Please help with IPS/PLS 2560x1440p monitors

AudaciousGnome

Hi

So I have a budget of US$400-US$650 and I am leaning towards getting a Asus PB278Q(currently $459.99 at Amazon) but I would like to know what other options there are for IPS/PLS 2560x1440p monitors in my price range?

My only concern with the monitor is that it came out almost 2 years ago so does it still hold up? Is it still one of the best on the market?

Does anyone have the PB278Q as well? I would be keen to hear what you guys and girls think about the monitor.....

Thanks

It's considered to be one of the best PLS 1440p monitors out there. Asus also seems to be doing a refresh of it, called the PB278QR. Get that one if you can, otherwise the PB278Q.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I have a pb278q, got it refurb like 8 months ago for $460, it's really really nice.  Works for everything I use it for :D

I wish it had USB ports, basically my only complaint.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

PB278q from asus

u2713hm from Dell

S27D850T form Samsung

all good choices

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I have a pb278q, got it refurb like 8 months ago for $460, it's really really nice.  Works for everything I use it for :D

I wish it had USB ports, basically my only complaint.

Forgive my ignorance but why would you want it to have USB ports? Aren't there enough USB ports on the tower of the PC?

It's considered to be one of the best PLS 1440p monitors out there. Asus also seems to be doing a refresh of it, called the PB278QR. Get that one if you can, otherwise the PB278Q.

It seems to only be available in the EU?

Have they changed anything significantly from the older model?

q

My PC is quite a bit further away from certain things I'd like to plug into the tower, so having usb ports in the monitor would help a bunch.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

My PC is quite a bit further away from certain things I'd like to plug into the tower, so having usb ports in the monitor would help a bunch.

Fair enough. 

If that is the only issue then it sounds like a great monitor. Might have to go ahead and pull the trigger and get it while it is still on sale :)

I have a PB278Q and I don't have any complaints. It has the expected decent but not fast response time, colors look great and it's really nice compared to a typical 1080p.

When people say "not fast response time". Can you put that in context? For the average casual PC gamer who is not heavily into FPS games is it even a factor? I get pro's playing at a high level needing every advantage they can get but surely response times for us mortals is a non factor unless all you do is play games like BF4 and COD.....

When people say "not fast response time". Can you put that in context? For the average casual PC gamer who is not heavily into FPS games is it even a factor? I get pro's playing at a high level needing every advantage they can get but surely response times for us mortals is a non factor unless all you do is play games like BF4 and COD.....

It's hard to explain but easy to see. When talking total lag (input and response time) the PB278 gets about 17ms IIRC, while a 120Hz monitor is under 4 usually. What this means for you in game, mostly fps is that motion looks blurred and your actions on the controls take a little to happen on the screen. When I move my mouse cursor on 144Hz, it feels like I'm directly controlling the mouse whereas on the PB it's a little more disconnected. What you want is totally preference, I for one would gladly trade this responsiveness for the colors and hi-res of the PB278. Keep in mind 17ms is about a frame at 60FPS, you get used to it but it never quite goes away if you're into FPS.

It's hard to explain but easy to see. When talking total lag (input and response time) the PB278 gets about 17ms IIRC, while a 120Hz monitor is under 4 usually. What this means for you in game, mostly fps is that motion looks blurred and your actions on the controls take a little to happen on the screen. When I move my mouse cursor on 144Hz, it feels like I'm directly controlling the mouse whereas on the PB it's a little more disconnected. What you want is totally preference, I for one would gladly trade this responsiveness for the colors and hi-res of the PB278. Keep in mind 17ms is about a frame at 60FPS, you get used to it but it never quite goes away if you're into FPS.

Thanks for the detailed reply. 

Seeing as I am not into FPS(at least not on PC) I am quite prepared to make the trade off for the IPS/PLS panel :)

Does anyone have the PB278Q as well? I would be keen to hear what you guys and girls think about the monitor.....

To be straight up, it sucks. Bl2710PT any day.

"Rawr XD"

Hi

Nice little review: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15027-best-27-monitors-2014-2560x1440-ahva-ips-pls.html

I'm debating between the AOC or the BenQ myself. Both are $450 on amazon for US right now. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

To be straight up, it sucks. Bl2710PT any day.

Thanks for your response. That monitor you suggested does look very nice.

Besides the panel is there much difference between it and the PB278Q?

Forgive my ignorance but why would you want it to have USB ports? Aren't there enough USB ports on the tower of the PC?

Convenience factor. My tower sits on the floor, my monitor is right in front of me

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Thanks for your response. That monitor you suggested does look very nice.

Besides the panel is there much difference between it and the PB278Q?

Overall a much better monitor, as @Victor Yiu stated the differences very well.

"Rawr XD"

It's more so how the monitor feels. More input lag like someone mentioned means things don't feel quite as snappy as you might want

That and higher response times (GtG) can sometimes translate to things like motion blur. Again, the extent to which this bothers you may differ person to person

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM