will these need power

jameshumphries47

i am interested in buyign these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemon-Audio-Passive-Speakers-Monitors/dp/B00IK13EYK/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i i know they will need an amp but will they need power from a socket, as the description doesn't mention it? 

thanks

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

You need an amp to run them with... Not those puny headphone amps, but the bigger speaker amps... At least 500W rating...

You need an amp to run them with... Not those puny headphone amps, but the bigger speaker amps... At least 500W rating...

i wont be running them too loud but this is what i was gonna get http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemon-Audio-Passive-Speakers-Monitors/dp/B00IK13EYK/ref=sr_1_56?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413662702&sr=1-56&keywords=speakers will this be okay?

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

Get this instead if you don't have a speaker amp on hand... Same speakers, but with an amp to drive them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemon-Audio-Passive-Speakers-Amplifier/dp/B00K23020S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413716028&sr=1-1&keywords=500W+speaker+amplifier

You're only getting a set of passive speakers which need power from an amp (they don't plug directly to the wall)...

Get this instead if you don't have a speaker amp on hand... Same speakers, but with an amp to drive them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemon-Audio-Passive-Speakers-Amplifier/dp/B00K23020S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413716028&sr=1-1&keywords=500W+speaker+amplifier

You're only getting a set of passive speakers which need power from an amp (they don't plug directly to the wall)...

will this one work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Juice-JA490-500W-stereo-amplifier-/231359475263?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item35de196e3f 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

At least 500W rating...

Not true, even 15W will be fine. Like the Lepai LP2020A+.

Can't recommend those speakers, they are a huge pile of garbage. Get something like the Dayton b652

Not true, even 15W will be fine. Like the Lepai LP2020A+.

Can't recommend those speakers, they are a huge pile of garbage. Get something like the Dayton b652

i want loud music and they give loud music, 15 watts would be like sitting next to a hamster! 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

i want loud music and they give loud music, 15 watts would be like sitting next to a hamster! 

Depends on the speakers, 15 watt can be enough to cause hearing damage. 

You can't hear watts, contrary to popular belief. What you CAN hear is sound pressure, measured in decibel.

A speaker has a sensitivity, which indicates how much sound pressure it creates at 1 watt.

Most high quality speakers are around 90db, those awful speakers you linked are probably more around 80db.

That's 10db difference, which equals 10x more power needed for the same sound pressure. 

That is the difference between a 15 or 150 watt amp, or a 500 or 5000 watt amp.

Besides the horrible sound quality, the speaker can't sustain 500 w for sure without failing thermally or mechanically. 

Seriously, people need to get over their watt fetish. 

Depends on the speakers, 15 watt can be enough to cause hearing damage. 

You can't hear watts, contrary to popular belief. What you CAN hear is sound pressure, measured in decibel.

A speaker has a sensitivity, which indicates how much sound pressure it creates at 1 watt.

Most high quality speakers are around 90db, those awful speakers you linked are probably more around 80db.

That's 10db difference, which equals 10x more power needed for the same sound pressure. 

That is the difference between a 15 or 150 watt amp, or a 500 or 5000 watt amp.

Besides the horrible sound quality, the speaker can't sustain 500 w for sure without failing thermally or mechanically. 

Seriously, people need to get over their watt fetish. 

what makes you think them speakers are rubbish, have you bought them or know of anyone who has?

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

what makes you think them speakers are rubbish, have you bought them or know of anyone who has?

I can tell. They're made to impress unknowing people; piezo tweeters, no crossover, (probably) random and thus mistuned ports.

Woofer and tweeter only have one thing in common: low price (and quality). Only semi-nice thing is the enclosure, I'd buy them second hand if I needed some background music in my barn.

Do yourself a favor and get quality speakers or get nothing :)

I can tell. They're made to impress unknowing people; piezo tweeters, no crossover, (probably) random and thus mistuned ports.

Woofer and tweeter only have one thing in common: low price (and quality). Only semi-nice thing is the enclosure, I'd buy them second hand if I needed some background music in my barn.

Do yourself a favor and get quality speakers or get nothing :)

they do have crossovers check the description im looking at this combo http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemon-Audio-Speakers-White-Amplifier/dp/B00JR1RQH8/ref=sr_1_71?ie=UTF8&qid=1413747484&sr=8-71&keywords=lemon+audio

im not to bothered if the sound is off im used to inbuilt speakers on a laptop anything better than that! when i read my post back it read quite angrily and i didnt mean that i ment it as a question!

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

they do have crossovers check the description im looking at this combo http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemon-Audio-Speakers-White-Amplifier/dp/B00JR1RQH8/ref=sr_1_71?ie=UTF8&qid=1413747484&sr=8-71&keywords=lemon+audio

im not to bothered if the sound is off im used to inbuilt speakers on a laptop anything better than that! when i read my post back it read quite angrily and i didnt mean that i ment it as a question!

I highly doubt it, but even then...... Why would you settle for anything less than is possible at your price point?

My advice would be Dayton B652's with a Lepai LP2020A+. If you want higher SPL, take some floorstanders and a bigger amp.

I highly doubt it, but even then...... Why would you settle for anything less than is possible at your price point?

