New film maker

Hi,

I am wanting to buy a budget mirrorless camera for videos. The price range is around $300 us. I am wanting at least 1080p video. I have been looking at the Pentax Q and q7, Panasonic gf3, Sony Nex c3 and a few Olympus. What's the best? Are there other good ones around $300?

Thanks

Hi,

I am wanting to buy a budget mirrorless camera for videos. The price range is around $300 us. I am wanting at least 1080p video. I have been looking at the Pentax Q and q7, Panasonic gf3, Sony Nex c3 and a few Olympus. What's the best? Are there other good ones around $300?

Thanks

Here's a list of entry-level mirrorless cameras you can look through. 

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9961962217/entry-level-mirrorless-camera-roundup-2013

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Hi,

Thanks

I'd probably recommend the Sony a5000, but it's a little over your target at $350 (used) with kit lens http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-Interchangeable-Camera-16-50mm/dp/B00HNJWU3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413338473&sr=8-1&keywords=a5000

Would be worth it IMO

I'd probably recommend the Sony a5000, but it's a little over your target at $350 (used) with kit lens http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-Interchangeable-Camera-16-50mm/dp/B00HNJWU3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413338473&sr=8-1&keywords=a5000

Would be worth it IMO

That one looks good, I really like the flip up screen. I was looking at the Pentax Q. How's that one?

That one looks good, I really like the flip up screen. I was looking at the Pentax Q. How's that one?

Full disclaimer: I'm a massive fan of Pentax so there's going to be some bias here, but I'll be honest.

The camera is quite good, but I wouldn't recommend it as a primary video camera. If you were doing more stills photography or if camera size is a primary concern then I would recommend it well enough. If you do go that route then get the Q7 as it has a slightly larger sensor than the original Q and Q10, so better low light performance at the expense of crop factor magnification.

I would probably recommend a NEX, for that budget or GF3

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If you're doing this for film making, save up a bit more. Just enough to get a external microphone setup. I presume the microphone on whichever camera you get will just be terrible.

How's the fujifilm xa1?

I think it's a pretty good entry level camera, and from the advances fujifilm have made in the mirrorless market they seem like a good long term option too. Also a big bonus by having an APS-C sensor in such a small body. One negative though, the battery life does leave a lot to be desired, which will definitely affect how long you can use the video mode (this may be true for any camera choices at your price point).

I'd still recommend the xa1, but also again full disclosure, I do own and am a big fan of fujifilm cameras.

I think it's a pretty good entry level camera, and from the advances fujifilm have made in the mirrorless market they seem like a good long term option too. Also a big bonus by having an APS-C sensor in such a small body. One negative though, the battery life does leave a lot to be desired, which will definitely affect how long you can use the video mode (this may be true for any camera choices at your price point).

I'd still recommend the xa1, but also again full disclosure, I do own and am a big fan of fujifilm cameras.

How about the Canon m? What's better for the money, Canon m, the Pentax Q or q7, sony(the one you said) or the fujifilm xa1?

How about the Canon m? What's better for the money, Canon m, the Pentax Q or q7, sony(the one you said) or the fujifilm xa1?

I'd probably lean towards the a5000 if you're doing more video than still photography, and the xa1 if you're doing more still photography than video.

I'd only consider the Q7 if small size what your main purchasing factor. Don't know much about the Canon M, but I do remember there being a lot of complaints about it's poor autofocus. I'd disregard it when put side by side with the sony a5000 and fujifilm xa1.

EDIT: Have you considered getting a more dedicated video camera? Perhaps a GoPro?

I'd probably lean towards the a5000 if you're doing more video than still photography, and the xa1 if you're doing more still photography than video.

I'd only consider the Q7 if small size what your main purchasing factor. Don't know much about the Canon M, but I do remember there being a lot of complaints about it's poor autofocus. I'd disregard it when put side by side with the sony a5000 and fujifilm xa1.

EDIT: Have you considered getting a more dedicated video camera? Perhaps a GoPro?

Can you use a gopro as a dedicated camera?

Yep, you can use a GoPro as a still camera. You can find a few examples of photos taken here https://www.flickr.com/cameras/gopro/hero3plus_black_edition/

Be aware that you'll be stuck at a single focal length though.

Does the Sony or Pentax or gopro have a mic in? And for the gopro, would I always get a fish eye image? And is there a screen for the gopro

Does the Sony or Pentax or gopro have a mic in? And for the gopro, would I always get a fish eye image? And is there a screen for the gopro

It seems none of the cameras you mentioned have a mic in, only inbuilt mics.

Yep, you would get a fisheye look on the gopro, but there is software to do lens corrections to try and eliminate it. And you can buy and lcd attachment for the gopro to get a screen.