NVIDIA and AMD are both working toward 8K resolution (7680x4320)

BiG StroOnZ

40597_01_nvidia_and_amd_are_both_working

PCGamesn.com talked with AMD's Chief Gaming Scientist, Richard Huddy, who said: "If we get to a display resolution of about 8k horizontally and about 6k vertically then, for a player with 20/20 vision, they will have something that is close to perfect for their visual system." After that, the human eye finds it hard to see any more detail on screen, which means we probably won't see a huge rush for 16K or 32K (can you even believe we're talking about resolutions this high?). Huddy continued: "That's about 48 million pixels to fill the field of view."

NVIDIA also had something to say about 8K, with the Head of GeForce GTX, Scott Herkelman saying: "8K, or anything above 4K is going to require multiple GPUs. 4K for most GPUs is pretty tough, the 980 handles it well but it's still one of those things that the more GPUs you have the better it looks." GPU horsepower isn't the only thing that needs to power the resolution, but imagine what kind of refresh rate is going to be there, and how much bandwidth DisplayPort, or whatever display connectivity is being used, is going to require.

Huddy thinks that 8K might be born from multi-screen setups, with between three and five monitors being used in conjunction with Radeon GPUs in Crossfire

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40597/nvidia-and-amd-are-both-working-toward-8k-resolution-or-7680x4320/index.html

Talks about 8K when we can't even drive 4K yet. Let's see what GM200 and the 390X brings, then talk about higher resolutions.

Pascal.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is why i'm not upgrading my 780's im waiting for Pascal (volta)

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Nice but they should focus on getting 4K mainstream first. 1080p60 is still pretty much the "standard", or even less for consoles. Even for desktop use only (no gaming), 4K is still not quite where it should be but close.

Yes. HEY COMPANIES: Work on getting 60+ hz out of 4k first, THEN move onto 8k.

yes! 

Also, High refresh rate IPS!!!

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Yes. HEY COMPANIES: Work on getting 60+ hz out of 4k first, THEN move onto 8k.

well if you can drive 8K@60Hz, it means you have the bandwith to drive 4K@240Hz, so dont worry ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

PLOT Twist: Miracle happens and we can drive 8K better than 1080p in 2015.

Imagine that.

haha you're funny!

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Kitguru also had an article on this and it says "The first consumer 8K displays could emerge three to four years from now" so 8K ready GPU's in 6 years.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-and-nvidia-already-preparing-for-8k-76804320-uhd-displays/

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

GPU power and new rendering techniques will make 8k possible. Enter foveated rendering

If we can get a single card to drive a 4k display at 60hz, than we'll need 4 of them to drive 8k at 60hz. I don't think that it's too terribly far off, maybe 1 or 2 more years before we see 4-way CFX/SLI 8k setups.

I'm excited for the day that I can get a screen big enough to fill my field of vision and not being able to distinguish the pixels.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Honestly we need this for oculus rift,  normal desktops should just stop @2160p  with a nice 144hz 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Honestly we need this for oculus rift,  normal desktops should just stop @2160p  with a nice 144hz 

Agreed. Everyone has both things in mind: 1-making better looking games by implementing new technologies and techniques, and/or increasing texture resolution, etc... 2-increasing resolutin But something we cannot do is both at the same time. The jump to 4k was kinda too high. 720p to 1080p doubled the resolution, while 4k is four times higher. If a 780 Ti/980 can not run, I don't know, Star Citizen when it comes out at 1080p, imagine in 4k. I prefer to see games getting better in the future instead of just jumping resolutions so early. I'd stick with 4k for 10 more years if I could. It's just good enough for desktop gaming. But as the Rift will need higher refresh rates etc, I'm not sure if it will be possible to have an 8k Rift model...

EDIT: forgot to say something

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

I can barely run GTA IV at 900p. I think they need to at least get more cheap 4k ready cards ( Maybe even 1080p too) before moving on to 8k, but maybe this could drive prices down. 

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

Maybe in 2017 when we will be apparently getting 10 nm transistors, when GPU's are FINALLY beast enough to drive 4K as easy as 1080P, THEN 8K. *cough* AMD & Nvidia *cough* 

I can barely run GTA IV at 900p. I think they need to at least get more cheap 4k ready cards ( Maybe even 1080p too) before moving on to 8k, but maybe this could drive prices down. 

GTA IV: One of the worst ports to PC that's so bad, Rockstar doesn't even know what is causing the problems.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

1-making better looking games by implementing new technologies and techniques, and/or increasing texture resolution, etc... 2-increasing resolutin But something we cannot do is both at the same time.

Actually there is no reason why we shouldn't have both because the companies that deal with resolutions are not the companies who deal with graphics, both souls be moving forward constantly

1080 became too ubiquitous and it almost bankrupted the TV industry because there was no reason to upgrade

Even if TV companies push 4k t won't stop graphics from improving.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

GTA IV: One of the worst ports to PC that's so bad, Rockstar doesn't even know what is causing the problems.

It's poorly optimized for PC. At the time when it came out, a Core Duo Quad had troubles running GTA 4. 

Thats nice and all, and I appreciate this, but how about sorting out 4K performance (even though 4K I/O is still not cheap) before making such stretch goals. 

FFS, my new monitors are sticking to the tried and true 1080p format till such a time that I get to have a 4K ProArt monitor in a size and price point that doesn't make my nope the hell away from a purchase.