My advice would be Dayton B652's with a Lepai LP2020A+. If you want higher SPL, take some floorstanders and a bigger amp.

thank you for your help

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

15 watts would be like sitting next to a hamster! 

Are you sure about that? Do you even really know what you're talking about?

Here, I'll give you a general idea:

bmb_zps9903727e.jpg

This is a 10" BMB speakers commonly used in convention hall, seminars, churches, etc.

Now let's look at the datasheet:

max_zps9e5b021d.jpg

Whoaaaa, max power at 1200W, pretty impressive, right? Now look at the sensitivity, 97 dB/W/m, meaning if you're standing 1m in front of it, it will produce 97dB SPL when you give it 1 Watt power. Oh, and it's an 8 ohms speaker, by the way.

Now let's put the number into a headphone power calculator (headphone is the same as speaker, meaning it follows the same physic rule as speakers)

15w_zps82d9b7ff.jpg

With 15W of power (actually it's 14125mW = 14,125W), you'd get 138.5dB. How loud is that anyway?

hearing_june07_chart.jpg

Closest number on the chart is 140dB, which is approximately the equivalent of a rifle shot. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but a rifle shot is nowhere near 'sitting next to a hamster'

Now, you wanted to go 500W, right? What can 500W give you?

500w_zpse722ec3d.jpg

501W will give you 154dB. Again, look at the decibel chart, 150dB = instantaneous damage of your ears. Your eardrums will literally pop from continuous exposure (in a few seconds) of that kind of loudness.

Yes, like Lutkeveld said above, those Lemon speakers are most likely not as sensitive as 97dB/W/m, but I think you already get the general idea...

bmb_zps9903727e.jpg

This is a 10" BMB speakers commonly used in convention hall, seminars, churches, etc.

max_zps9e5b021d.jpg

Whoaaaa, max power at 1200W, pretty impressive, right? Now look at the sensitivity, 97 dB/W/m, meaning if you're standing 1m in front of it, it will produce 97dB SPL when you give it 1 Watt power. Oh, and it's an 8 ohms speaker, by the way.

Now let's put the number into a headphone power calculator (headphone is the same as speaker, meaning it follows the same physic rule as speakers)

15w_zps82d9b7ff.jpg

With 15W of power (actually it's 14125mW = 14,125W), you'd get 138.5dB. How loud is that anyway?

hearing_june07_chart.jpg

Closest number on the chart is 140dB, which is approximately the equivalent of a rifle shot. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but a rifle shot is nowhere near 'sitting next to a hamster'

Now, you wanted to go 500W, right? What can 500W give you?

500w_zpse722ec3d.jpg

501W will give you 154dB. Again, look at the decibel chart, 150dB = instantaneous damage of your ears. Your eardrums will literally pop from continuous exposure (in a few seconds) of that kind of loudness.

Yes, like Lutkeveld said above, those Lemon speakers are most likely not as sensitive as 97dB/W/m, but I think you already get the general idea...

yeah i understand, but i wanna get a decent amp in-case i decide i want to get more/ better speakers. or if we have a party in the field its loud! but that post has made me think, thank you? so what do you suggest? a cheap amp for £10 or a £60 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytec-SPL-400-White-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00JR1S2GM/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1413749180&sr=1-4&keywords=spl+400  i have changed my soundcard to a xonar :P 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

bmb_zps9903727e.jpg

max_zps9e5b021d.jpg

15w_zps82d9b7ff.jpg

The headphone power calculator is basing off sensitivity with a 1mW input and not a 1W input (as the speaker is rated).

15W is ~11.8dB of Gain, so he'd get ~108.8dB peak SPL at 1m. Every doubling of distance will reduce the SPL by 6dB, so if he is listening from a position 4m away it'd be down to ~96.8dB peak SPL. This is just based off the quoted specs (not counting how it was measured and any room interaction).

Well then... these speakers go loud without regard for sound quality. I strongly suggest trying a different set, maybe Audioengine A5+ or Krk Rokit 6 G2 used (these are easily found used). It's not hard to drive a speaker loud enough to permanently damage your hearing. You're not doing a concert with a million people, you're using them for your house, so plan your speaker choice accordingly.

You original idea might look cheap until you realize you have to invest in amping gear. You're paying through the nose for loud sound via extra amp on top of sacrificing sound quality.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Well then... these speakers go loud without regard for sound quality. I strongly suggest trying a different set, maybe Audioengine A5+ or Krk Rokit 6 G2 used (these are easily found used). It's not hard to drive a speaker loud enough to permanently damage your hearing. You're not doing a concert with a million people, you're using them for your house, so plan your speaker choice accordingly.

You original idea might look cheap until you realize you have to invest in amping gear. You're paying through the nose for loud sound via extra amp on top of sacrificing sound quality.

i have a good 3 months to consider audio options before i commit, but like i said im using crappy inbuilt laptop speakers so anything improvement! the reason i have decided on these speakers are they are a cheap set so if i decide i fancy a better set in 2 months time i can go out and buy them, but if they are fine there is nothing wrong with them i will keep them. i have nothing wrong with people spending 100's on speakers because i have in the past! but i fancy something different! teh reason i have chose a set of sub £50 speakers is i have a £50 gift voucher on amazon :P 

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}