AMD are failing, and why I feel bad for them.

marldorthegreat

Most people are sheeple, and follow the crowd, or follow the excitement. Truth is, both AMD and Nvidia depend heavily on the easy sells. that is, people who run out and buy a new gpu or two when there's a new release. the hard sells, namely those who only upgrade when they really need to, are not making Nvidia or AMD any Money. Both companies are always trying to drum up hype to turn hard sells into easy sells, and Nvidia are doing it better.

The biggest Advantage that Nvidia has over AMD at this moment in time is not performance, but value added features. AMD have been talking a lot lately about how people expect to pay a certain amount, and feel like they got more than what they paid for. Sadly, Nvidia are doing that better as well, and have been for some time. I use both AMD and Nvidia on a daily basis, and aside from the free games, and the jizz in my pants True Audio (its really that good!), I don't feel that AMD are bringing as much perceived value to the table right now. 

I hope they get 20nm out first and lead with it for a few months, maybe that will help pull in a bunch of easy sells.  :P

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Hmmm.... and I always thought that AMD was kind of better than nVidia and that AMD was better for a lower budget and that you needed nvidia cards if you wanted their extra features.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

But they're right. Their latest drivers cause GPU to stuck in a low power state after being previously fully stressed. Then there are problems with flash content where you'd get BSODs from YouTube. This is just ridiculous. Not to mention other problems I heard people are having with different cards.

Also many popular games like Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Witcher are Nvidia titles.

Nvidia isn't perfect either but I've never had such ridiculous issues. I would never recommend AMD to anyone. I mean, why would you? The only reason why I got myself a 290x is because of its price compared to Nvidia cards. Now that there's 970 i really don't see a point.

You should recommend based on the beautiful concept of PERF/$.

Recommendations for which GPU someone should get should be based mainly on just that. Saying get Nvidia to use "G-sync" is foolish as most people will not bother getting a whole new monitor just to gain access to a feature. Them same applies when people say get Nvidia so you can use "Gamestream" once again most people are not gonna buy a shield/tablet just to use it. Same applies for "Freesync."

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

OK they aren't failing they are just trying to hold out as long as they can so that Nvidia will play their trump early so they can come in beat the crap out of the 900 series. But I must say that letting Nvidia beat the crap out of every 200 series single gpu isn't the best thing that can happen for them as a company.

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

They are losing not that much profit considering they aren't selling Any Opterons, There GPUs are getting outdated and they are sinking money into a 300 series and a CPU series (Zen , K12 and likely New APUs). Whilst developing Mantle , Tress Fx, Freesync.

AMD still has a fight left in them.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

i only ignore them because they've never worked for me. I'm sure other people's cards operate just fine, but i've never seen one work. AMD's drivers aren't too great

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

But they're right. Their latest drivers cause GPU to stuck in a low power state after being previously fully stressed. Then there are problems with flash content where you'd get BSODs from YouTube. This is just ridiculous. Not to mention other problems I heard people are having with different cards.

Also many popular games like Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Witcher are Nvidia titles.

Nvidia isn't perfect either but I've never had such ridiculous issues. I would never recommend AMD to anyone. I mean, why would you? The only reason why I got myself a 290x is because of its price compared to Nvidia cards. Now that there's 970 i really don't see a point.

I dunno Ive been using both nvidia and amd over the years and have never had any issues except with a amd 4850 where ccc wouldn't install. I dont know about your issues but ive never had them. 

Motorola is pretty much dead now as far as big league CPU maker and as they say misery loves company, enter AMD to give Motorola some company.

So think of it as a nice thing.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

What do you guys think about the latest amd driver 14.9 version? 

Is it stable?

The only reason that is happening is because AMD is constantly undermined by most people as being the cheap rip-off. And does not have the money to spend on R + D to develop faster and more efficient gpus/cpus

The reason they do not have money for R & D is because they waste it on making stupid attack ads at nvidia.

Crap like this is why they are a freaking immature company:

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The reason they do not have money for R & D is because they waste it on making stupid attack ads at nvidia.

you sound butt hurt... are you butt hurt?

btw, anyone who has the balls to make an Ad like that is freakin' awesome!!!

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

you sound butt hurt... are you butt hurt?

No its just kind of pathetic that they do this kind of crap. I would not buy anything from nvidia if they make videos about "how AMD products are crap" or did stuff like  "raiding an AMD event, everyone wear green!"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No its just kind of pathetic that they do this kind of crap. I would not buy anything from nvidia if they make videos about "how AMD products are crap" or did stuff like  "raiding an AMD event, everyone wear green!"

yep, you are butt hurt.

-snip-

Are you trying to derail this thread? Because that's against the CoC.

I didn't even say anything to you in the first place. I will just report your post and add you to my ignore list, thank you for your input.

Spoiler

Are you trying to derail this thread? Because that's against the CoC.

