Phone software, Phone brands and why you like them!

the pokemon kid

I wanted to find out a few things people think about some of the current phones on the market, mainly:

What software do you prefer? (IOS, Android, Windows, other.)

What phone Brand do you prefer?

Why are they swayed by that brand?

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? 

What specific phone do you like from that manufacturer?

What are you hoping for the future of phones?

Lets see what you guys think!

OnePlus One its cheap

Android its awesome 

I am a happy wuffy

What software do you prefer? Android

What phone Brand do you prefer? OnePlus

Why are they swayed by that brand? Cheap, very good quality

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? Same specs, better design, cheaper

What specific phone do you like from that manufacturer? The OnePlus One

What are you hoping for the future of phones? More of the same as far as the OnePlus One but upgraded, in short the OnePlus Two

But what exactly makes android awesome compared to IOS and windows?

I see a lot of people throwing around that it is better, but why?

More options, open.

Might go better in the phone section.

Android, Sony, feature set, battery life & waterproof, Z3 Compact, I hope they stop getting bigger.

What software do you prefer?

Android

HTC

The build quality is awesome and I like how transparent the company has become with updates.

Front facing speakers and build quality.

HTC One M7/M8.

Going back to removable batteries. As much as I love my HTC One, The next phone I get will have a replaceable battery. I buy my phones unsubsidised and I don't like how I can already see a battery life decrease compared to a year ago (not that it's abysmal).

I could write an essay on this.

I prefer iOS (Preferably jailbroken) because I love the consistency between apps and throughout the OS in general. Apple has strict guidelines on how apps should function and moreover how they should perform certain tasks. Through my experience with Android, visual glitches, crashes, inconsistency between apps in terms of controls (Some apps require the back button to be pressed to go back and some have an icon at the top nav bar for example). I like the minimalistic feel of the OS. Back buttons on android are completely unnecessary which is why Apple removed all but 1 button when the first iPhone came out.

I could go on forever, but it's little nitpicks that really throw me to iOS.

I prefer Apple and HTC.

They are the only two phone manufacturers that I have found to truly put consideration into the build quality in phones, which coming from an Apple background I've been made to believe is the right thing.  If I'm going to put a bunch of money into a phone I want to make sure it's going to last, that it's been made with true love and passion for the consumer (Just like a musical instrument which are made the same way)

It's obvious Apple has the biggest App market than any other online store but that's not my main reason. I feel build quality and adding features that the consumer really wants is what HTC have started to do recently. Apple has been doing it a long time, I still feel Apple have a huge advantage in terms of market share and other popularity and social factors.

Apple with the iPhone, HTC with the One M8 and that's the only phone I like from HTC.

Apple need to stop with the feature drain (What's the real term for this? Please help! It's driving me nuts!) and truly start innovating again. The iPhone 6 was a major disappoint and I really feel like they're losing the grip of leading the market. With HTC I feel like the front facing speakers should make an appearance in /every/ phone. 3D cameras and a new file format to support viewing 3D pictures natively on all devices (like jpg) needs to happen. Don't steal my idea plz

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

iOS

Apple

iPhones always looked like a premium product from when it was released

People will buy regardless, higher quality products

iPhone 6+

Less flexibility ;)

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? Same specs, better design, cheaper
What are you hoping for the future of phones? More of the same as far as the OnePlus One but upgraded, in short the OnePlus Two

Well this to be honest :lol:

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

What software do you prefer?

Android

HTC

The build quality is awesome and I like how transparent the company has become with updates.

Front facing speakers and build quality.

HTC One M7/M8.

Going back to removable batteries. As much as I love my HTC One, The next phone I get will have a replaceable battery. I buy my phones unsubsidised and I don't like how I can already see a battery life decrease compared to a year ago (not that it's abysmal).

I am a HTC M8 owner and I can agree to a lot of these. The ability to remove the battery is something that a lot of phone manufacturers dont allow. I can understand with the HTC M8 because of the build quality.

How does the build quality compared to a Note 3/4 or a HTC one M8 or Iphone 5/6.

I could write an essay on this.

I prefer iOS (Preferably jailbroken) because I love the consistency between apps and throughout the OS in general. Apple has strict guidelines on how apps should function and moreover how they should perform certain tasks. Through my experience with Android, visual glitches, crashes, inconsistency between apps in terms of controls (Some apps require the back button to be pressed to go back and some have an icon at the top nav bar for example). I like the minimalistic feel of the OS. Back buttons on android are completely unnecessary which is why Apple removed all but 1 button when the first iPhone came out.

I could go on forever, but it's little nitpicks that really throw me to iOS.

I prefer Apple and HTC.

