AMD are failing, and why I feel bad for them.

marldorthegreat

so , AMD just revealed that they made a revenue loss of %4 and it does not look good for Q4. And with the 900 series from Nvidia hitting, AMD is struggling.

I have always been un-biased about AMD and Nvidia, but I am starting to feel bad about AMD. for what they do on the VERY limited budget they have, they have brought many innovative ideas and hardware to the table. But for some reason people just reject AMD and just buy an Nvidia GPU, even if the amd card is better in terms of price point, performance and power draw. This confuses me, and AMD has truly innovated over the past 10 years and not may people have given them credit.

Good luck to the new CEO and I hope that AMD can revive themselves and compete with Maxwell somehow.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

have their share price gone down?

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

Hopefully the new radeon series isn't just a refresh of the current series. Amd needs something to bring them back into the game. Well a new flagship to put them back in the lead. Hopefully they find a way to make more energy efficient gpu's, and they can, and will compete with maxwell and nvidia. But either way, the new releases is just another round in a never ending match.

Well ... they just invested a lot of money into ZEN architecture didnt they? That may be cause of it?

well lets see what happens.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

AMD is not failing. They are just taking their sweet time with the R9 3xx series and their new CPU architecture

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Get into your bunkers, a thermonuclear war's-a-brewin'!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Perhaps it is because intel is beating them out big time in the CPU world, and currently Nvidia is beating them out in the GPU world.

(#Nvidia+IntelMasterRace!)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Perhaps it is because intel is beating them out big time in the CPU world, and currently Nvidia is beating them out in the GPU world.

The only reason that is happening is because AMD is constantly undermined by most people as being the cheap rip-off. And does not have the money to spend on R + D to develop faster and more efficient gpus/cpus

AMD is not failing. They are just taking their sweet time with the R9 3xx series and their new CPU architecture

The r9 3xx series will probably not be able to compete with Maxwell effiency, but the new cpu is promising yet a little bit late tbh

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

The only reason that is happening is because AMD is constantly undermined by most people as being the cheap rip-off. And does not have the money to spend on R + D to develop faster and more efficient gpus/cpus

Not to mention the fanboys in every thread on every forum saying dont buy amd there drivers are crap.

Well, it has always been a constant battle between AMD and Nvidia. AMD had cards that beat Nvidia cards in sale numbers back in the days and now Nvidia has the advantage. AMD will come with something sooner or later to compete with the 900 series and i actually consider this constant battle a good thing, market share dominance isn't a good thing for a company to have, especially for the customers.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I remember the flame wars of the past between intel/AMD. 

I have no hate for either. Both are good. But if you want the bleeding edge of performance, you gotta go with intel.

But if you're low on cash and still want to whoop ass, go with AMD. 

AMD isn't failing, their architectures aren't top end anymore. I remember when the phenom/core 2 quad were almost neck and neck. 

Those days are gone. That's it. They aren't at each other's throats anymore. 

There's no more competition. 

And I'm glad.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

We need both companies to survive and remain actively competitive, it drives innovation and squashes prices. You can hashtag as much as you like, but monopoly just strains our wallets and slows down the rate that we (as consumers) receive tech.

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 | 2x4GB kingston hyper-x genesis @1600MHz | Gigabyte windforce GTX 780 3xOC rev.2 | 240GB kingston v300 & 500GB seagate 7200rpm | 

Corsair GS600 |  1440p Dell U2515H & 1080p 60Hz tv/monitor | Asetek based AIO 120mm liquid cpu cooler

Hopefully the new radeon series isn't just a refresh of the current series. Amd needs something to bring them back into the game. Well a new flagship to put them back in the lead. Hopefully they find a way to make more energy efficient gpu's, and they can, and will compete with maxwell and nvidia. But either way, the new releases is just another round in a never ending match.

The R7/R9 refresh was really bad for AMD...we can hope that they will figure something out

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I am slightly biased toward nvidia obviously cause of my symbol but Amds workstation cards beat nvidia badly

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/firepro-w8100-workstation-graphics-card,3868.html

Review showing specs of amd workstation

Not to mention the new Mac with a freakin 5k display has an amd card in it so they will make some money on that so I think they ain't leavin and there future in workstation cards and with Apple looks good

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

I remember the flame wars of the past between intel/AMD. 

I have no hate for either. Both are good. But if you want the bleeding edge of performance, you gotta go with intel.

But if you're low on cash and still want to whoop ass, go with AMD. 

AMD isn't failing, their architectures aren't top end anymore. I remember when the phenom/core 2 quad were almost neck and neck. 

Those days are gone. That's it. They aren't at each other's throats anymore. 

There's no more competition. 

And I'm glad.

People arguing online isn't a good reason to not have equilibrium in a market. I'd much rather see arguing here and there than Intel and Nvidia being a monopoly and driving the prices up 200%. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I am slightly biased toward nvidia obviously cause of my symbol but Amds workstation cards beat nvidia badly

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/firepro-w8100-workstation-graphics-card,3868.html

Review showing specs of amd workstation

Not to mention the new Mac with a freakin 5k display has an amd card in it so they will make some money on that so I think they ain't leavin and there future in workstation cards and with Apple looks good

Bruh ur grammar :P

People arguing online isn't a good reason to not have equilibrium in a market. I'd much rather see arguing here and there than Intel and Nvidia being a monopoly and driving the prices up 200%.

Amen to that

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Bruh ur grammar  :P

It's forums grammar doesn't matter unless u spell the words completely wrong

And don't be that guy who's the grammar nazi

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

even if the amd card is better in terms of price point, performance and power draw. This confuses me, and AMD has truly innovated over the past 10 years and not may people have given them credit.

I have an AMD card at the moment but I can't help but think that this is incorrect?  Even before the 900 series, nvidia had an upper hand in terms of power draw and performance, both of which were delivered at a comparative pricing point in the UK.

I'm not really active in the GPU market but this is my two pennies worth.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Well, it has always been a constant battle between AMD and Nvidia. AMD had cards that beat Nvidia cards in sale numbers back in the days and now Nvidia has the advantage. AMD will come with something sooner or later to compete with the 900 series and i actually consider this constant battle a good thing, market share dominance isn't a good thing for a company to have, especially for the customers.

well for the company it's perfect but for the consumers it's not so good.

Nvidia does a lot more marketing, thats what i blame it on. I mean theres soo much "powered by PhysX" or "powered by Nvidia" in games, its not even funny. Ive thought about this too. Many people always say "Amd is shit. Shit drivers shit support shit cards they run so hot they will die immediatly". 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Not to mention the fanboys in every thread on every forum saying dont buy amd there drivers are crap.

But they're right. Their latest drivers cause GPU to stuck in a low power state after being previously fully stressed. Then there are problems with flash content where you'd get BSODs from YouTube. This is just ridiculous. Not to mention other problems I heard people are having with different cards.

Also many popular games like Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Witcher are Nvidia titles.

Nvidia isn't perfect either but I've never had such ridiculous issues. I would never recommend AMD to anyone. I mean, why would you? The only reason why I got myself a 290x is because of its price compared to Nvidia cards. Now that there's 970 i really don't see a point.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz