Looking for advice on switches/interfaces

Nauticle

Im looking for a switch that has multiple inputs and outputs as well as volume control that will work with my current headphones ATH-M50s and my planned upgrade to ATH-AD900x. I started looking at switches and while I found a few nice ones none of them have all the features I wanted. Later I was recommended to look towards maybe purchasing a audio interface or a AVR however all the models I looked at always had high output impedance (more than 1/8) on the headphone jack and while I understand that impedance isnt the only factor it was the easiest way to quickly search through them. 

My setup now is as follows which requires me to manually unplug and plug my headphones into which ever source Im using. I have tried using a 3.5mm cable to go from my monitor to my line in port but I got quite a bit of static but I didn't have another cable to test it with so that may be on option. 
SupremeFX X-Fi discrete audio card (Maximus III formula mobo) ->ATH-M50s
WiiU ->LG Flatron W2453V -> ATH-M50s

My plans for the future are upgrading to ATH-AD900x and possibly a new monitor as well as buying a small decent quality speaker system (2.0 or 2.1 any recommendations?). 

Budget wise Im aiming towards ~$150CAD maximum but I am willing to go a bit higher if necessary. 

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

You say multiple inputs and outputs, but don't go into detail on which ones you want.

So.... what do you want?  ^_^

Well ideally just enough to connect all my current gear and any future items I purchase. One headphone out jack, 2-3 3.5mm or RCA inputs and whatever a decent pair of 2.0/2.1 speakers would require for output. My soundcard also has a SPDIF header and a Coax/Optical SPDIF out so I could use those. I think that would all I need for quite sometime. Hopefully this clears up the confusion :P

If you want all that done in one device, you're definitely looking at an AVR. 

I normally advise using your PC as the hub, and getting some peripheral devices, but then you'd have to fix that static noise. Why're you using the monitor's output? They're almost always shoddy.

My WiiU is connected to my monitor and so to get sound I use the headphone out on it. 

Well as I'm clearly someone who prefers a different kind of setup I'll chime in to give you an extra option. I'll explain my setup and gear and how I can make it adapt to anything I want to add.

I run a Fireface 800 interface connected to my PC via Firewire. It has 2 optical ins, 2 optical outs, digital RCA IO and a 8 analog ins and outs. I currently have my Xbone, Wiiu plugged in via optical (Wiiu works via the xbone thru), phone, MP3 Player and tablet all plugged into the analog ins. (as well as some other gear I use to make music). I use the included software to store the preset on the Fireface 800, close it and now I can listen to all my devices at once and control the volume of it via the software if I want. I use the 2 of the analog outs to go to my speaker controller which has a pretty nice headphone amp built in and I plug my active speakers into that controller. The controller is called a Presonus Monitor Station v2 if you want to look it up.

I wouldn't use an AVR since I don't like being limited to listening to one device at a time. I already had this gear for my band so I saw no reason to go and buy anything else but you can get going with a great setup for stuff like this relatively cheaply.

For example, if you were to get a Focusrite Saffire 18i8, you could plug all your devices into it (you'd want a HDMI Optical extractor for the best results on your WiiU) and control it all from your computer. Most Audio Interfaces can power most high quality headphones very well (it's way too easy to get tied up in numbers when your ears can tell you way more than a spec sheet). Finally - Most of the interfaces I've toyed with let you upload the presets to the device, meaning you don't need to keep your PC turned on for the device to do what you want.

My setup probably isn't perfect and I didn't go into near as much detail as I could, but I love it and the only way you'd get me using something else is if I had a digital mixer with all the IO I wanted.

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

If you want all that done in one device, you're definitely looking at an AVR. 

I normally advise using your PC as the hub, and getting some peripheral devices, but then you'd have to fix that static noise. Why're you using the monitor's output? They're almost always shoddy.

If I decided to go with an AVR what brands should I be looking at?

Well as I'm clearly someone who prefers a different kind of setup I'll chime in to give you an extra option. I'll explain my setup and gear and how I can make it adapt to anything I want to add.