They are the only two phone manufacturers that I have found to truly put consideration into the build quality in phones, which coming from an Apple background I've been made to believe is the right thing.  If I'm going to put a bunch of money into a phone I want to make sure it's going to last, that it's been made with true love and passion for the consumer (Just like a musical instrument which are made the same way)

It's obvious Apple has the biggest App market than any other online store but that's not my main reason. I feel build quality and adding features that the consumer really wants is what HTC have started to do recently. Apple has been doing it a long time, I still feel Apple have a huge advantage in terms of market share and other popularity and social factors.

Apple with the iPhone, HTC with the One M8 and that's the only phone I like from HTC.

Apple need to stop with the feature drain (What's the real term for this? Please help! It's driving me nuts!) and truly start innovating again. The iPhone 6 was a major disappoint and I really feel like they're losing the grip of leading the market. With HTC I feel like the front facing speakers should make an appearance in /every/ phone. 3D cameras and a new file format to support viewing 3D pictures natively on all devices (like jpg) needs to happen. Don't steal my idea plz

I think that the google app store needs to be tightened up in regards to apps. It is a real swamp of the good, the bad and the ugly of apps. If they fix this I think that Apple will really need to step up their game. My girlfriend and her friend always say the same thing to me when I have asked which is that the software is pretty seamless and the apps have a consistent feel.

What about the HTC M7? It is a very nice phone! 

My mate a little while ago bought the phone with the 3D camera. The actual 3D wasn't amazing but interesting none the less. For me, having optical zoom rather than digital zoom would be nice to see on phones! Will increase the photo quality by a substantial amount and would also mean there is one less thing to walk around with!

iOS

Apple

iPhones always looked like a premium product from when it was released

People will buy regardless, higher quality products

iPhone 6+

Less flexibility ;)

Do you think that other manufacturers have caught up apple with regards to the premium looking product? (mainly looking at the HTC one M8 and galaxy note phones)

More flexibity would be nice, as long as it doesnt break the phone at all...

I am a HTC M8 owner and I can agree to a lot of these. The ability to remove the battery is something that a lot of phone manufacturers dont allow. I can understand with the HTC M8 because of the build quality.

How does the build quality compared to a Note 3/4 or a HTC one M8 or Iphone 5/6.

I think that the google app store needs to be tightened up in regards to apps. It is a real swamp of the good, the bad and the ugly of apps.

What about the HTC M7? It is a very nice phone! 

My mate a little while ago bought the phone with the 3D camera. The actual 3D wasn't amazing but interesting none the less. For me, having optical zoom rather than digital zoom would be nice to see on phones! Will increase the photo quality by a substantial amount and would also mean there is one less thing to walk around with!

Do you think that other manufacturers have caught up apple with regards to the premium looking product? (mainly looking at the HTC one M8 and galaxy note phones)

Very good. It is still plastic but is very robust. No bending and I have dropped it more then once and it is still going strong. even on concrete. It doesn't have the one m8 feel but looks very nice and holds up well. Against the s4 it just dominates. 

What software do you prefer? Blackberry OS 10

What phone Brand do you prefer? Blackberry

Why are they swayed by that brand? I don't really like google because of privacy concerns and the NSA.

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? Some better features especially email and productivity.

What are you hoping for the future of phones? better battery tech. more security.

What software do you prefer? - Android.

What phone Brand do you prefer? - Whichever offer the best specs for a reasonable price and can be modded with cyanogen at the time or has vanilla Android OS.

Why are they swayed by that brand? - Specs, price, mod capability.

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? Same as above.

What specific phone do you like from that manufacturer? Same as above.

What are you hoping for the future of phones? Would honestly love a full fledge x86 processor, so it can have Linux or windows OS on a phone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

cyanogen mod is my preferred mobile os. I have no real brand preference though.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What phone Brand do you prefer? Nokia (although i love my S4)

Why are they swayed by that brand? indestructability

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? you cant break it

What specific phone do you like from that manufacturer? Nokia 3310

What are you hoping for the future of phones? battery life

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

HTC = Yes

Samsung = No, it's the plastic that makes it look cheap.

What software do you prefer? Blackberry OS 10

What phone Brand do you prefer? Blackberry

Why are they swayed by that brand? I don't really like google because of privacy concerns and the NSA.

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? Some better features especially email and productivity.

What are you hoping for the future of phones? better battery tech. more security.

Well I am very suprised to see a blackberry user. Im not saying that they are a bad phone but they have decreased in popularity recently because of only sticking to be a business style phone.

Surely blackberry will have the same problems with the NSA which Google would have...

I guess blackberry are really selling productivity for their phones. However, dont you find most phones out currently do what blackberry do and they do it better?

Very good. It is still plastic but is very robust. No bending and I have dropped it more then once and it is still going strong. even on concrete. It doesn't have the one m8 feel but looks very nice and holds up well. Against the s4 it just dominates. 

I think if I were to drop my HTC M8 it would survive a few drops, I think that most phones should be drop tested by reviewers to be able to see how strong the phone is. Almost all of my friends have dropped their phone.

What software do you prefer? - Android.

What phone Brand do you prefer? - Whichever offer the best specs for a reasonable price and can be modded with cyanogen at the time or has vanilla Android OS.

Why are they swayed by that brand? - Specs, price, mod capability.

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? Same as above.

What specific phone do you like from that manufacturer? Same as above.

What are you hoping for the future of phones? Would honestly love a full fledge x86 processor, so it can have Linux or windows OS on a phone.

Why do you feel cyanogen mod is so good? I understand that it is good, but dont you feel that current OS's have caught up with what cyanogen was really trying to market towards?

Would you not need a larger scale screen to accomidate for a version of windows?

What phone Brand do you prefer? Nokia (although i love my S4)

Why are they swayed by that brand? indestructability

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? you cant break it

What specific phone do you like from that manufacturer? Nokia 3310

What are you hoping for the future of phones? battery life

I can say that the Nokia 3310 would tick most boxes for you. The battery lasts a millennia and it creates a crater in the floor when dropped. The only thing you have to worry about is, are the rest of thing in your life strong enough to accommodate for the 3310.

Well I am very suprised to see a blackberry user. Im not saying that they are a bad phone but they have decreased in popularity recently because of only sticking to be a business style phone.

Surely blackberry will have the same problems with the NSA which Google would have...

I guess blackberry are really selling productivity for their phones. However, dont you find most phones out currently do what blackberry do and they do it better?

I think if I were to drop my HTC M8 it would survive a few drops, I think that most phones should be drop tested by reviewers to be able to see how strong the phone is. Almost all of my friends have dropped their phone.

Why do you feel cyanogen mod is so good? I understand that it is good, but dont you feel that current OS's have caught up with what cyanogen was really trying to market towards?

Would you not need a larger scale screen to accomidate for a version of windows?

I can say that the Nokia 3310 would tick most boxes for you. The battery lasts a millennia and it creates a crater in the floor when dropped. The only thing you have to worry about is, are the rest of thing in your life strong enough to accommodate for the 3310.

I have yet to see the hub be integrated into another OS which is a very very powerful being able to: text, send, fb messages, BBM, email, make calls and more withouth having to open an app but just swiping to the left on the home screen or up and to the left inside an app is a thing I would miss.

Software:

Android with the Cyanogen skin, this skin allows for a really clean looking OS. Android also offers great functionality and customizability.

Brand:

Oneplus

Why are they swayed by that brand?:

Because of the unbeatable price/performance ratio the Oneplus offers. Also how clean this phone looks compared to others, like it has no front facing logo's, flat call speaker, (pretty much) bloatware-free OS and unique back cover materials. Really clean looking phone in general. Oneplus also doesn't mind people rooting their phones, meaning it won't void the warranty.

Advantages of this brand:

Like mentioned before, cheap, clean and they don't remove your warranty when you root your phone.

Phone i like:

One, not much to choose from for now.

Future of phones:

I hope Oneplus will consider front facing speakers (good chance as they've partnered with JBL), SD-card support and some minor fixes as well.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

-snip-

my old nokia 3310 still works to this day, although i dont use it.  personally i love cyanogenmod over stock android cuz it actually lets me customize the phone, and pull those stupid preinstalled apps that are always running in the background even after you kill it, off my phone completely. not to mention weekly(or even nightly) updates so i dont have to wait forever to get the newest patches. also, my phone wont stop getting supported. i wont suddenly not be able to get the latest version of android.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Android

I use a Samsung Gnex but I prefer Motorola phones (even if it's just the two moto Xs)

The near stock experience, added Motorola features, and the customizability of the device.

Quicker updates considering there is basically no skin and the added features.

Moto x (2014 specifically)

Improved battery life and camera performance.

What software do you prefer? Android, especially cyanogenmod

What phone Brand do you prefer? HTC and sony

Why are they swayed by that brand? Focus on audio from HTC, and focus on high quality design for both HTC and Sony

What they think this brands advantages over their competitors are? Audio, design

What specific phone do you like from that manufacturer? One m7 from HTC, due to design, z3 from Sony use to waterproofing and design

What are you hoping for the future of phones? Not trying to make 7" phones.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Why do you feel cyanogen mod is so good? I understand that it is good, but dont you feel that current OS's have caught up with what cyanogen was really trying to market towards?

It's not that I feel Cyanogen is good, it's that some vendor include so much junk in Android that in the end, it hardly feel like Androird and also that quite a few of them stop sending out updates when their new flagship phone is released, while Cyanogen is always being updated.

As for windows, yeah, screen size issue... I wouldn't mind trading the desktop for the modern UI on a touch screen device and if it was 7inch or so, meaning not on a phone but a tablet. 12inch surface is too big, might as well get a proper laptop at that point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

LG, because I like their button layout, form factor, and the fact it doesn't use metal, but it doesn't feel like shit plastic

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8