Hardcore PC Gamer, And i want a Mac Mini?

MahtXL

So after a few years of swearing off Apple products after not enjoying the touch 4th gen. I jumped back in last week and got a touch 5th gen. overall IOS8 has gotten me interested in other Apple products. since i already have an "ios device" logically the next product to look at would be a mac. But i refuse to spend more than i payed for this PC on a mac, so thats where wanting a Mac Mini has stemmed from.

For the roughly 500 dollars it would cost, would it be worth getting?

Of course i dont expect it or need it to game, i have plenty of other devices for that. I really just want it, because of how much ive enjoyed using IOS8 and this new touch. And with my recent lack of interest in gaming. If i enjoy it enough it might even replace my PC, which would give me extra cash in the pocket (from selling the PC)

Really on the fence with this one. Since all ive done for the past few months on my PC is watch videos at most, i dont know if i can justify a 500 dollar mac purchase. But on the other hand, since all ive been doing lately is watch videos at most, maybe a cheap little mac is best for me at this point in my life, with my complete and utter boredom with gaming these days that is.

What is your Mac experience like?

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

We you can built a system that can run OS X like mine. You could build a small lightweight system to run OS X but as with all Hackintoshes there are small problems like iMessage doesn't work ATM with Yosemite and Handoff only works if you buy a custom Wifi + BT card that supports it. So if you want the best experience I would recommend a Mac Mini although they are expensive for what you get.

\

At the moment, i dont think its worth $500 unless you have some extra spending cash. 

If I were you I would get a older 2010 or so mini and see if you really want a mac. If you do either buy a new mini or hackintosh like nicolas said

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

For a home server, the Mac Mini is fine.

For a basic web and email computer, the Mac Mini is fine.

For gaming the Mac Mini is a piece of junk. Sorry. It lacks a dedicated graphics card of any kind, not even Iris on the low end model. Not too good for the price if you want to game.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

At the moment, i dont think its worth $500 unless you have some extra spending cash.

If I were you I would get a older 2010 or so mini and see if you really want a mac. If you do either buy a new mini or hackintosh like nicolas said

They could also try out OS X in a VM but it would have to be on Mavericks and not Yosemite.

For gaming the Mac Mini is a piece of junk. Sorry. It lacks a dedicated graphics card of any kind, not even Iris on the low end model. Not too good for the price if you want to game.

What's your point, we know the mac mini is not for gaming. State the obvious.

\

hmm im not sure, my personal opinion is that for apple products the imac is as low as id go especially with the new 5k one which is godly. Also my highschool(2 years ago now) had a mac mini fire, it had a first gen i3 in it, i was in the room when it happened, not sure why it caught fire or what it used as fuel but hopefully fires arent a common thing for mac minis.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

hmm im not sure, my personal opinion is that for apple products the imac is as low as id go especially with the new 5k one which is godly. Also my highschool(2 years ago now) had a mac mini fire, it had a first gen i3 in it, i was in the room when it happened, not sure why it caught fire or what it used as fuel but hopefully fires arent a common thing for mac minis.

First I have heard of a fire caused by a Mac Mini :/ I'm sure it it was a design flaw they would have fixed the issue.

\

I specifically said i had no interest in gaming on it. Compared to this PC its equivalent to the original gameboy in terms of power if stacked side by side with my current RIG.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

First I have heard of a fire caused by a Mac Mini :/ I'm sure it it was a design flaw they would have fixed the issue.

my guess is that it must of been the fan, the other minis were underclocked a lot so they didnt produce much heat, the mini did have good ventilation, i confuses me a as well. Their quality is normally high so its good that this isnt a common occurrence 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It's not bad, especially if you get one running iris pro graphics, but I'd get an older one first, and see whether you like them or not. I've got one of the first gen mac minis, and although we got it at the same time as our other iMac, it won't upgrade to mountain lion, let alone mavericks or Yosemite, unlike the iMac which can.

If you get an old one and like it, then I don't see anything wrong in getting a new one, as I personally thing they're really good for getting into the apple ecosystem.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

my guess is that it must of been the fan, the other minis were underclocked a lot so they didnt produce much heat, the mini did have good ventilation, i confuses me a as well. Their quality is normally high so its good that this isnt a common occurrence 

Yup, even I am thinking of investing into a Mac Mini with Iris.

\

older model might work for what im looking for. Just need a nice easy not to big device to drag around the house and hook up. Just needs to hold videos, be able to surf the modern web. And of course id probly mess about with the work features as well. But i really do hate buying used devices. Especially used Apple devices. Bad experience in that department (used apple devices)

Yup, even I am thinking of investing into a Mac Mini with Iris.

