New help choosing new headphones.

bringtherain

trying to decide on a new pair of headphones / headset.

My current setup is:

1. Logitech G930 (meh)

2. Superlux HD668B paired with a vmoda boom pro mic taped (yes taped) to the side. Reason being that the detachable end of the 668b's is a male and a coupler makes the mic sit too low and swings like a monkey reaching for a banana.

I currently have the option to pick up a used PC350SE for around $60-$70 and was thinking of selling the g930 to do this. I'm not sure if its just a combination of bad firmware/software and the g930 just not working properly but picking up sounds is no where NEAR as good as what people have led me to think when I first bought it. This fact was made apparently when I first got my 668b.

The other option is to buy a hyperx cloud due to linus's raving review of the thing.

Next is the takstar hi 2050.

Last but not least is to pick up a hd558 used for $80 or new for $100.

I'm not sure if its just the fact that I don't like the closed back design or if its just the g930. I remember loving the creative hs800 so much that I bought a second after the first one broke and I believe those were closed back.

The current main setup that i've forsaken (superlux) for the g930 is because its super freaking uncomfortable.

Anyone with experiences with at least 2 of the listed cans please chime in for advice. It's too hard to gain insight when most users have only had experience with one or the other.

TLDR:

Upgrading from g930 and superlux 668b

options:

takstar hi 2050

pc350se

hyperx cloud

hd558

The current main setup that i've forsaken (superlux) for the g930 is because its super freaking uncomfortable.

I have the G35 (Wired version of the G930) and it's so damn comfy for me O_o. I don't know why it's so uncomfortable for you.

Really the HyperX cloud lives up to its name. Impeccable headset/headphones for the price, great noise isolation and a detachable mic. It's a great headset but you must be warned, Linus already mentioned it too, it's still a tad on the bass heavy side though the mids and highs are still pretty good. I tried the PC350 but they were super uncomfortable for me and the mic was incredibly bad so I returned them. The HD558 and Takstar I cannot judge. If I were to recommend one of these I would recommend the HyperX cloud

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Just a suggestion, pick something from Sennheiser, even Linus said he still likes his Sennheiser headphones (Although I forgot what it was, but it was in the video where he reviews the Siberia something from Steelseries)

Me, personally, I'd go with a Sennheiser Urbanite, around $200. Why $200? because Sennheiser.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Just a suggestion, pick something from Sennheiser, even Linus said he still likes his Sennheiser headphones (Although I forgot what it was, but it was in the video where he reviews the Siberia something from Steelseries)

Me, personally, I'd go with a Sennheiser Urbanite, around $200. Why $200? because Sennheiser.

sennheiser has by far best costomer support and great build quality

but that doesnt mean that headphones actually sound well, especially low end stuff

For 200$ there are much better options out there.

listing his heaphones, he has under 100$ i presume so i would say

get Superlux 681 EVO, the one that comes with extra velour pads ( new stock ) and get mod mic or something. you could also try velcro or sumtin... i guess that mic is good

I have the G35 (Wired version of the G930) and it's so damn comfy for me O_o. I don't know why it's so uncomfortable for you.

Really the HyperX cloud lives up to its name. Impeccable headset/headphones for the price, great noise isolation and a detachable mic. It's a great headset but you must be warned, Linus already mentioned it too, it's still a tad on the bass heavy side though the mids and highs are still pretty good. I tried the PC350 but they were super uncomfortable for me and the mic was incredibly bad so I returned them. The HD558 and Takstar I cannot judge. If I were to recommend one of these I would recommend the HyperX cloud

The superlux is the one thats uncomfortable. The g930 is okay.. slightly heavy and far from something I'd like to wear for more than 2hrs.

but that doesnt mean that headphones actually sound well, especially low end stuff

get Superlux 681 EVO, the one that comes with extra velour pads ( new stock ) and get mod mic or something. you could also try velcro or sumtin... i guess that mic is good

not sure i feel about basically doing a side grade getting the 681 evo.

To add, I prefer something with a good soundstage(a good closed with a slight smaller soundstage is fine too) that isn't too fatiguing to listen too. The g930's simulated soundstage is okay but it feels so "heavy" to listen to that its actually fatiguing trying to listen for footsteps in CS:GO.

not sure i feel about basically doing a side grade getting the 681 evo.

To add, I prefer something with a good soundstage(a good closed with a slight smaller soundstage is fine too) that isn't too fatiguing to listen too. The g930's simulated soundstage is okay but it feels so "heavy" to listen to that its actually fatiguing trying to listen for footsteps in CS:GO.

Good feedback.

681 EVO is new, doesnt have harsh highs, its semi open, also velour pads help that, the same with comfort.

if you want, you can get velour pads for your 668b and be done with it. also if highs bother you, you can put peace or two of fabric between driver and ear. If you want, you can also angle it by putting some fabric between pads and cup so its angled driver like some pads have allready.

Should serve you very well.

then you can buy modmic for ease of use.

how about mic? do you like your current one?

Good feedback.

681 EVO is new, doesnt have harsh highs, its semi open, also velour pads help that, the same with comfort.

if you want, you can get velour pads for your 668b and be done with it. also if highs bother you, you can put peace or two of fabric between driver and ear. If you want, you can also angle it by putting some fabric between pads and cup so its angled driver like some pads have allready.

Should serve you very well.

then you can buy modmic for ease of use.

how about mic? do you like your current one?

the fatiguing i experience from the g930 is a little different from sibilance. Its more like everything is augmented with bass and gets tiring to listen to. The current mic is good. although I'm kinda wishing I waited for the antlion modmic to get into stock instead of buying what I current have.

Actually even their low end stuff sounds better than say something of the same price with other manufacturers. But yeah, at $200, there're a lot of options out there on the market. A big reason for me liking the Urbanite is because of that headband which is better than almost anything out there in the market.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

trying to decide on a new pair of headphones / headset.

My current setup is:

1. Logitech G930 (meh)

2. Superlux HD668B paired with a vmoda boom pro mic taped (yes taped) to the side. Reason being that the detachable end of the 668b's is a male and a coupler makes the mic sit too low and swings like a monkey reaching for a banana.

I currently have the option to pick up a used PC350SE for around $60-$70 and was thinking of selling the g930 to do this. I'm not sure if its just a combination of bad firmware/software and the g930 just not working properly but picking up sounds is no where NEAR as good as what people have led me to think when I first bought it. This fact was made apparently when I first got my 668b.

The other option is to buy a hyperx cloud due to linus's raving review of the thing.

Next is the takstar hi 2050.

Last but not least is to pick up a hd558 used for $80 or new for $100.

I'm not sure if its just the fact that I don't like the closed back design or if its just the g930. I remember loving the creative hs800 so much that I bought a second after the first one broke and I believe those were closed back.

Anyone with experiences with at least 2 of the listed cans please chime in for advice. It's too hard to gain insight when most users have only had experience with one or the other.

TLDR:

Upgrading from g930 and superlux 668b

options:

takstar hi 2050

pc350se

hyperx cloud

hd558

I have the Asus xense (sound card plus PC350 combo) and just love the PC350s.  They are built well and are very comfortable.  They block out some surrounding noise but not so much that it's irritating.  Of all the options it will have the best mic too.  Yea the mic is on a huge boom but hey it sounds good so all my friends online can hear me loud and clear.

1 Timothy 1:15

I have the Asus xense (sound card plus PC350 combo) and just love the PC350s.  They are built well and are very comfortable.  They block out some surrounding noise but not so much that it's irritating.  Of all the options it will have the best mic too.  Yea the mic is on a huge boom but hey it sounds good so all my friends online can hear me loud and clear.

hows the comfort? thats probably at the top of my list. 

Comfort

Soundstage

Mic quality

I'm in the same boat as you... using the G930's, and just starting to not dig 'em. Plus, I'm starting to have issues with them after a fresh reboot. In the Playback/Recording devices it will just cycle showing up/disappearing about ever second for a few minutes to SEVERAL minutes. What's worse is my gaming rig is also an HTPC hooked up to my TV... so when firing it up to watch movie this causes issues because it makes the sound glitch on my motherboard audio each time it's cycling. Which is unfortunate because I LOVE the freedom of wireless.

I just ordered HD 380 Pro's a few minutes ago, and plan to Modmic 'em. Sorry I can't offer any feedback on the ones you're interested in, but I can say why I chose the 380 Pro's. ---

1. I own the HD 280 Pro's which I like aside from weak bass without EQ. The 380 Pro's are supposed to be a bit better with bass, although still fairly flat on the EQ.

2. Sound stage is supposed to be improved over the HD 280 Pro's. I will agree the HD 280 Pro's sound stage isn't the greatest, but years ago they severed me VERY well playing Quake 3.

3. I wanted something that would cover my ears a bit better than the HD 280 Pro's..

4. It has a detachable cable (although it's a 2.5mm connector on the headphone end). This would allow me to buy a second straight cable and rig up something with the Modmic to make it like '1' cable. Heatshrink them together perhaps. Then I'd have a cable for music listening..and a cable for gaming. 

Actually even their low end stuff sounds better than say something of the same price with other manufacturers. But yeah, at $200, there're a lot of options out there on the market. A big reason for me liking the Urbanite is because of that headband which is better than almost anything out there in the market.

excluding superlux, monoprice, koss, JVC, sony,  incipio, panasonic, pioneer, beyerdynamic who all sell better sounding cans for cheap

soo... no. some high end sennheisers even have same driver but cost more, you can mod it to sound similar, since they put foam in the back of the driver.

Comfort

Soundstage

Mic quality

Once you were them for a while you wont even know that they are there.  They can get warm but that's only after wearing them for like 4 hours strait and most closed headphones suffer the same.  Sound stage is good for closed headphones but nothing like an open design. 

1 Timothy 1:15

excluding superlux, monoprice, koss, JVC, sony,  incipio, panasonic, pioneer, beyerdynamic who all sell better sounding cans for cheap

soo... no. some high end sennheisers even have same driver but cost more, you can mod it to sound similar, since they put foam in the back of the driver.

Sorry but I don't think that to be absolutely true. I've tried a bunch of Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, and JVC earphones and they all for short for a Sennheiser of the same price.

I know. I've tried.

EDIT:

But, our ears are subjective, you may not like a Sennheiser but go for a Bose kinda guy. So yeah, subjective this is.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Sorry but I don't think that to be absolutely true. I've tried a bunch of Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, and JVC earphones and they all for short for a Sennheiser of the same price.

I know. I've tried.

EDIT:

But, our ears are subjective, you may not like a Sennheiser but go for a Bose kinda guy. So yeah, subjective this is.

Ok, tell me what sub 0 - 100$ sennheiser headphones sound the best?

And then i tell you substitute.

Comfort

Soundstage

Mic quality

Well the hd 558 is comfortable, has a great soundstage, but you'll need a modmic or something.

i ended up getting the pc350se for 65 and this guy must not have lied about not using it much cause the clamp force is still strong as hell. to the point where i had to put on a hat to keep using it in a match because i was getting a migraine. I'm not sure how well I like the sound vs my logitech g930. It sounds better for sure but not as significant as I had hoped especially with it clamping my head even harder than the heavy g930. I may just try to sell this and get a 558 to pair with my vmoda boom mic

Ok, tell me what sub 0 - 100$ sennheiser headphones sound the best?

And then i tell you substitute.

Ok thanks for your kind offer. And I am willing to listen - currently in the market for cheap substitutes ;)

MX 365. I've tried this before. Needs high input though.

By the way, sorry OP if we're discussing here :lol:

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

i ended up getting the pc350se for 65 and this guy must not have lied about not using it much cause the clamp force is still strong as hell. to the point where i had to put on a hat to keep using it in a match because i was getting a migraine. I'm not sure how well I like the sound vs my logitech g930. It sounds better for sure but not as significant as I had hoped especially with it clamping my head even harder than the heavy g930. I may just try to sell this and get a 558 to pair with my vmoda boom mic

Didn't you get to try them out first before you bought 'em?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Didn't you get to try them out first before you bought 'em?

it was a silly mistake on me but i was in a rush to the gym so I just picked them up and left. Didn't even bother testing them since I didn't think anyone would be dumb enough to choose their house as a destination to scam me at.

it was a silly mistake on me but i was in a rush to the gym so I just picked them up and left. Didn't even bother testing them since I didn't think anyone would be dumb enough to choose their house as a destination to scam me at.

Well at least you know now. Better up the budget or go for brands known for their sound quality next time.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Well at least you know now. Better up the budget or go for brands known for their sound quality next time.

? sennheiser is known for their sound quality... and the headphones new run $130

? sennheiser is known for their sound quality... and the headphones new run $130

Yeah but in that price range, you can check out Audio Technica, they also have some good stuff at that.

Different brands have their own specialty in sound.

Say for example, Sennheiser focuses more on providing a balanced sound experience although they do have some bass-y products for the new kids.

Sony is good on the low frequencies although I don't really like the mids and highs a bit.

Audio Technica is different overall, they might be good for some people who like the smiley face frequency equalizer thingy, but it's really really good with lows and highs, maybe a bit too high for my taste but still good.

I bought an Audio Technica ATH-CKM500 recently, and it really really does sound excellent. I was choosing between that and a Sennheiser CX 870, both of which cost roughly near $60. These are both in-ear earphones by the way.

The CX 870 was extremely well balanced compared to the ATH-CKM500 but it lacked a bit on the low range frequencies especially when all of the instruments start to mix. In the end I got the Audio Technica one because it had the best low frequency sound and sharp highs although I still like the mids of the CX 870. And I know it's a different market segment altogether, I compared it to a Razer Kraken, unfair comparison really. Of course the Kraken's bass sounds better but I'd still choose the one I got over it because of better overall sound.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Ok thanks for your kind offer. And I am willing to listen - currently in the market for cheap substitutes ;)

MX 365. I've tried this before. Needs high input though.

By the way, sorry OP if we're discussing here :lol:

I asked for headphones.