High Quality Video Playback On Windows

Opcode

I myself like to use the sharpen shader to give vids that extra pop.  It all depends on personal preference.  With PotPlayer the sky is the limit.  Also, it gets frequent updates for new features and bug fixes.

look!!  I'm not enforcing you to use it, you can use whatever you feel comfortable with.  I for one will never look at another media player.

the only other media player I use is vlc to stream youtube videos.  Potplayer can do it also but not as reliable yet.

Zoomplayer is also very good but not as good or as feature rich as potplayer.

I myself like to use the sharpen shader to give vids that extra pop.  It all depends on personal preference.  With PotPlayer the sky is the limit.  Also, it gets frequent updates for new features and bug fixes.

look!!  I'm not enforcing you to use it, you can use whatever you feel comfortable with.  I for one will never look at another media player.

the only other media player I use is vlc to stream youtube videos.  Potplayer can do it also but not as reliable yet.

Zoomplayer is also very good but not as good or as feature rich as potplayer.

Why not just watch youtube video on youtube?

• 3 months later...

Glad I have switched to this from VLC, now to convince my Dad to do the same as well as the video quality is so much nicer.

Try the same settings with K-Likte codec with MPC-HC, much better and causal UI.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

• 3 months later...

Hm, interesting guide. I'm not sure if VLC has improved since the release of this guide but I do think its DXVA 2.0 hardware decoder is disabled by default (at least of my system) because when I enabled it manually, my cpu usage shot down and saw more gpu activity in CCC's "Performace -> Amd's Overdrive" section when running some higher-res videos encoded at 60 fps. Video "output" is set on "automatic." I'm afraid I don't watch much cgi movies.

Again for reference I have an XFX r9-280 and to enable DXVA 2.0, it's under: interface -> (simple) preferences -> input/codecs tab -> hardware-accelerated decoding (first option), manually select "DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) 2.0". Click save and then restart VLC.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

-snip-

Do you have a side by side comparison of the SAME file on vlc and this thing, i highly doubt theres much difference if any tbh if its the exact same file. VLC is no slouch.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

Do you have a side by side comparison of the SAME file on vlc and this thing, i highly doubt theres much difference if any tbh if its the exact same file. VLC is no slouch.

Actually VLC has gone through some iterations since then and DXVA 2.0 probably wasn't even a thing back then in the preferences. I'd also be interested in an update. @Opcode

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Derp, couldn't firgure out why @OP wasn't working until I saw this:

Don't know when he was banned. Oh well.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Derp, couldn't firgure out why "@OP" wasn't working until I saw this:

attachicon.giflel-banned.png

Ha lol. Well I guess check the link in my sig for MPC-HC and madVR related stuff.

Don't know when he was banned. Oh well.

I'm not surprised with some stuff I saw posted every now and then but to get banned you really have to almost try...

And I thought people using VLC were part of the Cool Kids Club; I will test this right away. Thanks for the tutorial!  :D

And I thought people using VLC were part of the Cool Kids Club; I will test this right away. Thanks for the tutorial!  :D

Don't follow the guide. Just download the Kawaii Codec Pack and install that. The end result is exactly the same but instead of dicking around installing everything separately you get everything in a neat package.

Actually KCP is even better because the test build includes XySubFilter which is far better than the internal subtitle renderer in MPC-HC (which is what this guide uses).

Download link here: HaruhiChan.com

Don't follow the guide. Just download the Kawaii Codec Pack and install that. The end result is exactly the same but instead of dicking around installing everything separately you get everything in a neat package.

Actually KCP is even better because the test build includes XySubFilter which is far better than the internal subtitle renderer in MPC-HC (which is what this guide uses).

Download link here: HaruhiChan.com

#TrustNoOne and use my guide in my sig and yes I know im being contradictory! :P:D

Just installed the MPC-BE and madVR and LavFilters as suggested in this posting..... HOLY CRAP!!!!! I have been an AVID and rather LOUD and OBNOXIOUS proponent of VLC for many years. After installing these and then running VLC and MPC-BE side by side watching an HD movie I have - I will NEVER ever ever go back to VLC.... Don't get me wrong - vlc has been great for me for years - but now that I have a half way decent computer and some good monitors (tv's with pc inputs (HDMI) actually - MPC-BE just blows VLC clean out of the park.... Sorry VLC - you have been dumped - right out of the moving car onto the concrete.....

NOw I will be specific - lol - MPC-BE is flat out hands down a better video player for HD than VLC - I thought the HD looked good before - man it is so clear and crisp compared to VLC....

Thanks to the original poster Opcode.... wish there was a way to give points or something for this.... I liked it anyway....

Hm, interesting guide. I'm not sure if VLC has improved since the release of this guide but I do think its DXVA 2.0 hardware decoder is disabled by default (at least of my system) because when I enabled it manually, my cpu usage shot down and saw more gpu activity in CCC's "Performace -> Amd's Overdrive" section when running some higher-res videos encoded at 60 fps. Video "output" is set on "automatic." I'm afraid I don't watch much cgi movies.

Again for reference I have an XFX r9-280 and to enable DXVA 2.0, it's under: interface -> (simple) preferences -> input/codecs tab -> hardware-accelerated decoding (first option), manually select "DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) 2.0". Click save and then restart VLC.

/me revives 4 month old thread, siq necro

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -