag so I dont use it. I would chose G-Sync or nothing.

However you still have the 60ahz IPS vs 120hz TN debate, a debate where 8/10 times it would be better off getting a 60hz IPS monitor.

without vsync turned on, wouldn't tearing still occur at 120Hz ?

(tearing is extremely distracting to me)

IPS is better for colors and viewing angles, but TN still better for gaming isn't it?  

(motion blur, etc)

G-Sync stands for Gangster syncing (I wish)  :P V-Sync is bad like no gifts on Christmas bad! G-Sync is life!  :wub:

I would go with 144Hz  B)

IPS is better for colors and viewing angles, but TN still better for gaming isn't it?  

(motion blur, etc)

I doubt tearing would occur at 120hz, but you'll have to ask someone else I'm not sure.

but as for IPS and TN, TN is better for gaming, technically. however the only people where it is worth getting a 120hz is pro fps players. For everyone else, its not gonna make you a better gamer and the nicer colours in games is worth more than extra frames. 

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I have a 60hz Display, i am trying so hard to wait for a 1080p Gsync monitor but none of these are available at a reasonable price 400-500 US$, the Asus vg248qe price and BenQ xl2420z features are making me loose my shit here.... 

I doubt tearing would occur at 120hz, but you'll have to ask someone else I'm not sure.

but as for IPS and TN, TN is better for gaming, technically. however the only people where it is worth getting a 120hz is pro fps players. For everyone else, its not gonna make you a better gamer and the nicer colours in games is worth more than extra frames. 

120Hz is also required for Stereo 3D, such as nVidia 3D Vision.  This way you get 60Hz-per-eye.   I have first-gen 3D vision on a Mitsubishi DLP, and racing games like Burnout Paradise and 3rd person action like Arkham City/Asylum look great in Stereo-3D.

120Hz is also required for Stereo 3D, such as nVidia 3D Vision.  This way you get 60Hz-per-eye.   I have first-gen 3D vision on a Mitsubishi DLP, and racing games like Burnout Paradise and 3rd person action like Arkham City/Asylum look great in Stereo-3D.

Yeah, buts thats very rare, barely anyone plays games in 3D

Yes, you still get tearing at 120Hz without vsync

G-sync was designed to benefit low frame rates lower than 60fps to make them seem a bit more smooth.

G Sync -> No V Sync -> Adaptive V Sync -> V Sync

I have a AOC 144 hz Gsync monitor honestly I don't see much difference between Gsync and no Gsync but I have only played games where I have consistent fps I imagine in games like bf4 I'll notice a big difference

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

I have a AOC 144 hz Gsync monitor honestly I don't see much difference between Gsync and no Gsync but I have only played games where I have consistent fps I imagine in games like bf4 I'll notice a big difference

How is the monitor, are colors accurate and is it easy to game for long periods of time without getting sight tired?

How is the monitor, are colors accurate and is it easy to game for long periods of time without getting sight tired?

Tbh at default settings it had low contrast and was really bright my dark gray to black background looked almost silver, but with tweaking it now is acceptable still needs tweaking some but I always get confused with which button does what when changing monitor settings for me and I have gamed on it for hours with no problems.

I will say that the on screen crosshairs are awful they are very rough and look like they are 8 bit so they are useless didn't really plan on using them anyway so it wasnt a big deal.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Tbh at default settings it had low contrast and was really bright my dark gray to black background looked almost silver, but with tweaking it now is acceptable still needs tweaking some but I always get confused with which button does what when changing monitor settings for me and I have gamed on it for hours with no problems.

I will say that the on screen crosshairs are awful they are very rough and look like they are 8 bit so they are useless didn't really plan on using them anyway so it wasnt a big deal.

what are these screen cross-hairs you are referring to?  

Yo how the HELL did you get Burnout Paradise to function in 3D well? The game locks itself to 25fps the second I turn on 3D for it, like what Mass Effect 1 did before I took off the smooth frame option in the config files... but I don't see any smooth frame options to disable in Burnout Paradise.

Yes, you still get tearing at 120Hz without vsync

This must be very rare; I've never seen this on any game at 120Hz... but if I set my monitor to 60Hz and play, I get it quite a bit in some games.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

what are these screen cross-hairs you are referring to?  

You can put a crosshair on your screen if you hit a button

Yo how the HELL did you get Burnout Paradise to function in 3D well? The game locks itself to 25fps the second I turn on 3D for it, like what Mass Effect 1 did before I took off the smooth frame option in the config files... but I don't see any smooth frame options to disable in Burnout Paradise.

Not sure if the version makes a difference, but I have Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, from Steam.  

Also, my setup is nVidia 3D Vision 1.0, output to Mitsubishi DLP rear projection TV, DVI->HDMI (port 2, labeled as PC), with the 3Dvision emitter "pyramid" getting its sync signal from the TV through a separate cable (it still needs USB for power and driver loading, and to change the green light, etc).  Mitsubishi stereo 3D mode is known as "checkerboard", which pre-dates the HDMI 1.4 3D modes.  The signal is 1080p60, but the actual number of pixels is 960x1080 like side-by-side, but in a checker board (or chess board) pattern.  It's quite smooth and very little cross-talk.  It's a shame Mitsubishi stopped selling those TVs.  I also bought the separate box to add support for HDMI 1.4 3D modes- this allows PS3 to work in 3D: 720p60 for games and 1080p24 for Blu-Ray 3D movies.  (Wipeout 2048 has excellent stereo-3D (and 7.1 audio) if you have a PS3 it's worth getting.)