I didn't even say anything to you in the first place. I will just report your post and add you to my ignore list, thank you for your input.

I thought this was you... sorry... 

They will disappear soon because of their silly business marketing & shitty products.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Not to mention the fanboys in every thread on every forum saying dont buy amd there drivers are crap.

I think you're vastly overestimating our importance in this. Forum communities are a minority of a minority of a minority. Desktop-grade components are a small part of AMD's (and Intel's) total offerings. Even among people who care about the desktop products, those who would take to the forums to discuss them end up an incredibly small portion of the total. I think its already a big assumption that desktop PC hardware is even AMD's biggest problem.

Edit: And by the way, how many minds do you think are really being changed in AMD vs. Intel fanboy threads? :P

everyone who thinks that amd drivers are shit should look at the newest beta drivers from nvidia, my friend with dual GTX 980s running the beta drivers can't even adjust anything in the nvidia control panel settings without crashing the control panel, and ive been using amd beta drivers, and i haven't had a single problem with them. there has only been one problem that i saw with an older beta driver where things would crap there pants in dead space 3 but i havent seen anything like that since then

Im not against AMD, but I cant doubt that for performance, which is all I'm interested in, they cannot compete against Intel.

And they arent winning the price war anymore either with Intel's unlocked Pentium.

Linus is my fetish.

The only reason that is happening is because AMD is constantly undermined by most people as being the cheap rip-off. And does not have the money to spend on R + D to develop faster and more efficient gpus/cpus

AMD is making a killing right now with the PS4 and the Xbone. It was never a matter of not having enough money, Quite the opposite. They're making enough that they're taking it easy for the moment. I don't know why you're feeling sorry for the when they're definitely not feeling sorry for themselves. They're doing what we in our hearts always want to do: take advantage of the stupidity of the filthy casual zombie hordes.

The r9 3xx series will probably not be able to compete with Maxwell effiency, but the new cpu is promising yet a little bit late tbh

The CPU hopefully will be their Excavator architecture which will be the start of a new family of microarchitectures. Bulldozer wasn't the best family in the world (I mean, they kicked and sucked ass at the same time in different cases)

On the GPU side, well, I think that's partially down to AMD's unspoken-yet-thought-really-loudly manifesto that "YOU WANT MOAR POWER, YOU WILL HAVE MOAR POWER, LIKE VOLCANO!". I mean, look at what they've done in the past. Apart from Mullins and Beema (which are useless) they're not in the least bit concerned about efficiency. They brought out a 5GHz 8350 just for the sake of doing it, just so that they could say "look, our 8350 actually overclocks like a beast!"

They came out with (negligibly) more efficient versions of the 8xxx series but that's the far extent...

I am slightly biased toward nvidia obviously cause of my symbol but Amds workstation cards beat nvidia badly

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/firepro-w8100-workstation-graphics-card,3868.html

Review showing specs of amd workstation

Not to mention the new Mac with a freakin 5k display has an amd card in it so they will make some money on that so I think they ain't leavin and there future in workstation cards and with Apple looks good

not with apple, those price gouge partners and keep their profits. 

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Hello everybody, I'm too young to have seen those glory days where AMD/Intel and ATI/Nvidia were always getting ahead of each other and the performance crown shifting from one 6 months to another and I'd like to know, what the hell happened ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Intel and Nvidia seem to be so much ahead of AMD these days. So much that most people I know who are tech-savvy (might not as much as they pretend but I know a guy who owns a retail store and is quite a good cracker) are disregarding any product the red team has to offer without even comparing ! (Might be fanboyism, I don't know)

It seems to me on the GPU side of things that AMD has taken a more pro-sumer approach as a business plan than Nvidia who is mostly developping things for gamers (Shadowplay, Shield in-home streaming, Geforce Experience) I know AMD has its ones too like Raptor I think it's called but Nvidia was the first to implement these technologies as far as I'm aware of. Although, I have to admit that never settle forever is much better than what Nvidia is offering on the buy a card and get free games front.

Now on the CPU business, it just seems to me like Intel had better engineers or something, why doesn't AMD has 2011 equivalents ? Is it just a company direction choice ? Are Opterons as good as Xeons ?

To be clear, this is not a rant, nor am I a fanboy/hater. The fact that I own Intel and Nvidia products is because they were the better performing at the time of purchase)

I just want to know why AMD seems behind on the technology front (Although they might get to the next process node faster than Nvidia due to the rumors of samsung manufacturing their chips or somehting like that)

I am expressing possibilities that comes to my mind to explain to myself why they seem behind.

Any thoughts ?

Edit : It's also that I would love more competition to get better components at lower prices in order for us PC gamers to have a better general experience.

Edit : What the hell ? Has my topic been merged or something?

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Personally, I think AMD sux. I'm worried though that with AMD out of the X86 and GPU market, Intel and Nvidia will be able to charge whatever their little hearts desire and the customer will lose. 

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.