i5 4670K upgrade to i7 4790K?

I have an i5 4670K overclocked to 4.4GHz and a GTX 780 ACX SC right now and I was thinking about upgrading to an i7 4790K. Would this have any significant impact in gaming? I am trying to make sure I can run games for the next few years without having a CPU bottleneck.

For gaming, no. The performance difference is negligible. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

It would have almost no impact on gaming. It would be WAY better to get another 780 than spend $300 on a 4790k if you're just gaming. 

That cpu will most likely not bottleneck single/dual card setups any time soon. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Games have a hard time taking use of SMT (hyper-threading), which is the only real difference (besides more L3 cache (which really doesn't do to much to gaming).

So no. You should not upgrade.

So just stick with my overclocked i5? 

Yes. If you need an upgrade, consider SLI'ing or waiting for the 980ti and 390X.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Stick with your current CPU.  Upgrading for gaming makes no sense.  i5 =/= i7 when at the same speed for all games except Watch Dogs.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

only watchdogs will bennefits from it, but thats all.

Battlefield 3/4 and Crysis 3 will too, but still doesn't justify upgrading from i5 to i7

"Rawr XD"

If you want to: edit videos quickly, 3D modelling, photo editing, compile code etc... then upgrade, for gaming however, you might only gain 1-2 fps.

Battlefield 3/4 and Crysis 3 will too, but still doesn't justify upgrading from i5 to i7

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/5

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/10

The only game that really benefits from an i5 to i7 is Watch Dogs.

In summation:

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yes it will gives you more gaming performance and the 4790K is the BEST gaming CPU ever made. I hope someone will try to counter that fact ahah But it will not gives you as much performance as spending that money on a better graphics and sell your GTX 780 for a descent price to help paying your new graphic card. (GTX 970 or GTX 980 if can afford it, it's *%$%&?% BEAST of a graphic card.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

If money isn't object I say do it, I upgraded from 3770K to 4790K myself and if you want, feel free to write me a list of your actual PC parts here so I could make MY recommendations about what you could improve for the long run as I did with mine.

Just to give you a chance to believe how unbiased and logical I'm, I've upgraded from 3770K to 4790K for those reasons :

Haswell architecture is way snapier
Rendering is way faster on 4790K then 3770K (both are i7 yes but still have major difference for rendering not really that much for gaming)
Upgraded TIM, the way the die make contact with the heatspreader gives my 4790K in my setup a 45 C max on 100% usage when I render videos
But I haven't switched to X79/X99 even I render videos because I render usage is about 5% of my PC usage so I prefered the Superior gaming performance of the 4790K over the X79/X99 platform

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

If money isn't object I say do it, I upgraded from 3770K to 4790K myself and if you want, feel free to write me a list of your actual PC parts here so I could make MY recommendations about what you could improve for the long run as I did with mine.

Just to give you a chance to believe how unbiased and logical I'm, I've upgraded from 3770K to 4790K for those reasons :

Haswell architecture is way snapier

Rendering is way faster on 4790K then 3770K (both are i7 yes but still have major difference for rendering not really that much for gaming)

Upgraded TIM, the way the die make contact with the heatspreader gives my 4790K in my setup a 45 C max on 100% usage when I render videos

But I haven't switched to X79/X99 even I render videos because I render usage is about 5% of my PC usage so I prefered the Superior gaming performance of the 4790K over the X79/X99 platform

These are my full specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4670K OC to 4.4
GPU: GTX 780 SC
RAM: Crucial Technology 8GB DDR3
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

So just stick with my overclocked i5? 

Yes, or if you still really want an i7 at least wait until the top-end Broadwell i7 is released, since it will use the same socket and chipset. It still probably won't be worth the upgrade cost for gaming, though.

Yes it will gives you more gaming performance and the 4790K is the BEST gaming CPU ever made. I hope someone will try to counter that fact ahah But it will not gives you as much performance as spending that money on a better graphics and sell your GTX 780 for a descent price to help paying your new graphic card. (GTX 970 or GTX 980 if can afford it, it's *%$%&?% BEAST of a graphic card.

Without even knowing what games he plays, actually there are a handful of games that are better on i7's, you recommended him to upgrade his 4670K. Great. @Op get a 5960x, it's the BEST gaming CPU ever made >.>

So yeah, change your graphic cards first then change your CPU for 4790K, your motherboard might support it with a BIOS update, contact Gigabyte just to make sure before you buy the processor. Then I would change your motherboard for a Z97 like Maximus VII Hero, then I would change your RAM for someting like 2 x 8 Corsair Dominator Plantium DDR3 1866mhz. You don't have to go through this update path but by looking at your parts this what I would do, myself I bet on my 4790K setup for the long run, Intel shown that owning a i7 mainstream gives you the edge in gaming for over 4 years now and that any mainstream i7 all get the same gaming performance edge too. I expect to see next mainstream i7 to come with more expensive DDR4 slots that don't give anything benefits to gaming anyway.

For gaming it's not, it's the i7 4790K.

For gaming it's not, it's the i7 4790K.

O fuck off.. Theres zero reasons to upgrade to a 4790K from a 4670k.

You should get better by not simply repeating what others says. Do you know why I picked the H105 and not the H100i that almost everybody recommend ?

Do you know why I picked the H105 and not the H100i that almost everybody recommend ?

Nobody is listening to you.

So yeah, change your graphic cards first then change your CPU for 4790K, your motherboard might support it with a BIOS update, contact Gigabyte just to make sure before you buy the processor. Then I would change your motherboard for a Z97 like Maximus VII Hero, then I would change your RAM for someting like 2 x 8 Corsair Dominator Plantium DDR3 1866mhz. You don't have to go through this update path but by looking at your parts this what I would do, myself I bet on my 4790K setup for the long run, Intel shown that owning a i7 mainstream gives you the edge in gaming for over 4 years now and that any mainstream i7 all get the same gaming performance edge too. I expect to see next mainstream i7 to come with more expensive DDR4 slots that don't give anything benefits to gaming anyway.

Most of your recommendations come off as sarcastic. Its important to not use sarcasm without being apparent to others who are trying to upgrade. Intentionally giving them bad advice is against CoC anyways.

Don't be mad here.