filter for flushing loop

Hey guys,

I am going to be building my loop shortly. I have flushed my radiators etc but I don't think they are completely done. 

What I want to do is setup a one component loop where at the end, before it goes back into the bucket, it goes through some sort of filter to make sure that no gunk is being passed back round again. I would leave this running for a good hour or so to flush them nicely!

What is the best thing for this? Can I just use a filter from a hardware store attached to the end of the tube or are there better things suited for this application?

Yes you can, don't go super restrictive  on it, as the pump is doing all the work, but you certainly want a tight mesh.

Hey guys,

I am going to be building my loop shortly. I have flushed my radiators etc but I don't think they are completely done. 

What I want to do is setup a one component loop where at the end, before it goes back into the bucket, it goes through some sort of filter to make sure that no gunk is being passed back round again. I would leave this running for a good hour or so to flush them nicely!

What is the best thing for this? Can I just use a filter from a hardware store attached to the end of the tube or are there better things suited for this application?

I don't seem the harm in doing so you'll just need to filter the liquid going into a temporary reservoir/bucket to run the system and make sure nothing is left inside, maybe an inline fuel filter for vehicles, or have the liquid flow into a very fine mesh metal coffee filter. 

EMPI-VWFuelFilter.jpg

Yes you can, don't go super restrictive  on it, as the pump is doing all the work, but you certainly want a tight mesh.

Well I will have both my pumps running so that I can prime them. I am going to my local hardware store tomorrow to see what I can find. 

I don't seem the harm in doing so you'll just need to filter the liquid going into a temporary reservoir/bucket to run the system and make sure nothing is left inside, maybe an inline fuel filter for vehicles, or have the liquid flow into a very fine mesh metal coffee filter. 

Something that is inline and can have the tubing directly attached would be useful. But a coffee filter will work perfectly for what I need! Going to grab a few litres of distilled water tomorrow to sort this out!

I solved this with some Jelly straining mesh! I simply put it over the end of the tube going back into the reservoir and it strained all the crap out the loop.

Was there a lot of junk, I may consider this since I'm doing a watercooling loop in the future

Was there a lot of junk, I may consider this since I'm doing a watercooling loop in the future

Yes, there was a lot! I had flushed it out before hand with hot de-ionised water and there was still loads!

I would show you a picture but I threw the mesh away after use. I would possibly even look at getting a finer mesh than that as I feel there was some really tiny bits floating around.

Also, Koolance have a filter for sale which isnt a bad price and comes with G1/4 holes... attach quick disconnect either end of it and you have got a filter which can be cleaned aswell!