Hardcore PC Gamer, And i want a Mac Mini?

MahtXL

So after a few years of swearing off Apple products after not enjoying the touch 4th gen. I jumped back in last week and got a touch 5th gen. overall IOS8 has gotten me interested in other Apple products. since i already have an "ios device" logically the next product to look at would be a mac. But i refuse to spend more than i payed for this PC on a mac, so thats where wanting a Mac Mini has stemmed from.

For the roughly 500 dollars it would cost, would it be worth getting?

Of course i dont expect it or need it to game, i have plenty of other devices for that. I really just want it, because of how much ive enjoyed using IOS8 and this new touch. And with my recent lack of interest in gaming. If i enjoy it enough it might even replace my PC, which would give me extra cash in the pocket (from selling the PC)

Really on the fence with this one. Since all ive done for the past few months on my PC is watch videos at most, i dont know if i can justify a 500 dollar mac purchase. But on the other hand, since all ive been doing lately is watch videos at most, maybe a cheap little mac is best for me at this point in my life, with my complete and utter boredom with gaming these days that is.

What is your Mac experience like?

Of the whole mac livestream this past week, I was more excited about the Mac mini than anything else. I'm a geek, so i like fun things. The mac mini is a very small, sexy looking computer. I could see it right next to my TV, if I didn't already have several similar items.

In the long run, you could build a windows-based box with similar performance is a similarly-sized box. If you are getting a mac, think about if you want to invest in the apple ecosystem. If you already have windows everything - just stick with windows. 

I'd almost reccomend a sexy ultrabook or tablet running windows if you are starting to get away from gaming.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Sure is there a specific link to the apple site where one could take a browse?

You can take a look here - http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

However, they don't have any mac minis on here at the current moment in time.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Buy it and try it out for a week or so. If you don't like it, just return it to the store and get your money back. Mac OS is either a hit or a miss, I have a Macbook that I bought for school that I rarely ever use when my PC is available.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

If buying a mac I would recommend a "Hackintosh" build. It is very easy are there are thousands of online tutorials if you are not comfortable with the software. If you are dead set on buying a Mac then I would recommend the MacBook Pro line-up. I am running the mid 2014 Macbook Pro Retina. I find it copes with all tasks I though at it apart from gaming. It is just as powerful as the Mac mini and has the extra feature of also being portable. Hope this helps. Although Apple did just announced the new Mac mini so... ignore everything I just wrote...

IMO mac minis are great machines

Possibly looking to get one soon myself too, purely to use as a photo and video editing rig (unless I get a mac pro)

They are lovely machines and should last you a long time, if you get the one with iris you could easily play some games on it, or use it for steam in home streaming from your full fat rig (existing or future)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Mac Mini really is a good machine for what it is made for.   If you want it then you should get it.   Will it be a gaming machine?  No.  But it is great for a HTPC, general computing, editing, etc.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Try using VirtualBox before using OSX. I use OSX all the time but even swapping back and forth from W7/8.1/10 and going back to Mavericks is bizarro for a bit.

Haven't used Yosemite to maybe the OS is different but for now, I say go VM.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

mac minis are great as long as you dont expect too much from them. you are not going to be gaming on it (obvously) but they are deigned fairly well and are fast enough to do pretty much anything within reason. My mom had a 2006 mac mini and the thing is still chugging along to this day.

bang for buck isn't that great, but if you want a low-end mac with full OS X support then go for it. :)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I'm thinking about getting one with the iris pro graphics. Just waiting on someone to get one and test league on it. 

works  like a charm on Mac Air (1.7GHz i7, Iris Pro). Runs most older games just fine, depending on the resolution you want

Mac mini looks great and I can see myself buying something like that at some point in the future when I dont have much time for building something like that myself

works  like a charm on Mac Air (1.7GHz i7, Iris Pro). Runs most older games just fine, depending on the resolution you want

Mac mini looks great and I can see myself buying something like that at some point in the future when I dont have much time for building something like that myself

On what settings and what are the FPS? If I can get it to run 1080p @ 60fps on high or ultra that would be perfect. 

So after a few years of swearing off Apple products after not enjoying the touch 4th gen. I jumped back in last week and got a touch 5th gen. overall IOS8 has gotten me interested in other Apple products. since i already have an "ios device" logically the next product to look at would be a mac. But i refuse to spend more than i payed for this PC on a mac, so thats where wanting a Mac Mini has stemmed from.

Of course i dont expect it or need it to game, i have plenty of other devices for that. I really just want it, because of how much ive enjoyed using IOS8 and this new touch. And with my recent lack of interest in gaming. If i enjoy it enough it might even replace my PC, which would give me extra cash in the pocket (from selling the PC)

Really on the fence with this one. Since all ive done for the past few months on my PC is watch videos at most, i dont know if i can justify a 500 dollar mac purchase. But on the other hand, since all ive been doing lately is watch videos at most, maybe a cheap little mac is best for me at this point in my life, with my complete and utter boredom with gaming these days that is.

My mac experience has unfortunately been limited to a 2009 27-inch model with a 1st-gen i5 with 12GB of mismatched, slow, non-validated 1066 DDR3. It cost my parents nearly $2k, and it has been an absolute menace to deal with. They could still sell it and I could build them literally more kickass a machine than they could imagine, but they won't do that because

Macs are more user-friendly. That is literally the only reason to justify buying a Mac, is the fact that literally any five-year-old can use it (these days at least. I remember getting around on Windows 2000 as a five-year old just fine.)

The idea that people buy macs because they look good is a valid argument, but the idea that they look better is a whole other, and completely false story. I mean, look at this:

post-77647-0-81528400-1413878934_thumb.j

Look me in the face and tell me that does not look awesome.

For anyone who is just an average joe with no interest in gaming and just wants a nice, easy-to-use system, I can wholeheartedly recommend buying a Mac/Mac Mini.

For someone who already has a powerful gaming PC at his/her disposal, I would say save your money for something else. You already have the computer, use that. If it's a matter of how much power your computer is drawing, your power bill is not dependent on the max wattage of your power supply. It'll drain just as little power as the mac when not doing anything intensive. A change in UI is not worth $500 imho.

On what settings and what are the FPS? If I can get it to run 1080p @ 60fps on high or ultra that would be perfect.

ha..haha... No, you can't run games like that on a mac mini. But you don't buy a mac mini to just game on it

Tons of good games coming out early/mid 2015 and you are giving up on gaming NOW?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Tons of good games coming out early/mid 2015 and you are giving up on gaming NOW?

Where did he say he was giving up gaming.  It is possible to own more than one computer.

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Where did he say he was giving up gaming.  It is possible to own more than one computer.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...