Looking for something unique, I want to make new keycaps for my mechanical keyboard

So I want to partially make my own key my own keycaps. I have a CNC router that I will use to carve the face of the key out of metal or wood, but I need a way to connect that to the stem of the switch. So I was wondering if there was a company that sells a keycap that connects to the stem of a Cherry MX keyboard while having a chiclet style face so I can glue the face I made to it, or something along those lines. I just want something as minimal as possible, so I see no plastic (which is why I can't just use existing keys for this). 

I have crawled all over the internet looking for this and cannot find it. Am I just not looking in the right place, is there somewhere I could get them custom 3D printed for cheap? Any suggestions?

I have a Corsair k70 red if that makes a difference. If I left out anything or if anything is confusing, please let me know, and thanks for the help. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

I know you can get them custom printed somewhere. Can't remember the name of the company right now. Hold on let me find it. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

i dont think so,

just get standard cherry keycaps and use an epoxy to make them flat

I know you can get them custom printed somewhere. Can't remember the name of the company right now. Hold on let me find it. 

WASD??

WASD??

They don't make 3D ones. Only flat printed ones.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

They don't make 3D ones. Only flat printed ones.

I know that I can get them custom printed, and its not so much that I want to just replace the keycaps, I want to make them (as much as I can). Its more of a project to kill time during the winter months than it is to fine a cool new look for my keyboard. 

Dood, how much did you get that milling machine for?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

i dont think so,

just get standard cherry keycaps and use an epoxy to make them flat

Like I said, the problem is they have plastic going down the side, I need something like a chiclet keyboard where the the keycap is complete flat with no side to it. So if there is a chiclet style keycap then that will do, I couldn't find those though. I would rather not use a dremel to cut all the keycaps to how I want them. 

Like I said, the problem is they have plastic going down the side, I need something like a chiclet keyboard where the the keycap is complete flat with no side to it. So if there is a chiclet style keycap then that will do, I couldn't find those though. I would rather not use a dremel to cut all the keycaps to how I want them. 

i dont think you will get chicklet on a cherry switch,

Dood, how much did you get that milling machine for?

Its a fairly cheap on as far as they run, when all said and done I walked out of the shop $4500 poorer. Now I am saving up for the $1500 software upgrade so I can start doing 3D stuff...

i dont think you will get chicklet on a cherry switch,

I agree, I was just hoping that maybe someone would know of that one random site that has them, or somewhere that I can can get them 3D printed for cheap. 

I agree, I was just hoping that maybe someone would know of that one random site that has them, or somewhere that I can can get them 3D printed for cheap. 

cheap 3d printing / durable and precise enough for key caps. probably not gonna happen.

Its a fairly cheap on as far as they run, when all said and done I walked out of the shop $4500 poorer. Now I am saving up for the $1500 software upgrade so I can start doing 3D stuff...

How big is it? And how complex are these 3D stuff you're planning to make?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

cheap 3d printing / durable and precise enough for key caps. probably not gonna happen.

Well cheap is relative. What I mean is cheap enough to be viable yet worth while. 

How big is it? And how complex are these 3D stuff you're planning to make?

I think it can hand 18 by 28 ish, I don't remember of the top of my head. And nothing too complicated, some textured plaques and maybe if I get good grips for a friends pistol. 

I think it can hand 18 by 28 ish, I don't remember of the top of my head. And nothing too complicated, some textured plaques and maybe if I get good grips for a friends pistol. 

Yeah, don't get a 3D printer if you're only going to be doing that kind of stuff, a milling machine can easily do that. You'll know it's time to get a 3D printer when you find it too hard to do on your machine.

one thing i have seen people do is cut the stems out of key caps by using a small brass tube heated up to quickly cut the stems off the other option would be to machine then if you have a cnc router that is accurate that is.

sku100421-(6).jpg

one thing i have seen people do is cut the stems out of key caps by using a small brass tube heated up to quickly cut the stems off the other option would be to machine then if you have a cnc router that is accurate that is.

sku100421-(6).jpg

Sounds like a good plan, the drill press trick might actually work. Thanks for the help!