Yeah it seems decent enough, its not my cup of tea because im not the biggest fan of the osx ui. My preference may change with time who knows.

Listen if you care.

It's not bad, especially if you get one running iris pro graphics, but I'd get an older one first, and see whether you like them or not. I've got one of the first gen mac minis, and although we got it at the same time as our other iMac, it won't upgrade to mountain lion, let alone mavericks or Yosemite, unlike the iMac which can.

If you get an old one and like it, then I don't see anything wrong in getting a new one, as I personally thing they're really good for getting into the apple ecosystem.

THB and IMO I have used SL, Lion, ML, Mavericks, and now on Yosemite and I find that Yosemite is very refreshing from the others and tomorrow I will be testing it out on my iMac 2009 model and see how it runs.

\

older model might work for what im looking for. Just need a nice easy not to big device to drag around the house and hook up. Just needs to hold videos, be able to surf the modern web. And of course id probly mess about with the work features as well. But i really do hate buying used devices. Especially used Apple devices. Bad experience in that department (used apple devices)

you may just want to go for a new one, seeing just about every 2010 mini and up on ebay is basically asking retail price xD

THB and IMO I have used SL, Lion, ML, Mavericks, and now on Yosemite and I find that Yosemite is very refreshing from the others and tomorrow I will be testing it out on my iMac 2009 model and see how it runs.

I've only looked at screens and some videos and so far im likeing it more than mavericks, i plan on hackintoshing it in a few months

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Yeah, we've gone from the back end of tiger, through leopard, SL, lion, ML, mavericks and now the iMac won't get on to Yosemite, but the MacBook my dad picked up recently will, so me and my dad are going to spend the day ogling it and seeing what we can do with it. It looks a lot better than the older generations, at least in design, so I can't wait to set up a hackintosh.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Might be forced to go new. Buying used computers is so iffy, like for example what if theres some trace of something illegal left on that computer, would that not put you in the line of fire for said material. Like yikes 0_0

Might be forced to go new. Buying used computers is so iffy, like for example what if theres some trace of something illegal left on that computer, would that not put you in the line of fire for said material. Like yikes 0_0

I would look into a new Mac Mini since they aren't to badly priced.

\

So after a few years of swearing off Apple products after not enjoying the touch 4th gen. I jumped back in last week and got a touch 5th gen. overall IOS8 has gotten me interested in other Apple products. since i already have an "ios device" logically the next product to look at would be a mac. But i refuse to spend more than i payed for this PC on a mac, so thats where wanting a Mac Mini has stemmed from.

For the roughly 500 dollars it would cost, would it be worth getting?

Of course i dont expect it or need it to game, i have plenty of other devices for that. I really just want it, because of how much ive enjoyed using IOS8 and this new touch. And with my recent lack of interest in gaming. If i enjoy it enough it might even replace my PC, which would give me extra cash in the pocket (from selling the PC)

Really on the fence with this one. Since all ive done for the past few months on my PC is watch videos at most, i dont know if i can justify a 500 dollar mac purchase. But on the other hand, since all ive been doing lately is watch videos at most, maybe a cheap little mac is best for me at this point in my life, with my complete and utter boredom with gaming these days that is.

What is your Mac experience like?

For me ios 8 is the worst but anyways: Its price/performance is quite bad, its not worth it spec to spec whise since you can get a lot better pc built and put osx on it. A mac pro is pretty much cheaper than a windows pc with the same specs however a 500€ mac mini has a dual core 1.4GHz i5 with 4gb of ram... My hp 200€ laptop outperforms it since it has 1.7ghz dual core^^

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I specifically said i had no interest in gaming on it. Compared to this PC its equivalent to the original gameboy in terms of power if stacked side by side with my current RIG.

Right. Terribly sorry, misread the title. Would you at all be interested in an apple refurbished model? They can be a fair bit cheaper and are almost brand new (not the original packaging, but new cables, manual etc.)

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I'm thinking about getting one with the iris pro graphics. Just waiting on someone to get one and test league on it. 

Right. Terribly sorry, misread the title. Would you at all be interested in an apple refurbished model? They can be a fair bit cheaper and are almost brand new (not the original packaging, but new cables, manual etc.)

Sure is there a specific link to the apple site where one could take a browse?

For me, I wouldn't. If you want to experience Yosemite, just dual boot or use a virtual box. Only buy it if you have money to throw about and you really want it...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

If you can live with intels integrated graphics, go for it.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz