AMD are failing, and why I feel bad for them.

marldorthegreat

Simply, they're not bringing in enough money to put back into R&D.

If they would get more money to come in (which is the hopes with the new CEO), they will be able to catch up/surpass Intel and Nvidia.

Actually, there's lots of competition between AMD and NVidia. The main (and possibly the only) advantage of AMD Gaming cards are their price-performance.(but nvidia wrecked it with the 900 series)

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

It's worrying, but true that AMD is lagging behind especially in the desktop CPU area.

AMD graphics is not as efficient as the competition but it's still competitive in terms of performance/cost.

I really want to see AMD push better products out. I haven't been excited ever since the launch of their "true" x6's. They clearly do not have as much $$$ compared to Intel. Enthusiasts strive for a better chip from AMD.. Hopefully ARM/Excavator shows some improvement...

e9cdff8faa.png

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Well AMD is ahead in the Muti Monitor thing game.(IMO)

I never tried, only thing I think Nvidia is missing right now is for the keyboard shortcut to switch between surround and 3 displays on. Not surround and 1 display on because I have to manually go into the configuration panel and edit it :(

Does AMD have that ?

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I never tried, only thing I think Nvidia is missing right now is for the keyboard shortcut to switch between surround and 3 displays on. Not surround and 1 display on because I have to manually go into the configuration panel and edit it :(

Does AMD have that ?

Don't know, i don't have a Eyefinity setup because i don't have another monitor to test it out....

AMD did a royal fuckup with Bulldozer and did the best of it with Piledriver. They've gone back to the drawing board now, and drafted in some old names, (which i can't recall atm, the guy who helped with the Athlon 64) to make something decent, and the new chip has been dubbed Zen. It's slated for release in late 2015/early 2016. It's shite that you gotta wait but at least they are making a profit in other areas whilst they work on it. I'm looking forward for AMD to cockslap Intel like they have done so in the past.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

i have a friend who's username alone makes it clear he's an amd fan. (like.... add some numbers to that and its actually his name. xD amd fan. xD )

because ''this computer has an i7!!!!!!!! with intel integrated graphics!!!!! for the fastest most advanced user experience!!!'' -lasers and flashy lights-

is easier to remember and brag about for non techy people compared to:

''this computer has an FX-8350 with no integrated graphics!!!!!!!! for the fastest most advanced user experience!!! add a GPU and you're all set!!!!'' -lasers and flashy lights-

thats what i blame it on, cause grandma, and mr.I'mBetterThanYouBecauseIUseMac dont know what a gpu is. but they do know who intel are, and kinda what an i7 is.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I was seriously going to buy a r9 290x when I built my pc but at the time the price here in the states was though the roof because of bitcoin mining and then well nvida released the 780ti and that sealed the deal for me. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

It does sound like your friends are pretty big fan boys if they're not even willing to see what AMD has to offer and how it compares. Their video cards were pretty close if not better, they just haven't released this years cards yet, so currently they're lagging behind by a fair bit. I'm hoping they don't wait long to release the 300 series.
AMD has next to no presence in the prosumer arena. That area is controlled almost wholly by Nvidia. Something like 80%. AMD's prosumer sales are around 8% of their total sales.

AMD makes a good deal of money from Opteron chips, but again, Intel just dominates this area. More revenue, more R&D, more capital investments. AMD just can't keep up.

You're relatively new. Don't start with that pcmasterrace garbage.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i have a friend who's username alone makes it clear he's an amd fan. (like.... add some numbers to that and its actually his name. xD amd fan. xD )

because ''this computer has an i7!!!!!!!! with intel integrated graphics!!!!! for the fastest most advanced user experience!!!'' -lasers and flashy lights-

is easier to remember and brag about for non techy people compared to:

''this computer has an FX-8350 with no integrated graphics!!!!!!!! for the fastest most advanced user experience!!! add a GPU and you're all set!!!!'' -lasers and flashy lights-

thats what i blame it on, cause grandma, and mr.I'mBetterThanYouBecauseIUseMac dont know what a gpu is. but they do know who intel are, and kinda what an i7 is.

Don't you dare even getting me started on people who think macs are better for work or are more secure or are more simple or any other bullshit like that.

But you may be right, Intel is kind of a fashion statement among non-techies, just like beats headphones or iPhones.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

AMD did a royal fuckup with Bulldozer and did the best of it with Piledriver. They've gone back to the drawing board now, and drafted in some old names, (which i can't recall atm, the guy who helped with the Athlon 64) to make something decent, and the new chip has been dubbed Zen. It's slated for release in late 2015/early 2016. It's shite that you gotta wait but at least they are making a profit in other areas whilst they work on it. I'm looking forward for AMD to cockslap Intel like they have done so in the past.

that too.

its good that they make decent integrated graphics in their APU's and have some BADASS gpu's...

my perfect computer has all AMD. 6300 and 290's.

honestly, i just hate to see every ''important'' or ''impressive'' computer be all intel and nvidia, or when you ask for a better product some one sends you to the intel or nvidia equivelent or 1 tier lower....

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Its not just amd. The whole cpu and gpu market feels like it has been pretty stagnant for awhile with companies taking the smallest steps possible when it comes to new products. Though with nvidias recent release of the 970, that may be changing for the gpu side of things.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

It does sound like your friends are pretty big fan boys if they're not even willing to see what AMD has to offer and how it compares. Their video cards were pretty close if not better, they just haven't released this years cards yet, so currently they're lagging behind by a fair bit. I'm hoping they don't wait long to release the 300 series.

AMD has next to no presence in the prosumer arena. That area is controlled almost wholly by Nvidia. Something like 80%. AMD's prosumer sales are around 8% of their total sales.

AMD makes a good deal of money from Opteron chips, but again, Intel just dominates this area. More revenue, more R&D, more capital investments. AMD just can't keep up.

You're relatively new. Don't start with that pcmasterrace garbage.

I just like the PC master race a joke, kind of like 4-1=3 = Half Life 3 confirmed or an arrow to the knee. I'm sorry but it's already too late for me on internet jokes even if I started following this stuff 4 years ago. You are right on a point tough, I shouldn't introduce this in a serious disscussion.

When I was talking about prosumer area, I thought them selling components for the next gen consoles was a big deal financially, and they seemed to show new more business oriented technologies lately.

Edit : I'm not that new, I was here when the forum was on vbulletin 5 and was a complete mess (registered as soon as they said it was opened). I was here for the great incident of the thrown usb drive that wiped some of the forum's data. I'm kidding of course, I know what you mean.

Don't you dare even getting me started on people who think macs are better for work or are more secure or are more simple or any other bullshit like that.

But you may be right, Intel is kind of a fashion statement among non-techies, just like beats headphones or iPhones.

i am in control of the projector and sound system at my church, with the help of my friend caleb.

he's WAAAYY into photography and video editing, blah blah.

one day, i made a pcpartpicker list for him, dual xeon, crazy over kill cooling, ect.

i showed it to him and he was like ''yeah but the i5 back at the mac store is gonna beat that in editing''

ima let that sink in for a bit..............

you cant blame him though, his dad refuses to even touch anything non-apple.

his mac died. (haha... xD ) and he basically went to apple.com and selected the most expensive thing he could possible configure.

he uses it for facebook and organizing his sermons for sundays.

let that sink in for a bit too.

anyway, im sad that AMD gets pushed under...

-Jim Hensen

i am in control of the projector and sound system at my church, with the help of my friend caleb.

Church you say?!?!?! I cringed so much..That's ignorant people for you. But hey, if he wants to blow money let him.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

I just like the PC master race a joke, kind of like 4-1=3 = Half Life 3 confirmed or an arrow to the knee. I'm sorry but it's already too late for me on internet jokes even if I started following this stuff 4 years ago. You are right on a point tough, I shouldn't introduce this in a serious disscussion.

When I was talking about prosumer area, I thought them selling components for the next gen consoles was a big deal financially, and they seemed to show new more business oriented technologies lately.

agreed. i thaught making all the APUs for the next gen (well... current gen) consoles would put the ontop, but the console fanboys have no idea what an apu is or who amd is, and i dont know how much money they got from that... considering microsft and sony lose money for every console sold, but make money for each game sold..... thats why i try to stay away from consoles... it hurts my head xD

gamecube ftw tho. xD gamecube masterrace.

-Jim Hensen

Church you say?!?!?! I cringed so much..That's ignorant people for you. But hey, if he wants to blow money let him.

well, i finally got caleb (friend in the sound booth, also pastors son) to let me build him a PC once he has the money, he even said he's pay me extra to build it xD

but his dad doesnt like it.

its like he thinks apple is part of his religious beliefs. xD

anyway, before i get carried away here. ima test if 6 gigs is enough for me. xD im all ready a tad carried away..... been stuck on the forums and youtube for the past 8 hours. *needs a life* (a half life)

-Jim Hensen

he's WAAAYY into photography and video editing, blah blah.

one day, i made a pcpartpicker list for him, dual xeon, crazy over kill cooling, ect.

i showed it to him and he was like ''yeah but the i5 back at the mac store is gonna beat that in editing''

ima let that sink in for a bit..............

you cant blame him though, his dad refuses to even touch anything non-apple.

his mac died. (haha... xD ) and he basically went to apple.com and selected the most expensive thing he could possible configure.

he uses it for facebook and organizing his sermons for sundays.

let that sink in for a bit too.

anyway, im sad that AMD gets pushed under...

I feel your pain, as part of a DJ community, everybody seems to think that Mac OS is the way to go. Yes, it's more plug and play because DJ companies are making it so on macs but to save a couple bucks and get more performance, do you really mind taking 5 minutes installing a driver for your new DJ controller ?... Even when someone is hesitating between Intel and AMD for his new processor in a PC they are all shouting INTEL ! (To be fair, companies like serato seems to optimise a lot more for Intel, so much so that they do not garrantee that their products will even run on AMD systems. Although, products like ableton live will benefit greatly from more cores.)

Well, as long as nobody is paying for the biggest thing only to browse the web and use a text editor I'm okay with it...

agreed. i thaught making all the APUs for the next gen (well... current gen) consoles would put the ontop, but the console fanboys have no idea what an apu is or who amd is, and i dont know how much money they got from that... considering microsft and sony lose money for every console sold, but make money for each game sold..... thats why i try to stay away from consoles... it hurts my head xD

gamecube ftw tho. xD gamecube masterrace.

They were losing money a generation ago, but with xbox ones and ps4s they aren't. And they wonder why games only run at 900p 30fps...

AMD is doing pretty good in GPUs, not so hot in the CPU market for enthusiasts. They are however doing great in the APU market.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

AMD is competitive with nvidia graphics. Has been for a long time and will be this generation as well. That's not Gonna change. They will continue to trade blows. Don't get carried away thinking that just because nvidia released a new gen first anything will change. AMD will respond with their new gen and the cycle continues.

CPUs are a different story. Intel is ahead both on architecture and manufacturing process.

AMD is doing pretty good in GPUs, not so hot in the CPU market for enthusiasts. They are however doing great in the APU market.

AMD is competitive with nvidia graphics. Has been for a long time and will be this generation as well. That's not Gonna change.

CPUs are a different story. Intel is ahead both on architecture and manufacturing process.

Haven't the 780 had the performance crown even over 290X ?

Last time AMD had it was when the 7970 had a driver update that obliterated the 680.

Haven't the 780 had the performance crown even over 290X ?

Last time AMD had it was when the 7970 had a driver update that obliterated the 680.

Well Performance to Price ratio is better than before because the 290X is around 350 USD, i think they did the price cut because of the competition of the GTX 970 and 980.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003612sr