As far as Burnout game config, I didn't have to do anything special. Just launch it then hit the keyboard-shortcut to toggle 3D mode.

I tried with a steering wheel controller, but didn't like it - much prefer to use wireless Xbox 360 controller on Windows.

Maybe it behaves different with 120Hz LCDs when using 3D vision?

TOTALLY WRONG

if your rig can do 120+ MINIMUM in the game you're playing, then vsync = gsync, but you'll still need vsync on to lock the gpu to 120fps to avoid stutters.

if your rig cannot do 120 minimum then Gsync is far better

and this CLEARLY isn't a 60 ips vs 120 tn.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

HOLY BALLS 

$500 for a 24inch 1080p?

WTF

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Not sure if the version makes a difference, but I have Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, from Steam.  

Also, my setup is nVidia 3D Vision 1.0, output to Mitsubishi DLP rear projection TV, DVI->HDMI (port 2, labeled as PC), with the 3Dvision emitter "pyramid" getting its sync signal from the TV through a separate cable (it still needs USB for power and driver loading, and to change the green light, etc).  Mitsubishi stereo 3D mode is known as "checkerboard", which pre-dates the HDMI 1.4 3D modes.  The signal is 1080p60, but the actual number of pixels is 960x1080 like side-by-side, but in a checker board (or chess board) pattern.  It's quite smooth and very little cross-talk.  It's a shame Mitsubishi stopped selling those TVs.  I also bought the separate box to add support for HDMI 1.4 3D modes- this allows PS3 to work in 3D: 720p60 for games and 1080p24 for Blu-Ray 3D movies.  (Wipeout 2048 has excellent stereo-3D (and 7.1 audio) if you have a PS3 it's worth getting.)

As far as Burnout game config, I didn't have to do anything special. Just launch it then hit the keyboard-shortcut to toggle 3D mode.

I tried with a steering wheel controller, but didn't like it - much prefer to use wireless Xbox 360 controller on Windows.

Maybe it behaves different with 120Hz LCDs when using 3D vision?

Blast. Yes, it behaves very differently. How do I put it...

The game has an inherent lock of 60fps. It will never go above no matter how much you try to make it do so. This is not achieved by doing vsync, but by using something called a "smooth framerate" option that is present in some engines. Mass Effect 1 has this option turned on by default; locks the game to 60fps as well.

See, what happens in 3D is that the game has to render the frames twice, right? So since the game is soft-locked to render at 60fps, it will render 30fps to each frame... but then it stutters a bit, and actually only renders 25fps to each eye. You do not play games at 25fps. So basically, this is the issue. I wish I knew how to get Burnout Paradise to run at 60fps while in 3D. Mass Effect 1 has an option in the config file where I can disable the smooth frame and I get 200fps constant (probably engine limit) even in 3D, but I can't find this for Burnout xD.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Blast. Yes, it behaves very differently. How do I put it...

The game has an inherent lock of 60fps. It will never go above no matter how much you try to make it do so. This is not achieved by doing vsync, but by using something called a "smooth framerate" option that is present in some engines. Mass Effect 1 has this option turned on by default; locks the game to 60fps as well.

See, what happens in 3D is that the game has to render the frames twice, right? So since the game is soft-locked to render at 60fps, it will render 30fps to each frame... but then it stutters a bit, and actually only renders 25fps to each eye. You do not play games at 25fps. So basically, this is the issue. I wish I knew how to get Burnout Paradise to run at 60fps while in 3D. Mass Effect 1 has an option in the config file where I can disable the smooth frame and I get 200fps constant (probably engine limit) even in 3D, but I can't find this for Burnout xD.

Yes, I see what you mean, there are several references to this on Google, and no patches that remove the cap.

Does your monitor only support DisplayPort from a PC?  Or does it also support HDMI 1.4 3D modes through an HDMI port?

If so, you could add an HDMI cable, and turn on 3DTVPlay, and choose a mode like 1080p60 3DSBS (side-by-side).  This would let the game go up to it's 60fps limit, and you'd be losing 50% of the horizontal resolution, but it might be a worthwhile tradeoff to get stereo 3D support.

If your monitor doesn't, perhaps you have an HDTV that has 3D support (and came with glasses) - you could try it on there as well.

Note that you'll still have to plug in your 3D-vision emitter, as it will unlock the 3DTVplay feature (or you could pay some $30 unlock license).  You won't be able to use your 3D-vision glasses though - just the ones that came with your TV.

Asus ROG Swift & SLI GTX 970s = Eyegasms all day.

Also I used to get fatigued / dizzy from using the PC too long. Now that no longer happens!

60 Hz was bad for my health.

Linus is my fetish.