I run a Fireface 800 interface connected to my PC via Firewire. It has 2 optical ins, 2 optical outs, digital RCA IO and a 8 analog ins and outs. I currently have my Xbone, Wiiu plugged in via optical (Wiiu works via the xbone thru), phone, MP3 Player and tablet all plugged into the analog ins. (as well as some other gear I use to make music). I use the included software to store the preset on the Fireface 800, close it and now I can listen to all my devices at once and control the volume of it via the software if I want. I use the 2 of the analog outs to go to my speaker controller which has a pretty nice headphone amp built in and I plug my active speakers into that controller. The controller is called a Presonus Monitor Station v2 if you want to look it up.

I wouldn't use an AVR since I don't like being limited to listening to one device at a time. I already had this gear for my band so I saw no reason to go and buy anything else but you can get going with a great setup for stuff like this relatively cheaply.

For example, if you were to get a Focusrite Saffire 18i8, you could plug all your devices into it (you'd want a HDMI Optical extractor for the best results on your WiiU) and control it all from your computer. Most Audio Interfaces can power most high quality headphones very well (it's way too easy to get tied up in numbers when your ears can tell you way more than a spec sheet). Finally - Most of the interfaces I've toyed with let you upload the presets to the device, meaning you don't need to keep your PC turned on for the device to do what you want.

My setup probably isn't perfect and I didn't go into near as much detail as I could, but I love it and the only way you'd get me using something else is if I had a digital mixer with all the IO I wanted.

Thanks for your input unfortunately a lot of the gear you mentioned is quite above my price range even if I went with more basic models or used models. 

If I decided to go with an AVR what brands should I be looking at?

I'm no expert, but the classics like Denon, Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha, and Pioneer shouldn't let you down. If the headphone port's output impedance turns out to be a problem, you can always add a dedicated headphone amp later.

I'm no expert, but the classics like Denon, Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha, and Pioneer shouldn't let you down. If the headphone port's output impedance turns out to be a problem, you can always add a dedicated headphone amp later.

So I looked around last night and found quite a few entry level AVRs that could work but unfortunately Ill have to wait for a sale before purchasing one. Its either that or I wait for a sale on a Scarlett and purchase one of those instead. As for amps would a Fiio E06 work well if I needed to get one? If I wanted to get a pair of 2.0 speakers do you any recommendations to what I should get? Lastly you said that you advise using a pc for the hub, what exactly would that entail setup wise? 

As for amps would a Fiio E06 work well if I needed to get one?

Yep, it has a pretty low output impedance.

If I wanted to get a pair of 2.0 speakers do you any recommendations to what I should get?

Micca MB42 are good cheap bookshelves.

Lastly you said that you advise using a pc for the hub, what exactly would that entail setup wise? 

That was for the multi-peripheral route, not the AVR route. ;)

Yep, it has a pretty low output impedance.

Micca MB42 are good cheap bookshelves.

That was for the multi-peripheral route, not the AVR route. ;)

Unfortunately the Micca can't be bought/shipped into Canada unless I use alternative methods so what would be a runner up? Sorry if I wasn't clear on the last question, what I meant was what would that route look like if I decided not to go with an AVR or interface. 

Unfortunately the Micca can't be bought/shipped into Canada unless I use alternative methods so what would be a runner up? 

Oh, I don't know. The Micca's a reveled about on reddit because they're pretty cheap mostly. Anything that fits in your budget is probably what you'll be looking at, if you catch my drift. Used items are usually good too - almost anything on eBay or at a Garage sale is half decent.

Oh hey, these are at a good price: http://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-108250-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B005E2YFT6/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the last question, what I meant was what would that route look like if I decided not to go with an AVR or interface. 

I see. That'd be getting a DAC and amp (or combo), and a separate speaker amp for the speakers. Since you want to listen to your Wii, that'd mean getting a device that strips the audio out of the HDMI signal, which aren't quite as cheap as you want them to be, or just sucking it up and using the shoddy monitor output.

http://www.amazon.ca/AGPtek%C2%AE-SPDIF-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00EOMG20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413851668&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+audio

http://www.amazon.ca/Syba-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-SD-DAC63057/dp/B009WN7QT4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413851737&sr=8-2&keywords=syba+dac

http://www.amazon.ca/Tripath-TA2020-Class-T-Amplifier-Supply/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413851725&sr=8-1&keywords=lepai+amp

Syba DAC is great, but not pretty, and highly overpriced in Canada. Lepai amp is adequate for most home use, imo. Never seen one of those hdmi -> hdmi + audio adapters in person before, but that's the cheapest one on Amazon.ca after a quick inspection.

Alternatively, you could substitute a Topping unit for the Syba and Lepai, but that's likely to have the same issues as a receiver's headphone port (if there are any issues): http://www.amazon.ca/Topping-TP30-Performance-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B005D7SKWK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1413851959&sr=8-10&keywords=headphone+amp

I see. That'd be getting a DAC and amp (or combo), and a separate speaker amp for the speakers. Since you want to listen to your Wii, that'd mean getting a device that strips the audio out of the HDMI signal, which aren't quite as cheap as you want them to be, or just sucking it up and using the shoddy monitor output.

http://www.amazon.ca/AGPtek%C2%AE-SPDIF-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00EOMG20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413851668&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+audio

http://www.amazon.ca/Syba-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-SD-DAC63057/dp/B009WN7QT4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413851737&sr=8-2&keywords=syba+dac

http://www.amazon.ca/Tripath-TA2020-Class-T-Amplifier-Supply/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413851725&sr=8-1&keywords=lepai+amp

Syba DAC is great, but not pretty, and highly overpriced in Canada. Lepai amp is adequate for most home use, imo. Never seen one of those hdmi -> hdmi + audio adapters in person before, but that's the cheapest one on Amazon.ca after a quick inspection.

Alternatively, you could substitute a Topping unit for the Syba and Lepai, but that's likely to have the same issues as a receiver's headphone port (if there are any issues): http://www.amazon.ca/Topping-TP30-Performance-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B005D7SKWK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1413851959&sr=8-10&keywords=headphone+amp

If I created a setup like this WiiU ->HDMI-> Monitor ->3.5mm Out -> SupremeFX X-Fi Line In -> Headphone 3.5mm/RCA ->Topping TP30 would that eliminate the shoddiness of my monitor and get rid of the noise from when I tried this earlier (without a DAC)? 

If I created a setup like this WiiU ->HDMI-> Monitor ->3.5mm Out -> SupremeFX X-Fi Line In -> Headphone 3.5mm/RCA ->Topping TP30 would that eliminate the shoddiness of my monitor and get rid of the noise from when I tried this earlier (without a DAC)? 

No, I think the shoddiness is an inherent problem of monitor ports. At the very least, it's a ground loop issue.  :unsure:

No, I think the shoddiness is an inherent problem of monitor ports. At the very least, it's a ground loop issue.  :unsure:

Ah so is that why you recommended I get an AVR since it would bypass using the monitor for audio?

Ah so is that why you recommended I get an AVR since it would bypass using the monitor for audio?

Yes.  ^_^

Yes.  ^_^

I just wanted to say thanks a whole bunch for the help and giving me options on how I to proceed. Unfortunately it seems I still have a long ways to go before I decide on which route is the right one. To many choices along with pros and cons of each route make this decision a nightmare. 

I just wanted to say thanks a whole bunch for the help and giving me options on how I to proceed. Unfortunately it seems I still have a long ways to go before I decide on which route is the right one. To many choices along with pros and cons of each route make this decision a nightmare. 

Well let us know what you end up doing, and how it turns out for you. I'll put the blame on the WiiU - the lack of analog audio outputs on the new consoles bugs me to no end.

Well let us know what you end up doing, and how it turns out for you. I'll put the blame on the WiiU - the lack of analog audio outputs on the new consoles bugs me to no end.

Ya Ill definitely update and I totally agree with the lack of analog outputs on it. Frankly getting a audio interface is leading the charge and while it will probably cost more in the long run the smaller size is really appealing along with some of the customization you get with the software. Though Ill definitely wait for a sale especially this close to Black Friday/Cyber Monday and Christmas. 

• 3 weeks later...

So just thought I would give you an update on what my current options are. While I know an avr would be the most sensible route they would require me to get a new desk as I would have no room to place a 2nd monitor or speakers or anything else for that matter. They would also cost the same as a 6i6 (depending on sales) or close to it. I've figured out all the parts and which ones would be optional or not as well as how I would setup the gear. 

Speakers would be Micca MB42x if I can get them in Canada, Pioneer SP-BS22 LR if they go on sale for relatively cheap or the Monoprice speakers you listed. 

Audio Extractor (optional) and speaker amp would be the same ones you linked.

Headphones will be ATH-M50 (with Beyerdynamic EDT250V ear cushion replacements) and ATH-AD900x (hopefully they go on sale) along with an optional Fiio E6 amp.

Scarlett 2i4 or 6i6.

Electric guitar (already own cant remember brand) for Rocksmith with the Realtone cable. 

So they two plans I have are as follows.

post-151591-0-33195300-1415509573.png
post-151591-0-19846100-1415509594.png

Of course these can be changed but this is the idea Im going for. Now Im fairly certain both setups would be compatible with all the parts listed but I just want to make sure I wouldnt run into any problems. I would also like to know which option you think would be best or if I should make any changes. The Scarlett 2i4 is the route Im leaning towards (unless I can get the 6i6 for a really good deal) as I dont think Ill need 6 inputs for a long time if ever and it offers everything I need. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

If I was to purchase a Syba dac ($57CA from Amazon.com) would that get rid of the noise/interference/static issues Im currently experiencing by having my monitor output connected to my line in on my computer? Also if I was to get ATH-AD900x ($200CA) would you recommend I use the regular 3.5mm connection or use the 6.5mm one? Thanks.

Of course these can be changed but this is the idea Im going for. Now Im fairly certain both setups would be compatible with all the parts listed but I just want to make sure I wouldnt run into any problems. I would also like to know which option you think would be best or if I should make any changes. The Scarlett 2i4 is the route Im leaning towards (unless I can get the 6i6 for a really good deal) as I dont think Ill need 6 inputs for a long time if ever and it offers everything I need. Thanks.

Those two setups are for all intents the same, though I'd probably go with option 1 to lessen the chance of extra interference being introduced somewhere along the line. 

A couple things to note - 

1. Try to use different inputs for the PC and guitar on the interface, not a splitter cable in reverse, if possible

2. The RCA and 3.5mm jacks on the back of the Lepai function as a splitter. Not sure if this changes anything for your plan, but it's a good thing to know.

3. Lutkeveld recently made a nice post about Lepai alternatives that may interest you - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/257962-list-of-cheap-but-good-amplifiers/#entry3525943

If I was to purchase a Syba dac ($57CA from Amazon.com) would that get rid of the noise/interference/static issues Im currently experiencing by having my monitor output connected to my line in on my computer? Also if I was to get ATH-AD900x ($200CA) would you recommend I use the regular 3.5mm connection or use the 6.5mm one? Thanks.

Uhhhh, no, that S/PDIF port on the back is an output not an input. 

3.5mm vs 6.5mm makes no difference at all.

Uhhhh, no, that S/PDIF port on the back is an output not an input. 

3.5mm vs 6.5mm makes no difference at all.

What does the SPDIF port have to do with this?

What does the SPDIF port have to do with this?

Uh, I thought you thought you could hook it up that way. If not, I don't really know how else you could think it would get rid of the monitor's interference.

Uh, I thought you thought you could hook it up that way. If not, I don't really know how else you could think it would get rid of the monitor's interference.

I was planning on having the audio go into my line-in port on my computer via 3.5mm cable and the sound would go through the Syba. Also the noise/interference issue only happens if I have a 3.5mm cable going from my monitor to my computer while just plugging headphones in to the monitor produces nothing. The only other time any noise/interference appears is if I have my volume up past 40% on Windows.