Apple has sold 225 million iPads since it launched

flexar

According to Tim Cook, Apple has sold 225 Million iPads. To put that in perspective that is six times more that the entire population of Canada. That is a lot of tablets, the most tablets sold by any company including companies such as Samsung. Some might not like iPads but the world sure does.

With the announcement of the iPad Air 2 and the New iPad Mini apple has released some other information. Such as the wopping 225 Million iPads sold in since 2010 at its initial release. Just last year Apple sold 170 Million iPads to put that in perspective Samsung and its infinitely big table line up has only sold 40 Million tablets last year. Apple you go girl.   

Original Article From the Verge

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/16/6983835/apple-ipad-sales-ios-8-adoption

Does it bend?

I don't care much for apple or samsung.

But I have to admit, they do pretty well/.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

#Bendgate

I just reread that. THAT GRAMMAR THO

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I just reread that. THAT GRAMMAR THO

You could say that, just say do the bendgate thing.

#Bendgate

OMFG this new tablet of mine bends when I push it with all my strength! What a piece of shit!

OMFG this new tablet of mine bends when I push it with all my strength! What a piece of shit!

Just referring to @Jerakl what was saying.

Does it bend?

I don't care much for apple or samsung.

But I have to admit, they do pretty well/.

I care about Apple, but not Samsung. Apple always paves the way. For example, Google Wallet wasn't really doing well and with Apple Pay, NFC payments are going to be way more common. 

Just referring to @Jerakl what was saying.

I know, I was joking as well :D

I care about Apple, but not Samsung. Apple always paves the way. For example, Google Wallet wasn't really doing well and with Apple Pay, NFC payments are going to be way more common. 

My favorite video

My favorite video

They didn't really invent anything, but they have made lots of things popular. I don't think tablets wouldn't have taken off like it did without the iPad. Android would still look as bad as Gingerbread if Apple wasn't as good with industrial design. Anything Apple does has a significant impact on the whole tech industry. 

They didn't really invent anything, but they have made lots of things popular. I don't think tablets wouldn't have taken off like it did without the iPad. Android would still look as bad as Gingerbread if Apple wasn't as good with industrial design. Anything Apple does has a significant impact on the whole tech industry. 

This is true.

Yeah but saying that they didn't invent anything is just moving the goal posts. I urge you to find any invention ever that didn't take advantage of previous inventions or technologies.

It simply doesn't happen. Science and technology and especially code are by their definition iterative and as a consequence of that nothing is 100% unique.

My favorite video

Apple doesn't make things, they make things better. 

Exactly, Apple promote "innovation" not "invention" it is about taking technology and refining it, making it feel nice, look nice, and work easier. Like a fingerprint reader is not new, but touch id is an amazing system, just one example of Apple innovation!

I love my iPad, and I dont see me ever giving it up, the new Air 2 looks amazingly powerful! I wonder if it beats the tegra k1?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes apple make good quality stuff, yes they are the first to bring some stuff to market, but I am getting tired of this fallacy that if it wasn't for apple we wouldn't have smartphones or tablets or that android would be shit.  The evolution of technology doesn't work that way.  The existence of Apple hasn't defined the evolution of technology, it has merely been a part of it.

EDIT: on topic, it looks like Apple are loosing that edge though, according to IDC they have lost 9.1% market share. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes apple make good quality stuff, yes they are the first to bring some stuff to market, but I am getting tired of this fallacy that if it wasn't for apple we wouldn't have smartphones or tablets or that android would be shit.  The evolution of technology doesn't work that way.  The existence of Apple hasn't defined the evolution of technology, it has merely been a part of it.

It's true though. But it works the other way around, too. iOS would still be as closed off as iOS 4 if it weren't for Android. 

It's true though. But it works the other way around, too. iOS would still be as closed off as iOS 4 if it weren't for Android. 

That's why I say they are a part of the technical evolution rather than define the technical evolution.  Just like Asus, Samsung, IBM, Lenovo, MS, Nokia, LG etc they all play their part in perpetuating innovation and moving technology forward, but not one individually is responsible for leading the way as such.  they all play their part.  There are of course a few sideline areas in all this where there is evidence that one company excels from the others. However, Tablets and smartphones would not be significantly different if we were able to remove either Apple or Samsung from history. 

If we could remove apple from history this discussion would be about Samsung and nokia, or blackberry v android. Conversely if google didn't exist it might well be yahoo phone v IOS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

EDIT: on topic, it looks like Apple are loosing that edge though, according to IDC they have lost 9.1% market share. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

We would have smart phones, but they wouldn't be as smart. Did you ever use a touch screen phone before the iphone? They were all terrible. After the iphone, everyone makes a decent touch experience now. They didn't invent the touch screen, they just took it to a much better place. It seems like most of the time people like samsung half ass a feature just to say they had it first, then people like you come to complain when people praise apple's tech. No, they didn't invent the fingerprint scanner, but they did refine it to the point of near perfection. Samsung/HTC both had finger print scanners before apple, but they worked maybe 40% of the time and only if you put your 1 finger on it the exact same way (HTC one max was terrible for this). I've had my apple touch ID fail 10 times that I can remember, and almost all of those were because my hands were wet or dirty. 

Like I said, they don't make the technology. They make the technology better. 

We would have smart phones, but they wouldn't be as smart. Did you ever use a touch screen phone before the iphone? They were all terrible. After the iphone, everyone makes a decent touch experience now. They didn't invent the touch screen, they just took it to a much better place. It seems like most of the time people like samsung half ass a feature just to say they had it first, then people like you come to complain when people praise apple's tech. No, they didn't invent the fingerprint scanner, but they did refine it to the point of near perfection. Samsung/HTC both had finger print scanners before apple, but they worked maybe 40% of the time and only if you put your 1 finger on it the exact same way (HTC one max was terrible for this). I've had my apple touch ID fail 10 times that I can remember, and almost all of those were because my hands were wet or dirty. 

Of course they would be "as smart" Samsung would still be competing with LG who would be competing with blackberry who is still competing with HTC and so on.  One player isn't the be all and end all of quality and improvement. 

yes exactly somebody who gets it

Apple are all about "innovation" here is what it means

The process of translating an idea or invention into a good or service that creates value or for which customers will pay.

Sounds like apple to me! they take things that are great ideas, but were poorly implemented, touch screen, fingerprint scanners, high resolution displays, etc and they turn them into fantastic consumer products

That said they are not alone, I had an HTC HD2 back in 2009 and it whooped the 3gs in my opinon, though windows mobile was a bit of a pig it had a beautiful interface, and you could do so much! it was also incredibly built (its my all time favourite smartphone)

Technology might still advance without them, but it could have gone in a different direction, (not saying if positive or negative)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Of course they would be "as smart" Samsung would still be competing with LG who would be competing with blackberry who is still competing with HTC and so on.  One player isn't the be all and end all of quality and improvement. 

Right, I didn't say they would die out completely, but how many things have apple done and then everyone copied? I'm not saying we would have smart phones, they just wouldn't be as refined. They wouldn't have the perfectionist that is apple to compete with, therefore their work would be more sloppy as there is no "gold standard" to compare to. 

Right, I didn't say they would die out completely, but how many things have apple done and then everyone copied? I'm not saying we would have smart phones, they just wouldn't be as refined. They wouldn't have the perfectionist that is apple to compete with, therefore their work would be more sloppy as there is no "gold standard" to compare to. 

I think they would easily be just as refined.  Apple is one innovator in an industry with many.  The existence of apple does not make things any better than the existence of google, HTC, Lenovo, HP, Blackberry etc.  Yes apple improve on the technology, but so do all the others.  Apple do somethings better, Samsung do other things better, in the end the evolution of tech is not intrinsically linked to any one company but the collective of all.  

Lost 9.1% market share in what?

That's why I say they are a part of the technical evolution rather than define the technical evolution.  Just like Asus, Samsung, IBM, Lenovo, MS, Nokia, LG etc they all play their part in perpetuating innovation and moving technology forward, but not one individually is responsible for leading the way as such.  they all play their part.  There are of course a few sideline areas in all this where there is evidence that one company excels from the others. However, Tablets and smartphones would not be significantly different if we were able to remove either Apple or Samsung from history. 

If we could remove apple from history this discussion would be about Samsung and nokia, or blackberry v android. Conversely if google didn't exist it might well be yahoo phone v IOS.

You make a lot of assertions here that don't really jive with a lot of Apple history and just general knowledge of how the company functions. Yes, obviously we'd be in a world where two companies were competing that wouldn't be Apple. But what would the products look like? What would they be? Who would push the PC manufacturers to innovate like Apple does with the build quality of their laptops and more recently the Mac Pro? 

Keep in mind Android was originally created by the founders of Danger after they left to be an OS for a keyboard centric phone. That's what smartphones looked like pre-iPhone. Samsung and Blackberry would be competing with each other, but we'd still have almost square screens and half the phone robbed by a physical keyboard. Remember that the then-RIM CEO himself said the claims made by Apple about the original iPhone were impossible. It pushed the envelope in ways that RIM could not even comprehend. That's why the world would be a different place. Because the preconceptions held by the OEMs would never have been disrupted. The very fact that he thought it was impossible just shows why things would not have changed -- because nobody could see past the current devices.

Well, I mean, Samsung isn't competing with LG or HTC. LG and HTC thus far don't have a chance. HTC will be dead or purchased by someone else within five years, mark my words. LG will exit the smartphone business or continue to hobble on. For that matter, Samsung isn't even doing that well. Blackberry is dead too.

The only company even worth mentioning in the same breath as Apple with regards to success is Samsung and given the way they're actively in a race to the bottom and the fact that they actually warned their shareholders that their sales will not show well on their quarterly, the future is not bright for Samsung smartphones.

And it's really a shame. All of it. Competition is good. Apple needs to be prodded along too. Apple needs to be kept awake at night by something. As of right now we're looking at Apple becoming the Intel of smartphones within five years if something doesn't give. Yes, there will be other players, but they won't be selling well and they'll be overshadowed by products that might not even be better.

I think they would easily be just as refined.  Apple is one innovator in an industry with many.  The existence of apple does not make things any better than the existence of google, HTC, Lenovo, HP, Blackberry etc.  Yes apple improve on the technology, but so do all the others.  Apple do somethings better, Samsung do other things better, in the end the evolution of tech is not intrinsically linked to any one company but the collective of all.  

What Apple does differently is focusing on design first. Nobody else focuses on aesthetic and functional design foremost, I can tell you that. Most of these companies sprung up as technology companies.

Apple is not a technology company. They are a design company that happens to be relatively ok at technology. That's the difference. The fact that you can't see the contributions they make does not make them nonexistent.