Nexus 9 is apparently as powerful as a 2012 Mac Pro - Speculation

GoodBytes

We know that the Nexus 9 won't ship until Novermber 3rd, but we do know that it is that it will be powered by an Nvidia Tegra K1, and that it is from HTC.

From Geekbench (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1014854), we can see that the HTC Volantis is the Nexus 9, based on speculation.

That means that the Nexus 9 is as powerful, at least on this benchmark, as an entry level Mac Pro from 2012.

hsaisiurbq4ng97hnkmx.jpg

Of course, it's just a benchmark, and it doesn't represent the overall system abilities and performance. But it does show that the Tegra K1 is one beast of processor, if all true.

With that in mind: the 'HTC Volantis' (read: Nexus 9) scored 1,903 in Geekbench. To put that in context: an entry-level 2012 Mac Pro, a machine designed for professional-level media editing and retailing for over a grand, scored a 1,925. Heck, my Macbook Air barely scrapes over the 2,000 mark. In tablet terms, that's nearly unheard of. The Nexus 10 that it's replacing scores 879, and in Geekbench world, double the score means double the performance. Even the year-old iPad Air only squeaks in at 1,085.

reports Gizmodo

I guess we have to wait to see in early November if this is all true.

What supports this, is that we know that HTC is making the Nexus 9, and we know that it is powered by the Tegra 3. Project name Volantis was talked about during leaks, and the CPU specs is identical to the Tegra K1.

Tegra K1 has 2 models: 2.3GHz Quad Core 32-bit, and the 2.5GHz Dual core 64-bit model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_K1

Source 1: http://gizmodo.com/nexus-9-benchmarked-as-powerful-as-a-2012-mac-pro-1647454837

Source 2: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1014854

Source 3: https://twitter.com/jfpoole/status/522761859532095488

Update

It's now available for pre-order.

Although, please don't make the above benchmark claim as your deciding factor. We will only know for sure at 100% once the product is released.

Only the Wi-Fi model is available for now. The LTE is coming later.

16GB of storage for $399

32GB of storage for $479

LTE model (no info on storage size) will be for 599$

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/17/6995071/nexus-9-preorder-pricing-availability-release-date

Okay, let me get this straight. The Nexus 9 is replacing the Nexus 10? That's just weird. :huh:

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Okay, let me get this straight. The Nexus 9 is replacing the Nexus 10? That's just weird. :huh:

It's replacing both 7 and 10, leaving it as Google's only tablet, since both the 2013 N7 and N10 are quite behind in terms of specs now.

"Rawr XD"

It's replacing both 7 and 10, leaving it as Google's only tablet, since both the 2013 N7 and N10 are quite behind in terms of specs now.

Yeah, I'm mainly pointing out the numbers. Shouldn't they've made the Nexus 10 the Nexus 9 and vice versa?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Yeah, I'm mainly pointing out the numbers. Shouldn't they've made the Nexus 10 the Nexus 9 and vice versa?

idk, but I think Google should have made a new Nexus 7, since the Nexus 9 and especially the Nexus 6 aren't really at competitive price points.

"Rawr XD"

I'd see what you'd done there.

If they made a 2 and a 0 though...

I don't get it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

They have a Nexus 4, add in a 2 and a 0....

Ohhhkay I understand now.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

It runs well on non-shit phones. And without the disease we call "TouchWiz

Ever since 4.2 its been pretty smooth and resource efficient. 4.4 is really lightweight and I imagine Loli is too.

I have an LG G3 and its nothing like IOS in terms of smoothness.

Ha, and here I am still using a MacBook pro from 2008 with a core 2 duo and dual 9400m/9600m-GT graphics.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

It's also quite a bit more impressive than NVIDIA's own Tegra K1 in their SHIELD Tablet by some aspects.

I'd consider the Nexus 9, but at the price point, it's a bit off the table.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

It runs well on non-shit phones. And without the disease we call "TouchWiz

What?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The G3 can be a bit laggy, but I've had the N5 and M8 and they are buttery smooth(rarely had problems). Even my current phone(Moto G) is smooth, but it lags every so often(only costs $200, so its fine).

What?

I've seen where people call Android a laggy mess but then they are using a crappy phone as a reference(or outdated ones). As for TouchWiz, its the heaviest skin and bogs down devices. It runs good on the Note and S series, but anything else and its rough.

You should try a Nexus then ;)

I'd have thought they'd keep the 7 going personally, and just drop the price. It's still fairly capable as a hardware platform. 

it pretty much has two large A57 cores 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Mac Pro or MacBook Pro? Huge difference and there's no way in Hell any tablet now is as powerful as a SandyBridge-EP workstation.

EDIT: okay, just on web browsing, but has anyone benched a 2012 Mac Pro since 2014?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The name is based on the screen size, not the iteration number...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it