High Quality Video Playback On Windows

Opcode

While we're on the topic, how do you guys feel about madVR + SVP? Does that work out well or is playback too filled with artifacts? I was thinking about trying it since I'm going to reinstall soon anyway.

Mildly paranoid because I don't see many people try that, and the setup and troubleshooting to getting things working perfectly is magnitudes more difficult.

Error: 410

While we're on the topic, how do you guys feel about madVR + SVP? Does that work out well or is playback too filled with artifacts? I was thinking about trying it since I'm going to reinstall soon anyway.

Mildly paranoid because I don't see many people try that, and the setup and troubleshooting to getting things working perfectly is magnitudes more difficult.

I dont like it, it's a perfect example of the soap opera effect being detrimental.  MadVR has it's own "smooth video playback" feature, but it's definitely more subdued so I use it.  You can make it turn on at multiples of your refresh rate or always on.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

• 2 months later...

Updated the guide to include the following.

• MPC-BE updated to final 1.4.3 build (5854).
  • madVR updated to 0.87.14.
  • LAV Filters updated to 0.64.

Also fixed the guide for the new version of MPC-BE (since I'm back on Windows).

First, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time and effort to put together this guide. I followed the tutroial exactly as you have shown but for some reason video playback is laggy for me. Would this be the fault of my old hardware?

First, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time and effort to put together this guide. I followed the tutroial exactly as you have shown but for some reason video playback is laggy for me. Would this be the fault of my old hardware?

Please post the specs of the hardware in question.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

What are you using for the decoder LAV Filters?

What are you using for the decoder LAV Filters?

What do you mean by this? Where would I find this information? (My apologies, I'm new to this stuff.)

What do you mean by this? Where would I find this information? (My apologies, I'm new to this stuff.)

In my main post under "Step 4 - Configuring LAV Filters".

In my main post under "Step 4 - Configuring LAV Filters".

I have "DXVA2 (copy-back)" selected.

I have "DXVA2 (copy-back)" selected.

Try changing it to DXVA2(native) as your card isn't fast enough for DXVA2(copy-back).

Try changing it to DXVA2(native) as your card isn't fast enough for DXVA2(copy-back).

I've changed it and the problem still occurs. I just noticed that it makes my whole computer laggy as well, not just the video.

I've changed it and the problem still occurs. I just noticed that it makes my whole computer laggy as well, not just the video.

What are you trying to play back? 1080p content? What is your CPU and GPU usage during playback? You can use task manager and GPU-Z to check. Also I noticed in your screenshot above that your GPU is running at 79C? Is this under any load?

What are you trying to play back? 1080p content? What is your CPU and GPU usage during playback? You can use task manager and GPU-Z to check. Also I noticed in your screenshot above that your GPU is running at 79C? Is this under any load?

I've tried playing back both 720p and 1080p content, 1080p making it worse. It is not under any load. Unfortunately. This is around normal temperature for me. Screenshot taken while playing Fury 1080p.

GwKALgZ.png

I've tried playing back both 720p and 1080p content, 1080p making it worse. It is not under any load. Unfortunately. This is around normal temperature for me. Screenshot taken while playing Fury 1080p.

- snip -

So when trying to play a video have you shut everything down such as video games? What are your loads with just MPC-BE open and running.

So when trying to play a video have you shut everything down such as video games? What are your loads with just MPC-BE open and running.

I have shut everything down, the only other program I had open in the last screenshot was Foobar2000. In the screenshot below I have that shutdown as well. And I don't have games running because they don't work well on my PC. I also haven't had this issue with GOM Player or VLC.

Screenshot of only Task Manager, System Exploer's System Information, GPU-Z, and MPC-BE.

9TNxgse.png

That is what the picture looks like on nearly every file I try.

I have shut everything down, the only other program I had open in the last screenshot was Foobar2000. In the screenshot below I have that shutdown as well. And I don't have games running because they don't work well on my PC. I also haven't had this issue with GOM Player or VLC.

Screenshot of only Task Manager, System Exploer's System Information, GPU-Z, and MPC-BE.

- snip -

That is what the picture looks like on nearly every file I try.

It looks like your GPU might not be strong enough for handling madVR.

It looks like your GPU might not be strong enough for handling madVR.

I see. In that case I'd like to thank you for taking your time to try and help me solve this issue. It was very kind of you to do so. You have a great tutorial as well. Thank you.

I see. In that case I'd like to thank you for taking your time to try and help me solve this issue. It was very kind of you to do so. You have a great tutorial as well. Thank you.

No problem, too bad it doesn't run smoothly on your machine as the color quality among sharpness is much better than other offerings. Tho accoring to your screenshot GPU-Z is reporting your GPU Load to be peaking 97-99% which leads me to believe that its hitting a performance wall. I know you probably hear it a lot but maybe it's time to upgrade :P

Also you may still be able to get it to work if you toy with madVR's "trade quality for performance" settings.

15-quality-performanc1iuo5.png

very likely could be due to madVR as its basically like rendering a game.

@NerdBasket i would say the the issue is the 8500 GT that your usuing as it just doesnt have the horsepower for madVR.

I would turn on everything you can in madVR that will increase performance. I recommend something like the GT 430 at a minimum, if not higher now that NNEDI has been added.

Pot player already provides me best quality. No need for this, but thx for article anyway.

amen brother....amen!!!! 

Pot Player plus Lav and MadVR produce sublime picture quality surpassing the likes of OPPO blu-ray player and high end media players

Pot Player internal filters and decoder are ok for the uninitiated , but it's nowhere near as good without LAV and MADVr

activating NNEID x2 upscale gives 3 dimensionality to videos but you need gpu horsepower for a smooth playback.  Once I upgrade my current gpu(gtx 670 4gb) to probably pascal next year,  I will increase NNEID upscale to x4

amen brother....amen!!!! 

Pot Player plus Lav and MadVR produce sublime picture quality surpassing the likes of OPPO blu-ray player and high end media players

Pot Player internal filters and decoder are ok for the uninitiated , but it's nowhere near as good without LAV and MADVr

activating NNEID x2 upscale gives 3 dimensionality to videos but you need gpu horsepower for a smooth playback.  Once I upgrade my current gpu(gtx 670 4gb) to probably pascal next year,  I will increase NNEID upscale to x4

then thats LAV and madVR, not Pot Player. At that point its just the GUI, but thats the case with any DirectShow player.

then thats LAV and madVR, not Pot Player. At that point its just the GUI, but thats the case with any DirectShow player.

pot player has a plethora of built in shaders you can use to optimize the vid quality even further.

pot player has a plethora of built in shaders you can use to optimize the vid quality even further.

So explain to me what other filters are needed as when it comes to rendering madVR pretty much has yo ucover and even includes many that you would even use for encoding. Also if need MPC-HC can read avisynth scripts and then the sky's the limit on what you can do. Though you need to be careful as it wont be long before you cant render in real time.