Cant figure out how to run an old monitor?

Hello everyone! I found an old (really old) monochrome VGA monitor I want to turn into an oscilloscope. I cannot find the service manual for it. when i found it, the power and video cables were chopped off. power, not a problem. video? never worked on a monochrome before. all of the video inputs labeled on the PCB are: V1, VS, HS, SR, GND. my guess is that VS and HS are horizontal and vertical sync, GND is obvious, but I have no idea about V1 or SR. everything is connected to the main PCB, except for V1, which goes directly to the PCB on the neck of the CRT. Any ideas? monitor is a SAMSUNG ML4571.

Pics post them plz

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

Pics post them plz

Honestly the only thing this phone does well is pictures... if the darn thing would focus!post-128204-0-56544200-1413500890_thumb.

post-128204-0-89177100-1413500911_thumb.

post-128204-0-70312200-1413500934_thumb.

post-128204-0-42334900-1413500960_thumb.

There you go.

Stupid rotate button on phone doesnt actually edit the image...

Honestly the only thing this phone does well is pictures... if the darn thing would focus!attachicon.gifIMAG0203-1.jpg

There you go.

Stupid rotate button on phone doesnt actually edit the image...

The power plug and the video connector is cut off ?

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

Yes. Both are cut. It was a roadside find, it was going to be tossed.

This require insane amount of job i think since both are with the sceen and not able to detach them . Do you have the tools / patience to do something like that ?And how do you know it is not burned or broken?

Seeing as it was vga (there is one on ebay) and it goes to the crt neck, i would imagine that v1 is the video signal, but no idea for the sr signal. hs and vs are likely the sync signals... it might just be a signal for telling the computer what the monitor is, just like "modern" vga displays do. "For the love of whatever it is you believe in, dont plug anything into that" Linus said that.

Seeing as it was vga (there is one on ebay) and it goes to the crt neck, i would imagine that v1 is the video signal, but no idea for the sr signal. hs and vs are likely the sync signals... it might just be a signal for telling the computer what the monitor is, just like "modern" vga displays do. "For the love of whatever it is you believe in, dont plug anything into that" @Linus

Well my best guess s open a vga cable and a power cable and replace color by color . So were is red you remove it and put red from new one that is my best guess and that is what i would do but as i said the screen may be broken and even if you do all that in the end not work

Or perhaps dink with one 0f the equally old windows computers i found with it. Unbelievably, one of them managed to boot into windows 95!

Well if you have a working already why you wanted to mode that one? xD

Don't kill yourself with that monitor. They still carry enough charge to kill you when not plugged in. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Don't kill yourself with that monitor. They still carry enough charge to kill you when not plugged in. 

How? 0_o

How? 0_o

Capacitors, they can store power and release it in under a second. Maybe it wouldn't kill you if your heart is fine, but it hurts really bad. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Capacitors, they can store power and release it in under a second. Maybe it wouldn't kill you if your heart is fine, but it hurts really bad. 

Still that monitos was attached to a socket for years can it still pack tha much power?

Still that monitos was attached to a socket for years can it still pack tha much power?

I don't know how long they can store the power. But...

1868.jpg

I don't know how long they can store the power. But...

1868.jpg

If you dont get hurt you dont learn :D

I meantni have a working tower. And yes, i have checked all the caps and crt anode cap (I call them quops) and evrything is dead. I have been bit before by a capacitor while working on a tempermental a/c unit...

I also have an awesome capacitor tester. I do monitor repairs, 2 of my 3 "gaming" monitors were going to be scrapped.

I meantni have a working tower. And yes, i have checked all the caps and crt anode cap (I call them quops) and evrything is dead. I have been bit before by a capacitor while working on a tempermental a/c unit...

I also have an awesome capacitor tester. I do monitor repairs, 2 of my 3 "gaming" monitors were going to be scrapped.

Nice equipment you have

Nice equipment you have

I got some pretty neat stuff, including a homemade desoldering iron. My tester identifies almost any 2/3 pin component, and it checks capacitor esr, too. Has helped me fix so many car amplifiers and monitors. Its kinda my job...

UPDATE: For my intents and purposes, it works! plugged it in, and i get a white raster. Perfect. Now i need to fake the deflection yoke.

Post pics when you finish it :D

Update: I got it working!

Still need to detach and rotate the deflection yoke 90 degrees, and build a stronger amplifier, one that can drive 0.3 ohm loads! I will probably just beef up the small transistors here for some larger transistors and put a 5w 4ohm resistor in series. Doesn't need a very high peak voltage.

Update: I got it working!

Still need to detach and rotate the deflection yoke 90 degrees, and build a stronger amplifier, one that can drive 0.3 ohm loads! I will probably just beef up the small transistors here for some larger transistors and put a 5w 4ohm resistor in series. Doesn't need a very high peak voltage.

Nice