Replacing PSU cables for looks

gooooofpie

I am a first time builder and I plan to make my PC look good, I want to replace the black cables that comes with EVGA SuperNOVA G2 to red ones for my Motherboard and Graphics card. I plan to get Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO motherboard (24 pin, I assume and also 4+4 pin for CPU )and Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 video card (8+6pin). What kind of cables should I get? Do they matter? Does all cables have same pins on both ends? Will appreciate suggestions :)

I am a first time builder and I plan to make my PC look good, I want to replace the black cables that comes with EVGA SuperNOVA G2 to red ones for my Motherboard and Graphics card. I plan to get Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO motherboard (24 pin, I assume and also 4+4 pin for CPU )and Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 video card (8+6pin). What kind of cables should I get? Do they matter? Does all cables have same pins on both ends? Will appreciate suggestions :)

EVGA sells a kit for $90. If you want to completely replace the cables, otherwise grab Bitfenix Extensions.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

You want red sleeved cables? Or just get red sleeved extension cables. 

Yeah I want red cables, are extension cables recommended?

Yeah I want red cables, are extension cables recommended?

They might be cheaper if you just want to get a few cables. But they are also harder to cable manage since there's more length to them.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

They might be cheaper if you just want to get a few cables. But they are also harder to cable manage since there's more length to them.

Are cables all the same? Do they affect performance? Do all cables have same amount of pins at both ends?

Are cables all the same? Do they affect performance? Do all cables have same amount of pins at both ends?

Yeah, everything should be the same. If you buy the cable replacements then you have to buy them from EVGA. The extensions will work with any power supply though.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Yeah, they're extensions just like the Bitfenix ones.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

How much cable management room behind the motherboard tray do you have? If there is ample room to stuff all of your cables, then go with what EarthboundHero said and just get extensions.

If there isn't a ton of space, then you could always attempt to sleeve the cables yourself. A job you do yourself (assuming you do it right) will always look better than something you buy.

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Yeah, that's fine. I love the Bitfenix extensions.

4+4 pin for cpu is basically the same as 8 pin right?

4+4 pin for cpu is basically the same as 8 pin right?

Yep, it's the same thing.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

How much cable management room behind the motherboard tray do you have? If there is ample room to stuff all of your cables, then go with what EarthboundHero said and just get extensions.

If there isn't a ton of space, then you could always attempt to sleeve the cables yourself. A job you do yourself (assuming you do it right) will always look better than something you buy.

I'm going with H440

I'm going with H440

That might be difficult to manage. But with the cover I think it'll work.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Yep, it's the same thing.

On Techquickie, Linus said not to connect the 8 pin GPU connector to the 8 pin CPU on the motherboard

On Techquickie, Linus said not to connect the 8 pin GPU connector to the 8 pin CPU on the motherboard

There's an 8-Pin EPS which is for CPU, and an 8-Pin Video, which is for GPU. Make sure you get the right one. They are not compatible.
Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

using extensions, it doesn't matter on the 8-pin as they are parallel like input to

like output. but for full cable replacement, yes it matters as the PSU output on

most manufacturers is not parallel. i've taken 8-pin EPS cables and used them

for 8-pin GPU power (the device connector should have been altered to prevent

accidental connections) with extensions with no ills or issues.

using extensions, it doesn't matter on the 8-pin as they are parallel like input to

like output. but for full cable replacement, yes it matters as the PSU output on

most manufacturers is not parallel. i've taken 8-pin EPS cables and used them

for 8-pin GPU power (the device connector should have been altered to prevent

accidental connections) with extensions with no ills or issues.

I've tried connecting my 8-Pin video extensions to my EPS and it didn't work. The video extension had a safety thing. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

@EarthboundHero

i've got a bitfenix 8-pin EPS on my GTX 780 (hate the 6+2 config), also a Lutro0

customs kit, and some other sleevers kits with the same results.

@EarthboundHero

i've got a bitfenix 8-pin EPS on my GTX 780 (hate the 6+2 config), also a Lutro0

customs kit, and some other sleevers kits with the same results.

Same results as me?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler